|“||Just like.. We promised on that day... The way I lived my life... I have no regrets about it. I'm not lying. What I truly wanted... Wasn't fame or anything like that after all. Was it good... That I was born? What I wanted... Was the answer to that question. I... Can't speak loud enough for the others to hear it. Please... Pass on... What I'm about to say. Old Man... Everyone... And you, Luffy... Even though... I'm so worthless... Even though... I carry the blood of a demon… Thank you... For loving me!||„|
|~ Ace's last words to Luffy|
Portgas D. Ace, also known as "Fire Fist" Ace, was the son of the late Gol D. Roger who was secretly adopted by Monkey D. Garp and given the surname of his dying mother Portgas D. Rogue. Placed under the care of Curly Dadan, Ace eventually met his guardian's grandson Monkey D. Luffy and the two became sworn brothers along with Sabo. Ace later left Luffy at the age of 17 to take to piracy, acquiring the power of the Flame-Flame Fruit (Mera Mera no Mi), a Logia that allows him to create, control and transform into fire, and captaincy of the Spade Pirates along with a massive bounty of 550,000,000 berries. Ace later makes an attempt on the life of the pirate Whitebeard and ends up joining the older pirate's crew.
As the series started, Ace was traveling the Grand Line after a former crew member named Marshall D. Teach for murdering a shipmate. After crossing paths with Luffy and his Straw Hat crew, Ace eventually finds Teach and loses against him. Teach then collects the bounty on Ace and he ends up being kept in Level 6 of Impel Down before he was taken to Marineford to be executed. Despite Luffy's rescue attempt, Ace ends up mortally wounded by Admiral Akainu to protect his younger brother.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 7-A, possibly High 7-A
Name: Portgas D. Ace, originally Gol D. Ace, epithet “Fire Fist Ace”
Origin: One Piece
Age: 20 at the time of his death
Classification: Human, Former 2nd Division Commander of the Whitebeard Pirates, Former Captain of the Spade Pirates, Logia Devil Fruit User
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Weapon Mastery (Ace was shown using various weapons, including an axe and a knife. As a child, he used a long bo staff made from pipe to defeat some bandits), Proficient Hand-to-Hand Combatant, Haki (Rudimentary Busōshoku Haki and Haōshoku Haki user), Fire Manipulation and Intangibility (Ate the Mera Mera no Mi, a Logia-type Devil Fruit that allows him to become the element of fire and control the flames from his body in various ways), Inorganic Physiology (Type 1. While he's turned into fire), Regeneration (Mid-High, only in his Logia form), Body Control (He should be capable of altering the size and shape of his Logia form to some degree – similarly to Aokiji), Heat Manipulation (Able to change the heat of his fire, so that this can make green, white fire and possibly other colors), Limited Weather Manipulation (Could clear away bad weather like blizzards and make it sunny), Heat Aura (Ace's Haki had been described by Shanks and Benn Beckman to be fiery in nature, to the point that Ace’s very presence was able to stop a blizzard on an island for as long as he was there. As such, when he turned up on Drum Island, no snow fell at all on the island for an entire day), Limited Light Manipulation, Homing Attack and Minor Danmaku (Via Hotarubi), Limited Flight via propulsion, Fire Absorption, High Resistance to Extreme Heat and Fire Manipulation (All Logias are resistant to their respective elements. Resisted the water boiling bath in Impel Down when he had no powers)
Attack Potency: At least Mountain level+, possibly Large Mountain level (Circumvented an attack from Aokiji with his own. Clashed with Akainu, though came up short and was thrown back. Should be comparable to his peers, Marco and Jozu)
Lifting Strength: Class G via powerscaling
Striking Strength: At least Mountain Class+, Possibly Large Mountain Class (Cancelled out an attack from Aokiji with his own. Van Augur stated his basic combat prowess were as excellent as one would expect of a Commander of the Whitebeard Pirates)
Durability: At least Mountain level+, possibly Large Mountain level (withstood a strike from Akainu. Took many blows from Blackbeard, who in turn was capable of clashing against Ace’s own attacks). Logia Intangibility and regeneration also make him very hard to kill unless circumvented
Stamina: Extremely high, was able to fight against a former member of the Shichibukai (Blackbeard) which should be representative of his all round battle stats, also was able to battle against Jinbe in a five day long fight
