Summary of the Series
Saint Seiya/Knights Of The Zodiac is a manga by Masami Kurumada that ran from 1986 to 1991. It told the story of the Saints, a group of powerful warriors who are sworn to fight as the army of the Goddess Athena. Along the series, they face off in various Holy Wars against Deities who wish to claim Athena's earth as their own, always against increasingly stronger opponents. The series quickly became a hit, and Toei Animation soon followed with an Anime adaptation in the same year. Interestingly enough, instead of merely following the manga and adding filler episodes from time to time, the anime took great liberties with the source material, altering details of backstories, adding / changing characters, creating entire new story arcs, and usually tying all new "filler" material to the original manga plot.
When the original Manga / Anime came to an end, the series found itself in limbo, and from 1991 to 2001, no new material came of it. This changed when both Masami Kurumada and Toei Animation decided to revive the series, and since them Saint Seiya has been an ever-growing, ever expanded franchise.
In 2001, the Saint Seiya Taizen Encyclopedia came to be, bundled alongside the Hypermyth, and with the two many details of the series's mythology became explained (Note: There was already a Hypermyth in 1990, but it was not written by, nor very supervised by Kurumada, and many of it's details are removed in it's 2001 update, making it clear what is the canonical version). In the next year, the Saint Seiya Hades OVAs began to be published, alongside the Light Novel Saint Seiya Gigantomachia, telling a story that happened in between the Poseidon and Hades arcs, and the manga Saint Seiya Episode G, a prequel focused on the Gold Saints, which Kurumada supervised , approved and officially confirmed canon.
Since then, numerous anime and manga were released, such as Saint Seiya Next Dimension and Saint Seiya Lost Canvas in 2006, originally intended to be equally valid story-lines published simultaneously, yet since 2009 Next Dimension has been called the canonical continuation of Saint Seiya. Also released was the Heaven Chapter: Overture, intended as the first of a trilogy that would tell the Olympus Arc, but due to disapproval from Kurumada, the plan was abandoned. And last, but not least, the Saint Seiya Omega and Saint Seiya Soul of Gold anime, and the manga Saintia Sho.
For long all of these anime and manga were viewed as non-canonical spin offs, but all changed when in 2014, when the direct sequel to Episode G, Saint Seiya Episode G: Assassin started, and in it the existence of a Multiverse in the franchise was confirmed. This, alongside references to various "non-canonical" anime in the series, forced fans to look at the Saint Seiya Franchise from a new perspective.
Timeline of the Series
Original Manga Universe:
- Saint Seiya Episode G (7 Years before the start of Classic Series, Year of 1979)
- Saint Seiya Episode G: Assassin - Prologue (months after of the fight against Cronus)
- Classic Manga Sanctuary Arc (Year of 1986)
- Classic Manga Poseidon Arc (Year of 1987)
- Classic Manga Hades Arc (Year of 1990)
- Saint Seiya Next Dimension (days after the Hades Arc / Year of 1743 in the past)
- Saintia Sho (Events happening parallel to Classic Manga)
- Saint Seiya Episode G: Assassin (Modern times, decades after the main series)
Toei Animation Universe:
- Classic Anime Sanctuary Arc (Early fillers not included)
- Classic Anime Asgard Arc
- Classic Anime Poseidon Arc
- Saint Seiya Hades OVAs
- Saint Seiya Soul of Gold (In between Hades Inferno and Hades Elysium)
- Saint Seiya Omega (25 Years after the start of Classic Series, Year of 2011)
- Saint Seiya Lost Canvas (An alternate look at the Holy War against Hades of 1743)
- Saint Seiya Heaven Chapter: Overture
- Saint Seiya Gigantomachia (In between of Poseidon Arc and Hades Arc)
- Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary (A CGI Movie adaptation of the Sanctuary Arc, taking heavy liberties with the source material)
- Saint Seiya Online (An MMORPG of the series)
- Saint Seiya Golden Age (In between of Poseidón Arc and Hades Arc of the Original Manga, not translated)
Note: If you want to know more about the Verse's Lore, read the Hypermyth here.
Power of the Verse
Saint Seiya is widely considered to be one of the most powerful anime verses there are. Due to the mechanics of the series even the weakest characters, capable of controlling only Basic Cosmos, comfortably sit around Island Level in their Attack Potency and Durability. Far above them are numerous characters, over 100 when counting the whole Franchise, whose power range from Multi-Solar System level, to Galaxy level, and even Multi-Galaxy level.
Then there are the God Characters, whose powers can range from being as "insignificant" as Star level, though the majority of even the Minor Gods show immense superiority over any users of the 7th and 8th Senses, and through certain feats can be ranked at At least Multi-Galaxy level. Major, powerful deities, such as the Olympians and the Titans, possess a level of power far beyond all mortal comprehension, being beyond typical infinity and residing in a completely separate, higher dimension. Their levels are often around Universe+ to Low Multiverse level. Finally, Saint Seiya has the presence of a few God Tier characters whose power sits at the Multiversal+ level, with one sole character far above them at Low Complex Multiversal
The franchise also holds immense speeds, containing some of the fastest MFTL+ characters out there. For a collection of such speed feats, read this blog.
Finally, what truly makes Saint Seiya such an impressive verse, is also the special abilities and manipulations of the various characters, such as, but not limited to:
- Atomic, Sub-Atomic and Quantic Creation, Manipulation, Destruction and Restoration
- Reality Warping
- Sensory Removal
- Psychokinesis with universal range
- Cold Manipulation, reaching not only Absolute Zero, but temperatures hundreds of times colder (somehow)
- Probability Manipulation
- Spatial Manipulation
- Time Manipulation
- Soul Manipulation
- Mind Manipulation
- Gravity Manipulation
- Life and Death Manipulation
- Causality Manipulation and Acausality
For more information, see this page.
- Matthew Schroeder
- Ultima Reality
- Sage God Slayer
Saint Seiya Manga Only
Legendary Bronze Saints
18th Century Gold Saints
21th Century Saints (Lost World)
18th Century Bronze Saints
18th Century Silver Saints
18th Century Gold Saints
Eris's Dryads / Ghost Saints
Saint Seiya Anime Only
21th Century Bronze Saints
21th Century Gold Saints