|“||Is this... my true nature? The power is building within. It wants me to destroy everything!||„|
|~ Ryu unleashing the Satsui No Hado in Street Fighter Alpha 3|
The lead character of the Street Fighter franchise and a fighting game character, Ryu is a stoic Japanese martial artist who wanders the globe seeking the meaning of being a "true warrior". He can be recognized by his sleeveless white karate gi and a red or white hachimaki/headband depending on the game. He trained alongside his friendly rival Ken under their mutual master Gouken and was the victor of the first Street Fighter tournament. His encounter with his master's nemesis Akuma during the Street Fighter Alpha sub-series awoke the untapped Satsui no Hadou or "murderous intent" within him although this power was eventually overwhelmed in Street Fighter V, when he mastered the Power of Nothingness, a source of higher power arising from a state of consciousness in which the mind is free from thoughts and emotions. In Street Fighter III, he continues to travel the world in search of strong opponents.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 9-A, likely higher. High 7-A with the Satsui no Hado | At least 9-A, likely higher. At least 8-B via Awakened Power. High 7-A with the Satsui no Hado | High 7-A, higher with the Power of Nothingness
Origin: Street Fighter
Age: In his late 20s in Street Fighter I, in his 30s from Street Fighter II onwards
Classification: Human, Martial Artist
Powers and Abilities:
Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Master of Shotokan Karate and Ansatsuken, Acrobatics, Chi Manipulation and Projection, Fire Manipulation (Via Shakunetsu Hadoken), Air Manipulation and Restricted Flight (Via Shinku Tatsumaki Senpukyaku), Status Effect Inducement (By hitting the opponent repeteadly, without them being able to recover, he can cause them to enter the "Stun" status, which leaves them unable to react), Rage Power (Rage allows him to unleash the Satsui no Hado, greatly increasing his power but losing control), Resistance to Mind Manipulation (His mind was stated to be strong enough to resist  being brainwashed) and limited Resistance to Corruption (Can resist the Satsui no Hado trying to take him over, even controlling  it once , but often needs help to recover his sanity)
Same as before to a greater extent, Damage Boost (Can perform enhanced versions of his Special Attacks), further Status Effect Inducement (His Focus Attack causes the opponent to enter a "crumpling" status), minor Power Nullification (Via Hanagashi), Enhanced Senses (Sensed  C. Viper ambushing him behind a door), likely Extrasensory Perception (Should be able to sense chi, just like other expert chi users), Heat Manipulation (Used his chi to burn Seth's wrist  and incinerate one of the latter's clones ), further Air Manipulation (Can generate tornadoes  with his Shoryuken), Awakened Power (During his fight against Seth, he could briefly tap into the Power of Nothingness  out of sheer determination), possibly Resistance to Sealing (Despite Gouken having sealed off his Satsui no Hado , it manifested again some time after)
Same as before to an even greater extent with the exception of Rage Power, Electricity Manipulation and Statistics Amplification (Via Denjin Renki), further minor Power Nullification (Via Mind's Eye and Thrust Strike), possibly Multiple Selves (Type 1; His Satsui no Hado gained consciousness and turned into Kage, but he may have disappeared  after fighting Ryu); The Power of Nothingness grants him limited Intangibility (His attacks phase through those  Ryu doesn't want  to hurt), possibly limited Deconstruction (Caused M. Bison to crack apart and dissolve  into energy particles), Resistance to Corruption (Subdued  the Satsui no Hado once and for all. Kage couldn't convince him to embrace it again) and Soul Manipulation (Necalli couldn't devour  Ryu's soul like he did to others)
Attack Potency: At least Small Building level, likely higher (Has fought almost evenly with Sagat ). Large Mountain level with the Satsui no Hado (Defeated  Alpha 3 M. Bison in a single hit . The latter used Ryu's Satsui no Hado  to destroy Bangkok in an alternate ending) | At least Small Building level, likely higher (Became significantly stronger than before. Casually extinguished a burst of flames ). alongside Sakura. Incinerated  one of Seth's weaker clones and doing that to a normal human requires this amount of heat). At least City Block level via Awakened Power (Briefly tapping into the Power of Nothingness was enough to overwhelm and incapacitate  Seth). Large Mountain level with the Satsui no Hado | Large Mountain level, higher with the Power of Nothingness (Improved even more, to the point that Alex couldn't counter even one of his blows , while he managed to defeat a replica of Alpha Ryu . Was able to fight  against Torrent of Power Necalli, before finishing him  in a single blow after unleashing the Power of Nothingness, which also allowed him to defeat  a weakened SFV M. Bison)
Speed: At least Supersonic, likely higher (Superior to Guile, Chun-Li and Base Juri; the latter was able to kick a rocket from close distance ). Massively Hypersonic+ with the Satsui no Hado (Swifter than Alpha 3 M. Bison) | At least Supersonic, likely higher (Much faster than before), even higher via Awakened Power. Massively Hypersonic+ with the Satsui no Hado | Massively Hypersonic+, higher with the Power of Nothingness (Kept up with Torrent of Power Necalli and a weakened SFV M. Bison)
