|“||Listen to my story. This... may be our last chance.||„|
The protagonist of Final Fantasy X, Tidus was about to play a match of blitzball match in the Jecht Memorial Cup when Sin attacked, resulting in the destruction of Zanarkland. He wakes up in the Baaj Temple in the world of Spira, upon which he is informed by a girl named Rikku that Zanarkland was destroyed a thousand years ago. Confused and out of place, he meets Yuna, a fledgling summoner about to begin her pilgrimage to defeat Sin as many had done before her and believes his story due to meeting Jecht when she was younger. Hoping to find a way home, Tidus joins Yuna on her quest and becomes the keystone of a much greater scheme as the story progresses.
Powers and Stats
Tier: Low 5-B
Origin: Final Fantasy X
Classification: Human/Dream of the Fayth, Guardian, Blitzball Player, Ace
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Acrobatics, Skilled Swordsman, Immortality (Type 8, dependant on being unaware he was beckoned back by Yuna), Magic, Non-Physical Interaction (Able to kill the lingering Ghosts in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth and the Wraiths found Inside Sin), Statistics Amplification (Via Cheer, Aim, Focus, Reflex, Protect and Shell), Time Manipulation (Can accelerate himself or slow down enemies in time with Hastega and Slowga), Energy Projection (Via Energy Rain and Flare), Healing, Damage Negation (Can completely nullify certain elemental attacks once via NulBlaze, NulShock, NulTide and NulFrost), Purification (Type 3 via Esuna and various items), Resurrection (Via Life, Full-Life and Auto-Life), Attack Reflection (Via Reflect), Power Nullification (Via Dispel and Silence Attack/Buster), Regeneration (Mid-Low via Regen), Radiation Manipulation, Holy Manipulation, Darkness Manipulation (Via Dark Attack/Buster), Sleep Manipulation (Via Sleep Attack/Buster), Absorption (Via Drain, Osmose and Eater abilities), Fire Manipulation, Ice Manipulation, Electricity Manipulation, Water Manipulation, Poison Manipulation (Via Bio), Gravity Manipulation (Via Demi), Death Manipulation (Via Death), Information Analysis (Via Scan and Sensor), Probability Manipulation (Via Jinx and Luck), Statistics Reduction (Via Break abilities), Damage Reduction (Via Sentinel), Fear Manipulation (Via Threaten), Necromancy and Transmutation (Via Zombie Attack), Social Influencing (Can bribe mindless monsters to leave battle), Power Mimicry (Via Copycat), Durability Negation (Via Piercing and Demi), Enhanced Senses and Stealth Mastery (Via Initiative), Petrification (Via Stonestrike), Curse Manipulation and Death Manipulation (Via Candles of Life), Can draw resistances from targets (Was capable of drawing resistances to Earth and Wind manipulation from Wol.) Resistance to Fire Manipulation, Ice Manipulation, Electricity Manipulation, Water Manipulation, Darkness Manipulation, Power Nullification, Sleep Manipulation, Poison Manipulation, Petrification, Death Manipulation, Necromancy, Transmutation, Time Manipulation (In the form of Time Slow and Stop), Mind Manipulation, Empathic Manipulation, Curse Manipulation, Radiation Manipulation, Absolute Zero (Can withstand Shiva's presence and attacks), and Memory Manipulation (Can challenge Sin head-on without being impeded by its toxin)
Attack Potency: Small Planet level (Capable of hurting Sin with his attacks, who is unaffected by the Gravitational Forces created as an effect of his Giga Graviton move. Furthermore, is considered by Lulu to have proven himself as a Guardian, maybe even as the best, after the final battle with Overdrive Sin, Implying his efforts and the efforts of at least one more Guardian were significant towards defeating Sin)
Striking Strength: Small Planet Class (Capable of harming Sin and the Final Aeon whose role is to defeat Sin)
Durability: Small Planet level (Can withstand the gravitational force exerted by Sin's Giga Graviton, however a direct impact would instantly kill him. Additionally, Tidus, regarded as one of the best Guardians ever, should be no less durable than Rikku, a Guardian of lesser note able to survive multiple Meteor spells and an Ultima from Trema, a character stronger than a Final Aeon-level Fiend, Paragon/Lord Zaon)
Stamina: Very high
Range: Extended melee range with Brotherhood/Caladbolg, several dozen meters with magic and Blitzball techniques
▪ Longsword: Tidus' initial weapon, given to him by Auron in the Dream Zanarkand as a gift from Jecht. A simple sword that he uses to fight off enemies
▪ Brotherhood: A sword gifted to Tidus by Wakka, originally meant for his brother Chappu. It comes with both the Waterstrike and Sensor abilities, adding water elemental damage to its attacks and analyzing an enemy's strength, in addition to significantly boosting Tidus' attack power.
