Son Goku is the main protagonist of the Dragon Ball metaseries. A Saiyan, sent to Earth as a baby with the mission to destroy it, Goku became a kind-hearted boy after he bumped his head and was adopted by Grandpa Gohan. After defeating Kid Buu, Goku works as a radish farmer before learning of the existence of the phenomenally powerful God of Destruction Beerus, and seeks to fight and surpass him. In the process, he is introduced to the universes that exist beyond his own, and the amazing warriors that they contain.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 4-B | At least 3-B | At least 3-B, higher with Completed Super Saiyan Blue and Power Stressed form | At least 3-B
Name: Son Goku, Kakarot
Origin: Dragon Ball
Age: 42 (physically 35) to 44 (physically 40)
Classification: Saiyan, Super Saiyan, Saiyan God
Powers and Abilities:
Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Master Martial Artist, possibly Self-Sustenance (Possibly type 2 and 3, didn't eat or sleep for 150 days straight while training), Ki Manipulation (Can be used defensively and offensively, to strengthen his skin or to fire ki blasts, which can home in on targets, and form defensive barriers), Ki Sensing (Can locate others by reading their ki, detect malicious intent, difference in power levels, and beings in different dimensions), Supernatural Willpower (able to endure poison that takes immense will and spirit to survive), Enhanced Senses (Even without ki training, Goku has exceptional senses that allow him to locate small, distant objects by tracking their smell, see clearly over long distances, and track the movements of others even in pitch black conditions by feeling vibrations in the air), Analytical Prediction, Acrobatics, Flight, Pressure Point Strikes, Shockwaves Generation (Can create powerful shockwaves via Kiai), Afterimage Creation, Power Mimicry (Can easily replicate other Ki-based techniques after seeing them once), Light Manipulation (Can create flashes of light via Solar flare to blind opponents and Super Saiyan forms can glow in pitch-black conditions), Telepathy (Can telepathically communicate with others and read minds), Teleportation, Dimensional Travel, BFR, Fusionism (Via Fusion Dance), Accelerated Development (Training; Physical Stats, Abilities), Reactive Power Level (As a Saiyan, Goku grows stronger every time he fights and can become stronger in the midst of combat, vastly increasing in strength whenever he is mortally injured), Statistics Amplification (Goku can greatly enhance his capabilities with Kaio-ken, by potentially up to twenty times), Rage Power, Transformation (Can transform into a Super Saiyan, increasing his capabilities drastically), Sealing with the Mafuba, Summoning (He can summon Zen'ō by pushing a button, but this is not applicable to combat), Adapted to Gravity via the Gravity Machine, High Pain Tolerance, Instinctive Reaction, Resistance to Paralysis, Cold, Heat, Cosmic Radiations (Can fight in the upper atmosphere where radiation levels are exceedingly high), Poison Manipulation (Survived after drinking the Water of the Gods), and Harsh Temperatures (Survived and trained extensively for three years within the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, which has temperatures that range from -40°F to 248°F)
All previous abilities, Paralysis Inducement (via God Bind), Can possibly create dimensional rifts and destroy space-time and pocket dimensions with his energy via powerscaling, Resistance to Extrasensory Perception (Cannot be sensed by beings lesser than a God)
All previous abilities, Matter and Soul Destruction alongside possible Existence Erasure via Hakai (Capable of reducing beings to dust, destroying their soul, regardless of their durability and erasing them from existence), Resistance to Heat
All previous abilities, greater Instinctive Reaction, Limited Air Manipulation (Goku can punch the air rapidly at incredible speed to launch a barrage of air attacks), Telekinesis (Was able to lift and keep both Moro and Granola in the air without touching him), Illusion Creation (Able to create at least seven fake copies of himself), Large Size (Type 1 via Ki Construct; Can use Ki to create a giant construct shaped like himself), Deconstruction (Deconstructed a boulder in his fight against Moro), Resistance to Illusions (Goku could sense where the real Moro was despite his illusions), Information Analysis (Granolah was unable to find any weak points in him)
Attack Potency: Solar System level (Believed he could defeat Super Perfect Cell and possibly contend with Kid Buu with Super Saiyan alone) | At least Multi-Galaxy level (Capable of shaking the universe as well as eventually destroying it, however, the exact time frame is unknown) | At least Multi-Galaxy level (10% of Super Saiyan Blue alone is roughly comparable to the full power of the Super Saiyan God transformation), higher with Completed Super Saiyan Blue and Power Stressed form (As a Completed Super Saiyan Blue, he can use all 100% of his power, and contended with God Zamasu. Can enter a power stressed form similar to Kaio-ken for even more power), can ignore durability with Hakai | At least Multi-Galaxy level (Capable of contending with Jiren who is stronger than the God of Destruction of Universe 11, Belmod, who should be comparable to the likes of Champa and Beerus who were going to destroy Universe 7 in their fight. According to Goku, he would have been eventually able to defeat Jiren had the form been able to last longer), Can ignore durability with the Hakai