Lifting Strength: Class 5 (Comparable, if not superior, to Zangief), at least Class 100 with the Satsui no Hado (Comparable to his future SFV self) | Class 5 (Much stronger than before), Class 25, possibly Class 50 via Awakened Power (Much stronger than Hugo, who could lift part of a semi-trailer truck, possibly even the entirety of it), Class 100 with the Satsui no Hado | Class 100, higher with the Power of Nothingness (Capable of lifting small house-sized boulders )
Striking Strength: At least Small Building Class, likely higher (Able to deal damage to the likes of Ken and Sagat). Large Mountain Class with the Satsui no Hado (A single punch was enough to obliterate Alpha 3 M. Bison. The same energy used to destroy Bangkok can be applied to his physical blows, due to both being powered by his ki) | At least Small Building Class, likely higher (Stronger than before). At least City Block Class via Awakened Power (The same energy used to fire the Hadoken that defeated Seth can be transfered to Ryu's physical attacks). Large Mountain Class with the Satsui no Hado | Large Mountain Class, higher with the Power of Nothingness (Comparable to the Satsui No Hado. Has fought Torrent of Power Necalli, before finishing him with only a single punch)
Durability: At least Small Building level, likely higher (Withstood Sagat's blows). Large Mountain level with the Satsui no Hado (The "Surge of Murderous Intent" grants him a durability comparable to his attack potency) | At least Small Building level, likely higher (Much more durable than before). At least City Block level via Awakened Power (Ryu can use same power that defeated Seth to enhance his physical durability). Large Mountain level with the Satsui no Hado | Large Mountain Class, higher with the Power of Nothingness (Took hits from Torrent of Power Necalli. The enhancements granted by the Power of Nothingness are comparable to those given by the Satsui no Hado. Took blows from a weakened SFV M. Bison and endured his Psycho Inferno )
Stamina: High (Can go through intense battles and long periods of training), higher with the Satsui no Hado and the Power of Nothingness (They naturally enhance his stamina. While on the brink of defeat, the Satsui no Hado returned him enough energy to fight back Sagat and M. Bison)
Range: Standard melee range, Tens of meters with projectiles.
Standard Equipment: His fighting gloves and his long red headband.
Intelligence: Gifted (Ryu is an especially skilled martial artist, being singled out by Akuma as a worthy foe and by M. Bison as a strong vessel to seize as his own. Has completely mastered Shotokan Karate and Ansatsuken, an assassination art that allows one to wield ki. His style of fighting designates him as an "All-Rounder", a jack-of-all-trades who is not lacking in any one area, with his specialty being a very strong defense and an optimal usege of projectiles. As a result, Ryu is a flexible fighter, with an unbreakable spirit and a mind that is completely calm in battle . This attitude allows him to stay focused during a fight, read ) his adversaries, learn  from them, take advantage of their mistakes and analyze their style. A good fight can rile him as he enjoys facing a worthy opponent. His complete dedication to the battle brought him to travel all around the world, on a path of constant improvement and to experience all kind of opponents and fighting styles)
Weaknesses: Ryu can lose his calm sometimes, especially when unleashing the Satsui no Hado, which turns him into a berserker blinded by rage. He believes in showing true mercy to his opponents, and does not believe in killing his opponent. He is also afraid of spiders (he once woke up with one in his mouth).
Key: SF I-Alpha 3 | SF II-IV | SF V-III
- Collarbone Breaker: Ryu draws his fist back over his shoulder and thrusts it forward and down, hitting the opponent's collarbone.
- Solar Plexus Strike: Ryu slides forward and hits the opponent in the stomach with a body blow punch that hits twice.
- Axe Kick: Ryu delivers an upward kick, then brings his foot down, hitting the opponent a second time with the heel.
- Jodan Nirengaki: Ryu punches his opponent and follows up with a kick, causing them to spin in midair.
- Jodan Sanengeki: Ryu punches his opponent twice and follows up with a kick that opponent launches them.
- Focus Attack/Kaze no Kobushi ("Fist of the Wind"): A heavy move that grants Ryu an augmented defense during the execution and, if it lands, causes the opponent to crumple.
- Shoulder Throw: Ryu grabs his opponent and pulls them over his shoulder, causing them to land on their back. Ryu can also perform this move in the air.
- Somersault Throw: Ryu grabs his opponent, and falls in backwards roll, planting a foot on the opponent and applying pressure, causing them to flip back and crash on ground.
- Hadouken ("Surge Fist" or "Wave Motion Fist"): A Chi-based wave of energy that travels towards the opponent. The EX version of this projectile is bigger and stronger. It can also be projected as a beam.
