The SCP Foundation is a creative fiction website detailing top-secret investigations, research, and containment policies of the paranormal. These paranormal examples are creatures, entities, superhumans, godlike beings, events, phenomenons, artifacts, and objects that threaten the normalcy/order of the world, and the worldwide Men-in-Black organization the SCP Foundation do everything in their nigh-omniscient and seemingly limitlessly funded power to contain these anomalies. Some of these anomalies, codenamed "SCPs", are incredibly dangerous humanoids and creatures that could end the world or worse if it were not for their 24/7 imprisonment.
For detailed information about this series, visit the SCP Foundation.
Power of the Verse
Extremely varied, due to the massively varied nature of SCPs. Some, such as SCP-914, are just inanimate objects without any kind of dangerous or useful abilities whatsoever, while others, such as SCP-682, are extremely powerful, dangerous and hard to kill. There exist very complex and abstract higher dimensional beings but most of them are not explicitly documented and the ones that are have not displayed any feats demonstrating such power. Only four entities have been stated to have this level of power and are capable of destroying the entirety of at least 196884-dimensional multiverse. There is also a supreme being of the verse which views these entities, as well as the multiverse itself, as a work of fiction and is continuing to rise even higher with nothing to stop it.
Canon and Powerscaling Rules
Before making pages for the SCP Foundation or changing existing ones, please carefully read through the Scaling and Canon Rules for the SCP Foundation.
Safe: Anomalies sufficiently understood to the point where they pose little threat, either due to reliable containment or if they don't create any anomalous effects unless activated.
Euclid: Anomalies that are insufficiently understood or are inherently unpredictable. While not dangerous enough to be classified as Keter, Euclid-class entities are still capable of performing dangerous acts and/or devastate the world if left unchecked.
Keter: Anomalies that pose a serious danger to both the Foundation and the rest of humanity, often inherently hostile and require extensive or complex containment procedures, or cannot be fully contained with the Foundation's current resources.
Thaumiel: Extremely rare anomalies that are used by the Foundation to contain or counteract the effects of other SCPs, primarily Keter-class ones, or deal with the aftermath of an uncontrolled containment breach, either by altering history or "resetting" reality so the disaster never occurred.
Archon: Anomalies that should not be contained due to the damage that would be caused by doing so.
Apollyon: The most dangerous of all SCPs. Those with this classification are completely impossible to contain and pose a definitive and inevitable threat to the world at large, and possibly beyond. Currently, only two SCPs profiled on this Wiki have this classification: SCP-001 (S.D. Locke's Proposal), and SCP-3999.
Akiva: The unit of measurement for divine grace/faith. Similar to how a lumen is a unit for measuring the total quantity of visible light emitted by a source. Much like how microwave radiation is present all throughout the universe is varying concentrations, Akiva Radiation is present in the same way. Certain anomalous objects are capable of emitting Akiva Radiation, some even being able to manipulate it. Of note, while manipulating Akiva Radiation may allow one to perform acts similar to reality warping, it is in fact a distinctly separate phenomenon, as Scranton Reality Anchors are unable to affect Akiva Radiation in any way. The thaumometer is an instrument that measures akivas.
Cognitohazard: A term used to refer to objects that are dangerous to sense or perceive, whether through sight, sound, smell, taste, or feeling. Cognitohazards typically cause mundane side effects that affect a subject's ability to function, such as paralysis or losing the ability to smell.
Humes: A Hume is a way to determine the strength and/or amount of reality in a given area. This is used to determine the strength of reality warpers and/or environments with reality warping properties. The nature of reality warping in SCP is divided into two data sets, the Hume level of the surrounding area, and the Hume level of a reality warper/anomaly. Should the Hume level of an object/person be more than the baseline reality around them, they are classified as a reality warper. Due to the nature of Humes, it is possible to neutralize a reality-altering anomaly through the equalization of Hume levels between the anomaly and baseline reality. This is usually done with a Scranton Reality Anchor, but can sometimes also be achieved by reality warpers themselves. A Kant counter is an instrument that measures Humes.