Standard Equipment: A knife
Intelligence: Although more intelligent than Luffy, he is not overly smart outside of battle. Expert in hand-to-hand combat (he was able to defeat Luffy in every fight they had before he got his Devil Fruit and after Luffy ate his), his position as leader of Whitebeard's second division fleet shows he has leadership abilities, he is an effective tracker (Shown by hunting down Blackbeard), he is skilled in the use of his Devil Fruit abilities
Weaknesses: Standard Devil Fruit users weaknesses. Often falls asleep while eating, apparently magma can directly harm him as it smothers out his fire (As shown when Akainu nailed him with a magma-enhanced punch)
Mera Mera no Mi (or Flame Flame Fruit): A Logia type Devil Fruit, this fruit allows the user to transform into fire at will as well as control it. The fruit's major strength like other Logia types allows the user to produce as well become the element they control. In this case, Ace is able to create, control, and become fire. With this in mind, Ace is able to create fire-based attacks. The elemental state the ability endows him with also allows him to avoid conventional attacks as they only disperse him. Turning into fire also has the added effect of burning an opponent depending should the attack be close range and such. Though the user is fire in the elemental state, they are weak against magma, which can consume flames, and can be burned by it despite their dispersion, making it their natural enemy.
- Hiken (Fire Fist): Ace's apparent signature attack. Ace turns his fist into flames and launches it as a column of fire at his target.
- Higan (Fire Gun): Pointing the index and middle fingers of both hands at an opponent like guns, Ace turns his fingertips into flames and shoots bullets made of fire at them.
- Shinka: Shiranui (Sacred Flame: Sea Fire): Ace launches two long lances made of fire at his opponent's chest. The lances have the combined effect of simultaneously burning an opponent while piercing their chest.
- Jūjika (Cross-fire): Ace puts his index fingers together in a cross shape before launching a cross-shaped column of flame directly at his opponent.
- Hotarubi (Firefly Light): Ace creates many small, glowing greenish yellow fireballs that float around an enemy. The idea behind this attack's name is that before he attacks with them, the small fireballs look like fireflies in the air.
- Hidaruma (Fiery Doll): After using Hotarubi to send the fireballs floating around in proximity with the enemy, Ace sends them all flying into the target(s) all at once, burning them.
- Kagerō (Heat Haze): Ace shoots a stream of fire from the palm of his hand.
- Enjōmō (Flaming Net): Ace creates a circle of fire around a selected area, preventing anyone from entering or leaving it.
- Kyokaen (Mirror Flame): Ace releases a large amount of flames and forms it in a firewall to defend against attacks.
- Enkai (Flame Commandment): Ace conjures a large amount of flames around his body in preparation for an attack.
- Hibashira (Fire Pillar): Ace shoots the collected flames straight upward like a large fire pillar, destroying a target above him. It can also be fired downwards to clear any enemies that might be below him while he's in mid-air.
- Daienkai: Entei (Great Flame Commandment: Flame Emperor): Ace's ultimate technique. Ace creates a gigantic fireball resembling the sun and hurls it at his opponent to try to obliterate them. It created a huge explosion strong enough to cover half of a rather large island.
There are normally two types of Haki regular people can tap into: the Kenbunshoku Haki which allows individuals to sense the presence of others, and Busōshoku Haki which allows individuals to create an invisible armor around them. There is however, a third type of Haki, Haōshoku Haki, that only a few individuals can use. Ace is one of these people.
- Busōshoku Haki (Color of Armaments): Ace is confirmed as an user of this type of Haki during the events of the novel that tells his story before becoming a member of the Whitebeard Pirates. In said novel, Ace fights the Vice Admiral Draw and unlocks his Armament Haki in the middle of the fight. Despite being competent enough to clash with said marine, Ace's usage is unconscious and he didn't know what he was doing. There's no evidence of him controlling said power later in the story, so his potential was never fully explored.
- Haōshoku Haki (Color of the Conquering King): Ace awakened this Haki very early in his life. When he was 10 years old, he unconsciously activated it to defeat some members of the Bluejam Pirates. His full potential, however, was never explored.