▪ Caladbolg: Tidus' Celestial Weapon, obtained in the Calm Lands after escaping from Bevelle. It naturally ignores enemy defense, harming them regardless of attempts to increase their durability, and makes Tidus instinctively evade and counter attacks.
▪ Blitzball: A spherically-studded ball used in the Blitzball sport across Spira. Tidus primarily uses it for ranged attacks, hitting enemies from several dozen meters away.
Intelligence: Tidus is a master swordsman and shield wielder at the end of the game, comparable to legendary warriors and Guardians like his father Jecht and Auron. While he lags behind them in blocking attacks and in the use of brute force, he is far more agile and acrobatic, specializing in dodging attacks before dishing out lethal counterattacks in return with a variety of swift maneuvers. He also triumphed over Spira's strongest, most notably, he managed to defeat Yu Yevon and Sin once and for all, a feat thought impossible up to that point.
Weaknesses: None notable
▪ Cheer: Tidus enhances his party's attack power and durability.
▪ Hastega: Tidus accelerates time for his party, dramatically increasing their speed.
▪ Slowga: Tidus distorts time around his enemies, dramatically decreasing their speed.
▪ Delay Buster: Tidus strikes his enemy with an incredibly powerful blow, significantly increasing the time they need to take their next action.
▪ Provoke: Tidus taunts an enemy, encouraging them to attack him over his allies.
▪ Swordplay: Tidus' Overdrive, a collection of sword techniques that he gradually develops as he uses this Overdrive repeatedly.
- Spiral Cut: Tidus performs a series of flips and cartwheels towards his enemy, before leaping and slamming his sword down on them.
- Slice & Dice: Tidus darts back and forth around his enemies, striking them six times.
- Energy Rain: Tidus jumps off of one enemy into the air, charging energy in his sword and throwing it down to explode on enemies.
- Blitz Ace: Tidus leaps forward and slashes at his enemy eight times, before using the hilt of his sword to leap into the air and kicking a Blitzball into his target, which explodes on impact.
Contrary to popular belief, the party members are not limited to their sections of the Sphere Grid and are capable of branching into the sections of other characters. Key Spheres, which are strictly used for this purpose, are canonically given out at certain points in the story, and character-exclusive abilities like Lulu's Black Magic and Kimahri's Lancet are discussed as if they are common abilities and not completely restricted to the characters in question. As a result, the party is entirely capable of using each others' abilities, as long as they are part of the Sphere Grid.
Yuna's Sphere Grid:
▪ Curaga: Tidus significantly heals himself or one of his allies.
▪ NulBlaze: Tidus nullifies all fire damage for himself and his allies for one attack.
▪ NulShock: Tidus nullifies all lightning damage for himself and his allies for one attack.
▪ NulTide: Tidus nullifies all water damage for himself and his allies for one attack.
▪ NulFrost: Tidus nullifies all ice damage for himself and his allies for one attack.
▪ Esuna: Tidus removes all negative status effects on himself or one of his allies.
▪ Life: Tidus revives one of his allies if they happen to die, though they are nonetheless still significantly injured.
▪ Full-Life: Tidus revives one of his allies at their full strength.
▪ Shell: Tidus enhances an ally's magic defense, halving the damage of all spells directed at them. However, this is also inclusive of any healing spells.
▪ Protect: Tidus enhances an ally's physical defense, halving any damage they receive from physical attacks.
▪ Reflect: Tidus creates a barrier around himself that automatically reflects any spell back at his enemy.
▪ Dispel: Tidus removes any sort of buffs his enemy has that would increase their power.
▪ Regen: Tidus casts a spell that gradually heals himself or one of his allies over a period of time.
▪ Auto-Life: Tidus casts a spell that ensures that, upon death, he will be automatically revived.
Holy: Tidus calls down a massive beam of holy-elemental energy to blast his foes.
Wakka's Sphere Grid:
▪ Dark Attack: Tidus strikes his enemy, blinding them with darkness for an extended period of time.
▪ Silence Attack: Tidus strikes his enemy, silencing them and preventing them from using magic.
▪ Aim: Tidus increases his party's accuracy, allowing them to more easily land attacks on evasive foes.
