Petrification is the ability to turn someone or something into stone. The most famous and perhaps prototypical example of this power is in the myth of Perseus and Medusa, the latter of which would cause men to turn into stone simply by the unfortunate victims casting a glance at her. The power does not always work in this precise fashion, but the result is always the same.
Petrification is considered to be a sub-category of transmutation, it forcibly turns the target into a statue of stone or other inorganic material. Generally petrification can be considered to be a very broken ability, as it ignores conventional durability. Being able to withstand a nuke won't exactly save your body from being turned into stone, after all.
Albeit depending on how fast the process is, it might not be an instant win button. Petrification is also a fairly popular fictional ability which means a number of characters have resistance to these. Resistance to transmutation/matter manipulation or at times via resistance to magic (if the ability is magical) can also negate petrification.
It's still quite potent in matches, regardless.
- Boa Hancock from One Piece
- Ciel, Rider and others from the Nasuverse
- Dabura from Dragon Ball
- Fate Averruncus, Graf Herrman and others from Negima
- Ishidate from the third Naruto movie
- King from Nanatsu no Taizai
- Kratos (with the Medusa head) and others from God of War
- Perseus Algol and Perseus Mirfak (with the Medusa Shield) from Saint Seiya and Saint Seiya Omega
- Terra Branford and others from Final Fantasy