- Shakunetsu Hadoken ("Scorching Heat Surge Fist"): A Hadoken which is imbued with the power of fire.
- Shoryuken ("Rising Dragon Fist"): A strong jumping uppercut. The EX version consists in a first punch in the midsection, followed by a stronger jumping uppercut.
- Tatsumaki Senpukyaku ("Tornado Whirlwind Leg"): Ryu jumps and performs a powerful spinning kick. The EX version consists in Ryu spinning faster on itself without moving, hitting the opponent multiple times. This move can also be performed while in the air, to strike the opponent while descending.
- Joudan Sokutogeri ("High-Level Foot Edge Kick"): A powerful forward-stepping side kick that sends the enemy flying. The EX version is more powerful, and can cause the enemy to bounce on a wall, giving Ryu the chance to hit them again.
- Hanagashi ("Leaf Flowing"): Ryu assumes a guarding pose that cancels out an opponent's attack.
- Tesshin ("Piercing Heart"): A strong punch that Ryu can deliver immediately the Hanagashi if it doesn't block any attack.
- Isshin ("One Mind") If Ryu successfully blocks an incoming attack, he can reply with a powerful punch, knocking down the opponent.
- Metsu Hadoken ("Destroying Surge Fist"): Using the energy of the Satsui no Hado, Ryu charges an extra-powerful Hadoken.
- Metsu Shoryuken ("Destroying Rising Dragon Fist"): An especially strong and violent variant of the Shoryuken. Ryu first delivers a gut punch, causing the opponent to stagger in pain, then follows up with a jumping uppercut, striking their jaw before sending them flying.
- Shinku Hadouken ("Vacuum/True Void Surge Fist"): A super-charged Hadoken that, when executed, can hit the opponent multiple times and destroy other projectiles launched by the opponent.
- Denjin Hadouken ("Electric Blade Surge Fist"): This technique can only be used when Ryu activates his Denjin Renki, infusing Shinku Hadoken is imbued with the power of electricity. It has more destructive power and if blocked will break through the opponent's defense, leaving them temporarily open to attacks.
- Shin Shoryuken ("True Rising Dragon Fist"): A perfect and notably strong version of the Shoryuken. This move starts by hitting the enemy in the midsection of the upper body then it follows a strong uppercut to the chin and in end, the move finishes with a very strong Shoryuken.
- Hashogeki ("Wave Palm Attack"): After blocking an attack, Ryu unleashes a Hadoken-like palm attack, where the fireball doesn't leave the hands.
- Fumikomi Jodan Kagizuki ("Step-in High-Level Hook Thrust"): Ryu quickly dashes backwards to dodge an incoming attack and replies with a powerful hook that strikes the opponent before they are able to react, knocking them down.
- Mind's Eye: Ryu assumes a defensive stance and if timed correctly with the enemy's attack, the attack will be blocked and recover faster than his adversary. This allows for a window for counterattacking.
- Thrust Strike: Ryu steps forward and assumes a guarded stance to deflect an attack, and then he delivers a heavy punch. If Ryu blocks an attack during the guarded stance, the heavy punch will be followed by an elbow strike.
- Denjin Renki ("Electric Blade Refined Spirit"): When activated, it "electrifies" Ryu's hands and special moves. The Hadoken gains damage and stun, and also becomes charge-able; when fully charged, it will gain guard crushing properties, and leave a blocking opponent defenseless for several seconds. The Shoryuken gains increased damage and stun.
- Kakko Fubatsu ("Resolute & Steadfast"): Ryu covers his fists with energy and gains access to an amplified version of the Isshin. Upon blocking an attack, Ryu will perform the Isshin, which will make the opponent crumple, allowing Ryu to follow-up with an attack.
- Street Fighter Alpha 2 - M. Bison's Arcade Ending
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Ryu's Arcade Ending
- Street Fighter V Arcade Mode - Street Fighter Alpha Path - Ryu's Ending
- Street Fighter IV: The Ties That Bind
- Street Fighter IV - Ryu's Arcade Ending
- Street Fighter IV - Sakura's Arcade Ending
- Street Fighter IV - Akuma's Arcade Ending
- Street Fighter V - Kage's Character Story
- Street Fighter V - A Shadows Falls
- Street Fighter (Game)
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 - M. Bison's Arcade Ending
- Street Fighter IV - Dan's Arcade Ending
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Alex's Arcade Ending
- Street Fighter V - Alex's Character Story
- Super Street Fighter IV Original Video Animation
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Oro's Arcade Ending
- Ultra Street Fighter IV - Ryu's Versus Mode Quotes (vs. Sakura)
- Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact - Ryu's Versus Mode Quotes (vs. Necro)
|Discussion threads involving Ryu (Street Fighter)|