▪ Sleep Attack: Tidus strikes his enemy and puts them to sleep.
▪ Dark Buster: An enhanced version of Dark Attack, lasting for a shorter amount of time but bypassing standard resistance to it.
▪ Drain: Tidus siphons vitality from his enemy, healing him while damaging them in the process.
▪ Silence Buster: An enhanced version of Silence Attack, lasting for a shorter amount of time but bypassing standard resistance to it.
▪ Sleep Buster: An enhanced version of Sleep Attack, lasting for a shorter amount of time but bypassing standard resistance to it.
▪ Osmose: Tidus absorbs his enemy's magic energy to refuel his own supply.
▪ Triple Foul: Tidus attacks his enemy, inflicting Dark, Silence and Sleep simultaneously in a combination of Dark Attack, Silence Attack and Sleep Attack.
Lulu's Sphere Grid:
▪ Doublecast: Tidus is able to rapidly cast two copies of the same spell simultaneously, effectively doubling his casting speed and firepower.
▪ Focus: Tidus increases his allies' magic power and magic defense.
▪ Reflex: Tidus increases his party's evasion, making it easier for them to dodge attacks.
▪ Firaga: Tidus scorches his target with a massive fireball to deal heavy fire-elemental damage.
▪ Blizzaga: Tidus freezes his target with huge ice crystals, dealing heavy ice-elemental damage.
▪ Thundaga: Tidus calls down several large lightning bolts to smite his enemies, dealing heavy lightning-elemental damage.
▪ Waterga: Tidus generates a spontaneous burst of water that crashes into her opponent like a geyser, dealing heavy water-elemental damage.
▪ Bio: Tidus creates a cloud of noxious gas that poisons his enemies.
▪ Demi: Tidus creates a condensed sphere of gravity that crushes enemies under its weight.
▪ Death: Tidus summons a spectral figure, which drags its talons though his target's chest and instantly kills them. This also works on robotic enemies and ghosts unless they explicitly resist instant death.
▪ Flare: Tidus generates a spontaneous nuclear reaction that engulfs the targets in a massive non-elemental burst of energy.
▪ Ultima: The ultimate Black Magic, Tidus blasts his foes with an incredible amount of arcane energy, exceeding all other spells in his arsenal in terms of raw power.
Kimahri's Sphere Grid:
▪ Lancet: Tidus absorbs energy from his enemy to heal himself and restore his magic reserves. However, as he is not a Ronso, he cannot use this to learn enemy abilities like Kimahri can.
▪ Scan: Tidus analyzes his target's vital statistics, determining their strength, elemental weaknesses, and ways to defeat them.
▪ Jinx: Tidus lowers all of his enemies' "luck", decreasing their chance of hitting him with their attacks.
Rikku's Sphere Grid:
▪ Steal: Tidus secretly grabs items his opponents may possess to use for himself.
▪ Luck: Tidus raises his party's "luck", making it easier for them to dodge attacks.
▪ Spare Change: Tidus tosses a random amount of gil at his opponents, dealing damage dependent on how much he uses.
▪ Mug: Tidus attacks an enemy while simultaneously stealing from them.
▪ Bribe: Tidus offers his enemy a large sum of gil, potentially convincing them to leave the battle and leave their possessions behind, regardless of their sentience or comprehension of money.
▪ Pilfer Gil: Tidus attacks his enemy while stealing any money they have.
▪ Copycat: Tidus mimics the previous action of one ally, using whatever technique they had just used.
Auron's Sphere Grid:
▪ Power Break: Tidus strikes his enemy, halving their physical power.
▪ Magic Break: Tidus strikes his enemy, halving their magic power.
▪ Armor Break: Tidus strikes his enemy, halving their defense and shattering their armored defense.
▪ Mental Break: Tidus strikes his enemy, halving their magic defense.
▪ Full Break: Tidus strikes his enemy, inflicting Power, Magic, Armor and Mental Break at once.
▪ Guard: Tidus defends an ally from damage, taking the attack for them instead.
▪ Sentinel: Tidus enters a defensive stance, decreasing the damage he receives from attacks.
▪ Threaten: Tidus immobilizes his enemy with fear after threatening them.
▪ Entrust: Tidus grants one of his allies the ability to quickly access their Overdrive, at the cost of his own Overdrive gauge.
▪ Zombie Attack: Tidus strikes his enemy, transmuting them into a zombie and making them be damaged by healing spells and items.
