|“||Come back when you can put up a fight.||„|
|~ Meta Knight's victory quote in Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
Meta Knight is an enigmatic fighter with a mask who appears as a consistent rival to Kirby throughout the series. His origins are shrouded in mystery as are his motives, appearing as an impediment in Kirby's progress in some games but serving as a steadfast ally in others. What has remained constant is his deadly skill with a blade along with a tendency to flee when his mask is broken, revealing a face, not unlike Kirby's.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 4-A | At least 4-A
Name: Meta Knight
Origin: Kirby's Adventure
Age: Thousands of years (From the Anime)
Powers and Abilities:
Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Master Swordsman, Flight & Spaceflight, Natural Weaponry (Always hits foes & cuts things reached by his wings when flying. His non-canon portrayal in Super Smash Bros. can actively use his wings to hit others), Vehicular Mastery, Self-Sustenance (Type 1), Longevity, Immortality (Type 3), Toon Force, Regeneration (Mid. Like all Star Allies, he can quickly recover from being crushed flat, as well as having no notable damage after fighting Flamberge, who can impale and trap many foes at once like a shish-kebab using a sword covered in fire, before tossing them as projectiles surrounded by fire. Recovered off-screen from being turned into a cyborg and defeated in battle in a brief period of time), Enhanced Senses (Able to travel in dark territories), Can turn into a small ball of intangible energy, Can harm intangible beings and souls, Teleportation, Healing (Can fully heal himself and an ally via Heal), Fire Manipulation, Electricity Manipulation, Air Manipulation, Darkness Manipulation, Energy Blasts, Statistics Amplification (Speed Augmentation via Meta Quick & Heal), Summoning (Via Knight Call & Meta Knightmares. His sword, Galaxia, can fight on its own, summoning meteors to attack), Duplication, Attack Reflection (Deflected 3 energy balls from Magolor. By hitting attacks, he can make them travel back into his foes, homing into them in the process), Homing Attack, Explosion Manipulation via Meta Knightmares, violin dexterity (Shown in official art)
Resistance to Spatial Manipulation (Able to survive spatial attacks from Magolor and Galacta Knight), Reality Warping, Magic, Transmutation (While he has been transmuted several times, he always kept his consciousness and at least basic functions such as when he could still use his sword while turned into a limbless ball), Existence Erasure (Can get hit by Drawcia's deletion wave and survive), Gravity and Radiation Manipulation (Able to outrun and withstand black holes from Sphere Doomers, Magolor in his last forms and Marx [The latter shown Post-Star Allies]), heat (Can travel to Hotbeat, a planet resembling a star, and be unaffected by its temperatures)
As before, Empathic Manipulation & Morality Manipulation via Friend Hearts (Can turn enemies into allies. Able to overwrite Void Termina's effects on allies; Scales to his multi-galactic potency), Healing (Friend Hearts can be used to heal and purify others. Can "Revive" defeated allies, who are merely unconscious), Purification, Power Bestowal (Turning targets into allies via Friend Hearts gives them that same power. Can bestow individual elemental powers when using them himself), Cloth Manipulation, Magic, Resurrection (Able to revive others via Revival Spell), Able to combine powers with allies to enhance elemental attacks (Also gaining access to Ice Manipulation and Water Manipulation), Creation (Able to help other Star Allies create Friend Stars and the Star Allies Sparkler)
Resistance to Transmutation (Like all Star Allies, he isn't transmuted after being cooked inside the pot of Chef Kawasaki or Cook Kirby's, process that regularly turns foes and items into food), Empathic Manipulation & Morality Manipulation (Became unaffected by the presence of the individual Dark Hearts after having similar powers bestowed to him)