Speed: At least Massively FTL (Should be at least as fast as before, and if Goku's beliefs are correct, should be at least somewhat comparable to the speeds he showed as a Super Saiyan 3 back in the Buu Saga) | Massively FTL+ (Fought a casual Beerus, but still forced him to use more power than he could remember he has done in a long time, despite being able to fly through astronomical distances normally) | Massively FTL+ (Outmatched Hit, until he powered up further. Easily blitzed Zamasu using Super Saiyan God) | Massively FTL+ (Managed to blitz suppressed Jiren)
Striking Strength: Solar System Class | At least Multi-Galactic | At least Multi-Galactic, higher with Completed Super Saiyan Blue and Power Stressed form | At least Multi-Galactic
Durability: Solar System level | At least Multi-Galaxy level | At least Multi-Galaxy level, higher with Completed Super Saiyan Blue and Power Stressed form | At least Multi-Galaxy level
Stamina: Extremely high. Goku can train for days with minimal rest, and can fight through his long, arduous fights with the likes of Vegeta and Frieza, continuing to fight against Vegeta even after overexerting himself with Kaio-ken x4, and ultimately outlasting the latter even after being effortlessly beaten around, pushing himself to his limits with Kaio-ken, and exhausting himself with his Spirit Bomb. When he was younger, he managed to pull through and defeat Piccolo even after all of his limbs were broken and he was mortally injured. After defeating Frieza, he continuously meditated for 150 days while training on Yardrat | High as a Super Saiyan God | Significantly low with Super Saiyan Blue (Even using 10% of Super Saiyan Blue takes a significant amount of stamina to use, forcing him to switch to Super Saiyan God in rapid succession). Originally low with Completed Super Saiyan Blue (His body could only handle the strain of the Completed Super Saiyan Blue for a small amount of time, however, significantly greater than before), eventually became very high (Overcame the strain caused by the Completed Super Saiyan Blue) | Extremely low with Ultra Instinct (Only lasts a few moments before regressing back to his base form. Although in the Moro arc, he can use Ultra Instinct -Sign- at will and it lasts longer)
Range: Standard melee range. Interplanetary with ki blasts and attacks. Universal with Instant Transmission | Standard melee range, Universal with ki blasts, attacks (The shock waves of his blows can travel across the entire universe), and Instant Transmission | Standard melee range. Extended melee range with Hakai. Universal with Instant Transmission, ki blasts, and attacks | Same as before
Intelligence: Gifted. While he lacks knowledge when it comes to things that aren't related to fighting, Goku is a master of prodigal skill when it comes to martial arts, with years of experience fighting against powerful opponents with a plethora of abilities. His skill when it comes to combat and the usage of ki allows him to replicate other ki-based techniques after seeing them once, and he was the first to realize how much energy the Super Saiyan transformations unnecessarily drained. Despite this drawback, he was the first to master the Super Saiyan state, making it highly efficient. He is a genius in combat and is capable of devising new applications of his techniques on the fly, such as using Kamehameha with his feet. His intelligence allows him to predict the very movements of other skilled fighters even when they use Time Stop such as Hit. Overcame his stamina weakness as a Super Sayian Blue with his intellect, by rapidly changing between Super Saiyan God and Blue. Mastered the Super Saiyan Blue transformation in the middle of a fight against God Zamasu
Weaknesses: Goku seeks strong opponents and therefore will allow his opponents to reach their full power for the sake of a good fight. He often drops his guard and leaves openings for his opponents whenever he gets distracted, lowering his durability. His Spirit Bomb requires a long charge-up period, during which time he is vulnerable. He cannot survive in the vacuum of space and needs to locate a ki signature to teleport using Instant Transmission. The Mafuba requires a suitable container to seal the target into and drains a large amount of ki, the latter of which could kill him if he lacks sufficient ki | Mastered Super Saiyan Blue heavily strains his body, resulting in him exploding, though he has trained this away. His Power Stressed Form is essentially a weaker counterpart to the Kaio-ken, offering significantly more damage to his body from use | Ultra Instinct originally lasted seconds before reverting to his base form. After training with Merus, Goku can keep up his Ultra Instinct for much longer but it still drains his stamina rapidly. Furthermore, the accuracy of his Ultra Instinct also decreases overtime, as stated by Granolah.