▪ Sensor: Passively analyzes an enemy, though not to the extent of Scan, telling Tidus the enemy's strength, elemental weaknesses and general tips to fight them.
▪ Piercing: Makes damage from Tidus's weapon bypass natural armor, hitting the enemy directly.
▪ First Strike: Enhances Tidus's speed to allow him to more easily land the first attack in combat, even if she's caught off-guard.
▪ Initiative: Enhances Tidus's awareness and stealth abilities, allowing him a greater chance of landing a preemptive strike and preventing him from being ambushed.
▪ Firestrike: Applies fire elemental damage to basic attacks.
▪ Lightningstrike: Applies lightning elemental damage to basic attacks.
▪ Waterstrike: Applies water elemental damage to basic attacks.
▪ Icestrike: Applies ice elemental damage to basic attacks.
▪ Darkstrike: Applies the Dark status with regular attacks, blinding enemies with darkness and making it much more difficult for them to land their attacks.
▪ Silencestrike: Applies the Silence status with regular attacks, preventing enemies from using magic.
▪ Sleepstrike: Applies the Sleep status with regular attacks, putting enemies to sleep.
▪ Poisonstrike: Applies the Poison status with regular attacks, poisoning enemies.
▪ Stonestrike: Applies the Stone status with regular attacks, petrifying enemies and allowing him to shatter them afterwards.
▪ Deathstrike: Applies the Death status with regular attacks, instantly killing them.
▪ Zombiestrike: Applies the Zombie status with regular attacks, turning the enemy undead and making them vulnerable to healing items and spells.
▪ Slowstrike: Applies the Slow status with regular attacks, bending time around them to slow their movements.
▪ Counterattack: Allows Tidus to instinctually counter physical attacks that hit him.
▪ Evade & Counter: Allows Tidus to instinctually dodge attacks and counter them.
▪ Magic Counter: Allows Tidus to instinctually counter magic attacks that hit him.
▪ Magic Booster: Significantly increases the power of Tidus's spells at the cost of increasing their energy cost.
▪ Alchemy: Significantly increases the power of healing items.
▪ One MP Cost: Dramatically reduces the energy needed to cast spells, allowing Tidus to cast many, many more than usual before requiring Ethers.
▪ Fireproof: Completely protects Tidus from fire damage from comparable opponents.
▪ Fire Eater: Allows Tidus to absorb damage from fire attacks, healing him instead.
▪ Lightningproof: Completely protects Tidus from lightning damage from comparable opponents.
▪ Lightning Eater: Allows Tidus to absorb damage from lightning attacks, healing him instead.
▪ Waterproof: Completely protects Tidus from water damage from comparable opponents.
▪ Water Eater: Allows Tidus to absorb damage from water attacks, healing him instead.
▪ Iceproof: Completely protects Tidus from ice damage from comparable opponents.
▪ Ice Eater: Allows Tidus to absorb damage from ice attacks, healing him instead.
▪ Darkproof: Protects Tidus from the Dark status, preventing him from being blinded.
▪ Silenceproof: Protects Tidus from the Silence status, allowing him to use magic freely.
▪ Sleepproof: Protects Tidus from the Sleep status, allowing him to resist being forcefully put to sleep.
▪ Poisonproof: Protects Tidus from the Poison status, blocking out poisons.
▪ Stoneproof: Protects Tidus from the Stone status, preventing him from being petrified.
▪ Deathproof: Protects Tidus from the Death status, guarding him from instant death abilities.
▪ Zombieproof: Protects Tidus from the Zombie status, preventing him from being transmuted into a zombie.
▪ Slowproof: Protects Tidus from the Slow status, nullifying attempts to slow him in time.
▪ Confuseproof: Protects Tidus from the Confuse status, keeping him cognitive functions instead of being twisted to attack himself.
▪ Berserkproof: Protects Tidus from the Berserk status, preventing him from being reduced to a mindless attacker.
▪ Curseproof: Protects Tidus from the Curse status, blocking curses and attempts to nullify his abilities.
▪ SOS NulBlaze: When Tidus enters critical condition, she is automatically granted the NulBlaze status, nullifying fire damage against him once.
▪ SOS NulShock: When Tidus enters critical condition, she is automatically granted the NulShock status, nullifying lightning damage against him once.
▪ SOS NulTide: When Tidus enters critical condition, she is automatically granted the NulTide status, nullifying water damage against him once.
