Bambu did it, so I need to do it aswellThis blog has the purpose to name most (not all, there's next to no limit) of the possible resistances that character (PC or NPC) from the tabletop RPG Anima: Beyond Fantasy. Take into account that this is not about that character about this serie can resist everything, but mostly about no all powers is limitless and can be resisted, although depending of the Anima power and character, it can resist 50% of the time or be completely immune.
Due to translation problems, any source from the Core Book will be in spanish to be more accurate (translation is a mess in that book).
so better learn spanish before discussing about this game.
These checks represent the capability of the character to avoid any harmful effect. There's five different resistances:
- Physic Resistance (PhR): Represent the character's endurance against physical damage and shock, main resistance for avoiding Crital Hits (PhR + 1d100 vs produced damage + 1d100), strikes that vary from simply pain to instant death. It depends of CONstitution, that measure the stamina, endurance and vitality of the character.
- Disease Resistance (DR): Allow the character to avoid getting sick and being affected by the plague or pestilance. A difference from any Resistance Check, passing one of these do not erase the sickness, but rather simply avoid to being harmed by it, so even resisting it wouldn't make it dissapear without time or medicine. It depends of CON, and due to its simplicity, I do not need to put examples of these checks.
- Venom Resistance (VR): Its used to avoid being poisoned. It depends of CON, and due to its simplicity, I do not need to put examples of these checks.
- Magic Resistance (MR): Allow the character to resist the esoteric effects of magic or any supernatural effect. This is the most broad resistance, although few of these abilities cover also PhR or PsR, in which case the character can use the higher of them to resist the effects (for example, a magic trick that erase your memory can be resisted using MR or PsR). It depedns of POWer, that represent the animic or spiritual potential of the character.
- Psyquic Resistance (PsR): Its the character's willpower to resist any psyquic assault and that affect the mind. It depends of WILlpower, that represent the mental strength, composture and tenacity of the character.
So in short: PhR = Any effect that directly affect the body, MR = Any supernatural or magical effect, and PsR = Any effect that directly goes for the mind or will. There's no need to add DR of VR.
- Destruction/Damage: Destruction by Ki, Erasing Points, Explosion by Blood, Destruction caused by vibrations, Destruction caused by sound, Void explosion, by acid, Internal Rupturing, Internal rupturing caused by mini supernova
- Burning: Conventional burning, Drying any liquid from ones body, Internal burning
- Body Manipulation/Transmutation: Manipulated by infected blood, Telekinesis, General rule about electricity, any time someone suffer ELEctric damage has the change to suffer from shock (negative to all action) or even being knocked down, Bio-Electricity Manipulation (Also involve paralysis), Blood Manipulation (Also MR due to its nature. Also produce damage), Atomic Manipulation, More Atomic Manipulation, Crystalization, More Crystalization
- Crushing: Crushed by gravity, Gravity once again, Crushed by Air, Crushed by water, Twisting (Also apply for MR)
- Power Nullification/Power Absorption: Nullifying of Ki, Magic and Psyquic powers, Magic Nullification, Life-Force Absorption, More Ki Absorption
- Freezing: General rule about cold, any time someone suffer from COLd damage someone have to pass an PhR check against the damage or suffer a negative to any action (Due to low temperatures), Freeze, Absolute Zero has a PhR difficulty of 100, A more advanced type of freezing, Several freezing examples
- Information Analysis: Detection by Movement, Detection of Temperature, Perceive Electricity (And Bio-electricity)
- Sense Manipulation: Fear and Pain Inducement, Torture, Perception Manipulation, Rule about Phantasmal Illusion (Basically Psychosomantic Illusion) if you can pass a the check, there's no harmful effects
- Status Effect Inducement: Blinding, Paralysis, Status Decreasing, Pressure Point Attacks (At advanced degree can produce few other effects)
- Death Manipulation: Death Inducement (PhR or MR due to its nature), Basic Killing
- Mental Inducement: Destroying the mind, Meta Fear Inducement (Can't be ressited, but stronger effects can be avoided], Madness inducement, Confusion, Mind Control, Hypnosis, Reducing mental resistances, Hellfire secundary effects.
- Information Analysis: Mind scanning, Mind Reading, Lie detection, Perceive feelings, Detect sin.
- Subconscious: Dreamwalking, Dream trapping, Memory creation, Destroy Memories, Cheting memories.
- Empathic Manipulation: Spell that makes you belive the caster is the most beautiful thing, Altering behavior, Share the feelings, Induce Calm, Unnatural influencing, Forcing someone to tell a lie, Destroying feelings, Domination.
- Due magic and supernatural attacks cover the most broad of abilities, any effected like the ones listened above can be resisted.
- There's 11 magic paths and 8 subpaths, making around 520 spells, so instead os listing all of them I'm going to list the most uniques to save a lot of work:
- Destruction: reduce the level of gnosis of the target, Nonexistance, Destruction via absolute light, Destroy capabilities, Decreate, erasing memories and actions from entities and civilizations, Destruy Resistances
- Probability Manipulation: Alter the luck of others
- Time Manipulation: Time Slow, Sends people to the future, Time Stop
- Fate Manipulation: Alter fate, Alter fate in a literally way
- Chaos Manipulation: Erasing the concept of logic (only on Arcane level, as one can avoid being unified by the chaos), Change the result of an action
- BFR: Being imprisioned in another universe, Causing a reality breach (can't avoid it, but can allow one to pass throw it when no one could, Sends creatures back to the Nexus of Souls (One-Hit Kill for undeads), Forced teleportation
- Law Manipulation: Law that avoid people do something, A zone that avoid people to kill each others
- Subjective Reality: Makes a straight lie turns real
- Others: Knowledge absorption, Revert gravity, Possession, Becoming the lord of one's dreams/nightmares, Brings someone worst nightmare to life, Vector Manipulation
- From the summonings:
Some times, for some reasons, few effects to not faw under any of the previous resistance, not considered physical, mental or supernatural, those Presence Resistances. Presence (or Spiritual Presence) refer to the intrinsic worth that the entity or object has in reality, the addition of all its existential aspects. All resistances depends of Presence (MR = Presence + POWer bonus, PhR, VR and DR = Presence + CONstitution bonus, and PsR = Presence + WILlpower bonus), and Presence depends of the character's level or objects complexity, material, size, age, etc. So it means that Presence Checks works regardles of the levels of POW, CON and WIL, and since inanimate objects have Presence too, they can also resist to any effect (everyone mentioned above).
- Succubus "Death by Kiss/Sex", that absorb soul and life-force, and thus, Presence
- Soul Scavanger nesting on someone
- The ki ability Combat Aura force (although the target can use the Composture bonus), that cause speed decrease, fear, paralysis and even fainting
- One of the Pilar of Souls, Longuinus, absorb the powers of whoever it damaged