Key: Base and normal Super Saiyan Transformations | Super Saiyan God | Super Saiyan Blue | Ultra Instinct
- Ki: The fighting power and life force of a martial artist, a tangible energy derived from the user's vigor, courage, and mind. It can be used in a number of ways, such as to surpass the limits of one's body to greatly increase in strength, and it can be fired as blasts and beams of energy from different parts of the body or used to create defensive barriers, explosions and shockwaves. Along with his Saiyan blood, Ki acts as the source of Goku's incredible power and abilities. Goku's prodigal skill in combat and the use of ki allows him to replicate the ki techniques of others after seeing them only once. After becoming a Super Saiyan God, Goku gained divine ki, which can only be sensed by other gods.
- Kamehameha: Goku's famous signature technique, which he learned after witnessing Master Roshi use it to extinguish the flames on Fire Mountain, successfully replicating it not long later on his first try. As his signature technique, it is something that Goku has used on many occasions, and he has created a number of variations over the course of his fighting experience, such as firing it from his feet, using it to propel himself into the air, and bending it mid-flight to catch opponents by surprise. Perhaps the most useful variation is the Instant Kamehameha, in which Goku uses Instant Transmission to teleport just before firing the attack, appearing right in front of his opponents and giving them no time to dodge.
- Kaio-ken: A technique developed by King Kai and taught to Goku during his time training on his planet. It greatly increases Goku's ki for just a moment, boosting his strength and speed significantly for that time. However, this heavily strains his body, and if he overuses it, it will leave him in intense pain all over his body, leaving him incapable of moving without causing himself further pain. Initially, the strongest Kaio-ken Goku can utilize is x4, but by the time of the Frieza Saga, he has mastered its use, allowing him to push it to his maximum of x20.
- Spirit Bomb: Goku's ultimate attack, taught to him by King Kai, performed by gathering a vast amount of energy from all the lifeforms in his surroundings to create a massive, incredibly destructive sphere of ki. To use it, one must have a pure heart, and so Goku is a perfect user of the technique due to his obliviously innocent nature. While it is incredibly powerful and can prove capable of completely destroying an opponent when used with sufficient power, it takes a very long time to charge and is therefore very difficult to use, though the charge time can be sped up by gathering energy from those who willingly and knowingly provide it. It is noted that if Goku makes even the smallest mistake using it, he could easily destroy Earth.
- Destructo Disc: Krillin's signature technique, which Goku presumably copied from him. Raising his hand above his head, Goku creates a razor-sharp disc of ki with incredible cutting power, and then throws it at his opponent. It should be noted that the Kienzan can cut through opponents that are several times stronger and more durable.
- Kiai: The ability to project an invisible burst of force with ki, which Goku can perform with his hands and even with a glare.
- Solar Flare: One of Tien Shinhan's signature techniques, which Goku copied from him during their match in the World Tournament. Bringing his hands up to his face, Goku can create a bright flash of light that can blind opponents.
- God Bind: A technique that can be used by Goku in his Super Saiyan God form. He transfers his own godly ki to the opponent's body, blocking them in place.
- Gravity Bash: Goku creates a compressed sphere of ki and hits the opponent while holding it in his palm.
- Fusion Dance: A special dance created on planet Metamor, learnt by Goku from the inhabitants of said planet. This technique allows to beings to fuse and become a much more powerful entity. To ensure an optimal result, the two must perform all poses correctly, otherwise the fused being will be weak and goofy. The more similar are the height and personality of the two, the better the new being will be, but it will always last only for 30 minutes, with this time limit becoming shorter if the strength of the fusion increases too much. Goku used it in order to face Broly, performing the Dance together with Vegeta and giving birth to Gogeta.
- Instant Transmission: A teleportation technique that Goku learned between the Frieza and Cell Sagas on the planet Yardrat, which allows him to lock onto the ki signatures of others and teleport to their locations. Its use takes some concentration, which is aided by Goku putting his index and middle fingers to his foreheads (He has also shown to teleport without placing his fingers), and he needs a ki signature to teleport to, otherwise, he cannot perform the technique. It can be used to teleport others as well, as long as they are in physical contact with Goku.