- Type Greens: A designation for reality warpers or individuals with reality warping properties.
Infohazard: A term used to refer to objects that are dangerous to know about. This hazard differs from cognitohazards in that cognitohazards transfer their effects through the senses whereas infohazards spread through the knowledge of any kind of information. Infohazards on their own typically do not cause harmful effects, however it is the knowledge of said information that would likely trigger an external anomalous phenomenon.
Memetics: A sub-class of Cognitohazards. Memetics in regards to SCP objects tends to focus on the impossible rather than the mundane, regarding effects that are transmitted via information. In general, the effects themselves should remain in the realm of information. A memetic SCP would be more likely to be a phrase that makes you think you have wings as opposed to a phrase that makes you actually grow a pair of wings. Memetic SCPs do not emanate auras or project beams. They are SCPs which involve ideas and symbols which trigger a response in those who understand them.
- Amnestics: Memory affecting agents that are applied with the intent of memory alteration or removal. Most Amestics come in the form of drugs. However, there are some Amnestics that come from anomalous sources, and are capable of altering memory in a more crude fashion.
- Antimemes: An antimeme is an idea with self-censoring properties; an idea which, by its intrinsic nature, discourages or prevents people from spreading it.
Pataphysics: The study of reality-fiction interaction within the SCP mythos. As the SCP Foundation is a work of fiction to the Swann Entities, a field of study was created to better understand the relationship between the "fictional world" and the "real world"
- Narratives: Stories or fictions that house entire realities. All fiction within the SCP mythos exists as Narratives and as such, they contain real worlds within them. Narratives can exist alongside other Narratives and they can even exist within higher Narratives. Each higher Narrative views a lower Narrative as fiction, and in most cases, entities of a higher Narrative are capable of affecting the plot of lower Narratives. Some Narratives can take the form of verbal stories, wherein the events in said stories play out in real life. Narratives span endlessly above and below, with no discernable "top" or "bottom" Narrative.
- Swann Entities: There are many variations of this term, but they all denote the same thing. A Swann Entity is one of the many beings that exist on the higher Narrative relative to the main SCP canon/Narrative. Swann Entities are directly responsible for the existence of the SCP Foundation and have a hand in manipulating the plot of their Narrative.
Tartaerean: Denotes something demonic in nature, or originating from Hell.
Empyrean: Denotes something divine in nature, or originating from a Divine space. This can include both gods and angels.
Thaumatology: In layman's terms, magic. It is the study of magical principles as a practical science. Unlike reality warping, Thaumatology isn't limited to those gifted with anomalous abilities, any competent individual is theoretically capable of being a practitioner in the art of Thaumatology. Thaumatology has three basic principles: "Like Produces Like", "The Part Affects the Whole", and "Observation Changes Reality". Due to the latter principle, those of greater sentience are more attuned to practicing Thaumatology than those of lesser sentience (i.e. animals and plants). Similar to Akiva, Thaumatology is separate from the principles of reality warping, and is in a category all on its own.
- Elan-Vital Energy (EVE): EVE is the fundamental energy that powers Thaumatology. EVE is emitted by living things and it is also often emitted by paranormal objects. EVE emission is not a perfect indication of whether or not a person or object has paranormal properties, but often, that is the case. Higher and more intense levels of EVE are generated by beings with higher levels of sapience: their Observer Effect is stronger, thus their EVE levels are stronger as well.
- Aspect Radiation: Aspect Radiation is simply EVE in concentrations high enough to cause reality warping effects. Think of it as gamma radiation: Gamma rays are simply the upper end of the electromagnetic spectrum, the same spectrum that contains X-Rays, visible light, heat, and radio waves.
- Type Blues: A designation for magicians or practitioners of Thaumatology.
- Serpent of the Internet 97
- Arrogant Schmuck
- Dargoo Faust
- Starter Pack
|Discussion threads involving SCP Foundation|