|“||Heh heh heh heh heh... all right. well, here's a better question. Do you wanna have a bad time? 'cause if you take another step forward... you are REALLY not going to like what happens next.||„|
|~ Sans warning Frisk on the Genocide Route|
Sans is one of the guards of Snowdin Village. Lazy and frivolous with a knack for making puns and jokes, he has no interest in capturing humans, much to the chagrin of his brother, Papyrus. Despite his exceedingly laid-back attitude and status as "the easiest enemy", Sans has proven himself to be extremely observant and dangerous when pushed too far, becoming the final challenge Frisk faces on the Genocide Route and arguably the toughest opponent in the game.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 9-B Physically, 9-A with Magic and Projectiles
Name: Sans the Skeleton (never capitalized when spoken by himself)
Age: Unknown, (though Word of God confirms he is likely older than his brother)
Classification: Skeleton, Sentry, likely a scientist (hinted at through workshop), Professional Prankster
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Magic, Inorganic Physiology (Every monster in the game is stated to be made of magic), Non-Physical Interaction (Magic is shown to be capable of harming ghosts, as shown in the Mad Dummy fight where magic attacks are the only way to harm him as opposed to physical attacks), Genius Intelligence, Energy Projection, Soul Manipulation, KARMA, Bone Manipulation, Intangible Attacks, Teleportation (Of himself, others, and his attacks), Telekinesis, Gravity Manipulation, Able to lock his opponent in place so neither of them will be able to do anything (Sans essentially, in gameplay terms, never takes his turn, forcing his opponent to be locked in an unwinnable combat situation. This likely only works under the rules of Sans' universe, which he exploited to do this), Glyph Creation, Clairvoyance (Is capable of sensing Frisk's LOVE and EXP in the end of the Pacifist route), Danmaku, Resistance to Soul Manipulation (Like all monsters, he can defend against and take hits to his SOUL as if they were normal attacks) and Heat Manipulation (Can survive in the Hotlands which can reach temperatures high enough to vaporize a styrofoam cup and water instantly)
Attack Potency: Wall level Physically (Is the weakest Monster in the underground, even below Monster Kid in terms of raw strength, scales to his durability, his ATK and DEF are equal to each other), Small Building level with Magic and Projectiles (With Magic and Projectiles, he is capable of harming and killing Frisk), Can ignore Durability to an extent via SOUL Magic
Speed: Supersonic attack speed (Able to consistently tag Chara/Frisk), at least Supersonic+ reaction speed (Capable of consistently dodging Chara/Frisk to such a degree that they could never land a hit on Sans, even if they reset and knew exactly what he would do and where he would be, even if he was asleep. Only hit after his opponent broke the rules of the game to do so. Should be one of, if not the, fastest non-god tier characters in the game)
Lifting Strength: Unknown
Striking Strength: Wall Class
Durability: Wall level (Is the weakest monster in the underground physically, Less durable than several monsters Frisk is able to one shot from the start of the game, is weaker than Monster Kid, who was threatened by a really long fall)
Stamina: Average, as he was able to repeatedly dodge blows from Chara/Frisk, though after a while, he showed obvious signs of tiring, such as sweating, heavier breathing, and eventually beginning to fall asleep. Despite this, he was still able to dodge after seeming to tire out
Range: At least dozens of meters via bone attacks, significantly higher via Gaster Blasters and teleportation to an unknown extent
Intelligence: Extraordinary Genius. While Sans is lazy, he's shown to be a genius, both in a tactical and scientific sense, if his workshop is any indication. He was shown to somehow run reports analyzing alternate timelines, as well as built what was likely some sort of time machine.
Weaknesses: Incredibly lazy, won't fight unless necessary (only fought in the genocide route, where he believes you to be a threat to all other timelines). If Monsters are not determined to kill their foe, and is facing against a foe with a strong soul and has murderous intent, their defenses will weaken.
- Soul Manipulation: Blue Mode: Similar to his brother, Sans turns his opponent's soul blue, giving it "gravity" and allowing him to more easily hit his foes. However, Sans appears to have a far greater mastery of this ability than Papyrus, allowing him to effortlessly fling his foe around by manipulating their soul, or effectively 'changing gravity' and forcing them to move along the walls or ceiling.
- Bone Attacks: Sans will send a massive amount of bones at his opponent, forcing them to think on their feet to dodge all of them. He will mix up his style, forcing his foes to jump through small gaps between bones, over pits full of dozens of bones, or even to rush along the platforms so that they don't fall into a deadly trap composed of dozens upon dozens of bones. Sans will often throw in blue bones, which while they cannot be dodged, will only hurt his opponent if they attempt to move through them as opposed to allowing it to pass harmlessly through. While these attacks hardly seem to so any damage initially, the damage quickly racks up from remaining in contact with them, allowing this relatively weak opponent a way of bypassing the defenses of superior foes.
- KARMA: Whatever is struck by one of Sans' attacks will suffer from this condition, for a brief period. It essentially functions as poison damage for one's soul.
- Gasterblasters: Strange devices in the shape of skulls which fire powerful lasers from their maws. Like Sans' bones, Gasterblasters will often be used in numbers and will deal KR damage.
- Teleportation: While Sans is unable to reset the universe in the manner of someone such as Frisk or Flowey, he has shown to have a useful form of teleportation, allowing him to teleport not only himself but objects and other people, as well. During a battle, Sans will often teleport his opponent, himself, and his attacks, not only moving out of harm's way but moving his foe into the path of a new attack. He has also shown the ability to restrain an enemy by repeatedly warping them back to their initial position.