- Mafuba: Also known as the Evil Containment Wave, the Mafuba is a mystic sealing technique designed to seal evil away by sucking them into a special container with a "demon seal" ofuda on it. Goku learned this technique from Roshi, and attempted to use it to seal God Zamasu, but used the wrong tag, allowing him to break free.
- Hakai: In his battle against God Zamasu, Son Goku was forced to resort to using the Hakai, a technique he somehow mimicked from Beerus, despite never having seen it. With this technique, he can turn someone to dust by waving his hand in front of them, however, it uses a large amount of ki.
The physiology of a Saiyan, an aggressive warrior race of conquerors. Saiyans have the natural ability to control ki and to fly, likely the origin of Goku's own incredible skill when it comes to the usage and control of ki. In addition, while his lifespan is comparable to that of a human, Goku will remain at his peak strength for much longer. One of the most powerful abilities of a Saiyan is their ability to grow stronger and stronger through combat, allowing Goku to constantly push his own limits during a fight and rise to higher and higher peaks in power. This ability grants a substantial boost in power when Goku is badly injured, allowing him to reach a whole new level of power once he recovers.
- Super Saiyan: The famous, legendary transformation of a Saiyan that allows them to greatly surpass their limits and reach the fabled state that is Super Saiyan. Goku was the first Super Saiyan to appear in Dragon Ball, achieving the state after Frieza survived his most powerful attack, killed his best friend, and was about to kill him and his son. These transformations can be reached through extensive training, but are more often unlocked in moments of intense emotional turmoil and need, and due to the natural aggressiveness of Saiyans, they cause the user to become more aggressive and malicious, though Goku has managed to make these things effectively a non-issue through training. While immensely powerful, Super Saiyan transformations drain a lot of energy, and the first was very inefficient before Goku mastered the state and became a "Full Power Super Saiyan", allowing him to maintain the form effectively indefinitely without issue. While the original Super Saiyan state is eclipsed in power by Super Saiyan 2 and 3, the higher forms become increasingly inefficient in terms of energy usage.
- Super Saiyan God: A divine transformation that far surpasses the regular numbered Super Saiyan transformations, achieved through a ritual involving six righteous Saiyans, or through rigorous divine training. Goku reached this form with the help of his family and friends so that he could oppose the God of Destruction Beerus and stop him from destroying Earth. In this form, Goku gains divine ki and cannot be sensed by mortals. After achieving this form, Goku can transform into it whenever he wishes.
- Super Saiyan Blue: A form above a regular Super Saiyan God, originally it wasn't stable, resulting in massive stamina loss in short periods of time. The issue was big enough that both Goku and Vegeta could originally only result in 10%, and even that was draining. However, eventually, Goku completed the form, which made him retain all the excess ki he had inside his body, becoming an extremely efficient form. Goku also knows a way to further enhance his strength by drawing power from his reserves, at the cost of damaging his own body. This process has been compared to the Kaio-Ken.
A form that increases Goku's capabilities an extreme amount, and giving him instinctive reactions and allowing him to surpass the Gods of Destruction themselves. In the manga's interpretation, it seems that Goku might be able to access this form with significantly more ease, however, the transformation also lasts significantly less time. After training with Merus and honing his body, Goku has become able to enter and sustain the Ultra Instinct with ease, allowing him to fight better and for an extended period of time. While in this form, Goku's body automatically grows sturdier as necessary in response to enemy attacks.
During his training to hone the Ultra Instinct even more, Whis revealed that Goku must learn how to use it without having to rely on a transformation, which should be used only when he needs to surpass his limits. Mastering the Ultra Instinct in his normal form would allow him to be free from the stamina drain that creates a time limit. After further training, Goku apparently managed to achieve his objective and demonstrated the ability to dodge instinctively even in his base form.
- Air Blasts: Goku can fire a barrage of attacks by repeatedly punching the air at incredible speed.
- Telekinesis: Goku can immobilize and lift in the air an opponent, leaving them vulnerable.
- Illusory Duplicates: Goku acquired this technique after copying it from Whis. He can create at least seven copies of himself, each able to act independently from the real one. These clones are intangible and likely unable to hurt the opponent, but can serve as decoys.
- Ki Construct: When Goku uses Ultra Instinct at full power, he can create an enormous avatar of himself made of Ki and restrain larger opponents.
|Discussion threads involving Son Goku (Chou)|