▪ SOS NulFrost: When Tidus enters critical condition, she is automatically granted the NulFrost status, nullifying fire damage against him once.
▪ Auto-Shell: Passively applies the Shell status, halving damage Tidus receives from magic.
▪ Auto-Protect: Passively applies the Protect status, halving damage Tidus receives from physical attacks.
▪ Auto-Reflect: Passively applies the Reflect status, automatically reflecting magic attacks back at the caster.
▪ Auto-Haste: Passively applies the Haste status, dramatically increasing Tidus's speed by accelerating time around him.
▪ Auto-Regen: Passively applies the Regen status, gradually healing Tidus.
▪ HP Stroll: Gradually heals Tidus with every step she takes.
▪ MP Stroll: Gradually recovers Tidus's magic energy with every step she takes.
▪ Ribbon: Protects Tidus from any type of status effect, outside of instant death and Curse.
▪ X-Potion: Fully heals the target.
▪ Mega-Potion: Significantly heals all allies.
▪ Al Bhed Potion: Heals all allies and cures Poison, Silence and Stone.
▪ Healing Water: Fully heals the entire party.
▪ Tetra Elemental: Applies NulBlaze, NulShock, NulTide and NulFrost at once.
▪ Turbo Ether: Recovers a significant portion of the target's magic energy supply.
▪ Phoenix Down: Revives deceased allies from death, though Tidus cannot use it on himself unless she uses it right before his death, and when brought back she's still in fairly weak condition.
▪ Mega Phoenix: Revives all allies at full strength. Like with Phoenix Downs, it can't be used on Tidus himself unless used right before his death.
▪ Elixir: Fully heals an ally and restores their magic energy.
▪ Megalixir: Fully heals all allies while restoring their magic energy.
▪ Antidote: Cures the Poison status ailment, cleansing the target of poison.
▪ Soft: Cures the Stone status ailment, undoing petrification.
▪ Eye Drops: Cures the Dark status ailment, clearing their eyesight.
▪ Echo Screen: Cures the Silence status ailment, allowing the target to cast magic once again.
▪ Holy Water: Cures the Zombie and Curse status ailments, reverting the target back to a normal human and purging them of statuses that nullify their abilities.
▪ Remedy: Cures all negative status effects, including all of the above in addition to Confuse, Sleep, Slow and Berserk.
▪ Ice Gem: Damages all enemies with several blasts of ice magic.
▪ Fire Gem: Damages all enemies with several blasts of fire magic.
▪ Lightning Gem: Damages all enemies with several blasts of lightning magic.
▪ Water Gem: Damages all enemies with several blasts of water magic.
▪ Frag Grenade: Damages all enemies and inflicts Armor Break.
▪ Dream Powder: Damages all enemies and inflicts Sleep.
▪ Silence Grenade: Damages all enemies and inflicts Silence.
▪ Smoke Bomb: Damages all enemies and inflicts Dark.
▪ Shadow Gem: Creates a sphere of intense gravity that halves all enemies' vitality.
▪ Shining Gem: Creates a torrent of fire to damage an enemy.
▪ Blessed Gem: Generates effects comparable to Holy to bombard enemies with holy damage.
▪ Supreme Gem: Generates effects comparable to Ultima to deal immense damage.
▪ Poison Fang: Inflicts damage and casts Poison on one enemy.
▪ Gold Hourglass: Damages all enemies and delays their next action.
▪ Candle of Life: Casts Doom on all enemies, cursing them to die when the timer above their head reaches 0. Much like Death, this even works on robotic enemies and ghosts, and even enemies who resist instant death can still be killed, though the timer is considerably longer as a penalty.
▪ Petrify Grenade: Applies Stone to all enemies.
▪ Farplane Wind: Casts Death on all enemies.
▪ Dark Matter: Creates an extremely powerful gravitational singularity to heavily damage all enemies.
▪ Chocobo Wing: Casts Haste on all allies.
▪ Lunar Curtain: Casts Shell on one ally.
▪ Light Curtain: Casts Protect on one ally.
▪ Star Curtain: Casts Reflect on one ally.
▪ Healing Spring: Casts Regen on one ally.
▪ Soul Spring: Absorbs vitality and magic energy from an enemy.
▪ Purifying Salt: Damages an enemy and dispels their buffs.
▪ Stamina Tonic: Doubles all allies' vitality.
▪ Mana Tonic: Doubles all allies' magic energy.
▪ Three Stars: Sets the magic cost of all allies to 0, allowing them to use spells with impunity.