As before, Fire Manipulation (With Superspicy Curry Boost Orb), Healing (With various food items, Maxim Tomato & Maxim Tomato Boost Orb), Statistics Amplification (With Invincible Candy, Boost Orbs and Power-Up Hearts, which increase strength, health or speed of all allies at once), Invulnerability (With Invincible Candy & Metal Boost Orb), Explosion Manipulation (With Balloon Bomb & Cracker), Forcefield Creation (With Prism Shield), Invisibility (With Invisibility Stone & Invisibility Boost Orb), Intangibility (With Invisibility Stone), Universal & Dimensional Travel (Via Warp Star), Enhanced Thievery (With Cashgrabber Boost Orb; Increases the number of things he can steal from enemies), Limited Automatic Mobility (With Deflector Boost Orb), Berserk Mode (With Berserk Boost Orb)
Attack Potency: Multi-Solar System level (Fought evenly and lost against Pre-Star Allies Kirby multiple times; Surpassed and defeated many Kirby clones during Dedede's Cake Royale tournament, which consisted mostly of physical confrontations, Meta Knight saw them as pathetic despite other descriptions placing them as equal or superior to Kirby. Able to beat Drawcia with the player's assistance, who turned massive portions of space into paint. Able to beat Galacta Knight, the "strongest warrior in the galaxy" who could one-shot Star Dream and Parallel Nightmare. Along with Kirby, King Dedede and Bandana Dee, defeated Magolor with the Master Crown, which led to the collapse of interstellar parts of Another Dimension, including the 15 areas where the Sphere Doomers were fought, which are all respectively interstellar in size. Boost Orbs & Power-Up Hearts effectively increase Meta Knight's destructive power even further), able to negate durability with his Tornado Attack, Tornado Slash, Mach Tornado, and Galaxia Darkness techniques | At least Multi-Solar System level (Can assist Kirby & 2 fellow Star Allies in the defeat of Void Termina, Corrupt Hyness, the retaliators Three Mage-Sisters [at once], Morpho Knight EX and the stronger incarnations of Void Termina), able to negate durability with his Tornado Attack, Tornado Slash, Mach Tornado, and Galaxia Darkness techniques, as well as with Friend Hearts
Speed: Massively FTL+ (His flight and reactions kept up with the Warp Star [196172280675748830c] and other comparable vehicles during Air Ride, could fly and maneuver at speeds seemingly equal to that of the Warp Star in Super Star Ultra and kept up with it in Return to Dreamland's opening; Able to quickly react & dodge to obstacles while flying and keep up with those who can react, dodge, clash and keep up with him while flying. Kept up with Kirby numerous times, usually being portrayed as faster than him. Able to keep up with Void Termina, who kept up with the Star Allies Sparkler, an improved version of the Warp Star. Able to fly from a planetoid near NOVA's summon point, which is in the galaxy's end, back to Popstar, which is at the edge of the universe, in seconds. Shown flying at faster than light speeds several times. Repeatedly outran waves that were consuming interstellar parts of Another Dimension, which were moving fast enough to get past stars and nebulae in the background, as well as keeping up with the Lor Starcutter and Landia, the latter of which he kept up with in combat. Along with the other Star Allies, he can chase and keep up with the dark Jamba Heart pieces several times, which were suddenly scattered across the universe. Able to move even faster via Meta Quick, Heal or with Invincible Candy, Boost Orbs & Power-Up Hearts for a limited amount of time)
Striking Strength: Multi-Solar System Class (Traded blows with Kirby) | At least Multi-Solar System Class
Durability: Multi-Solar System level (Can tank blows from Kirby and survives fights against him with only a broken mask to show for it. Can endure attacks from the likes of Drawcia, Galacta Knight and Master Crown Magolor) | At least Multi-Solar System level
Stamina: Very high. Consistently fights foes as powerful as Kirby for prolonged periods. Able to defeat President Haltmann, Sectonia Clone, Dark Matter Clone, and Galacta Knight in a gauntlet style fight
Range: Standard melee range with his sword, Interstellar with projectiles and shockwaves
Standard Equipment: His sword Galaxia, his Dimensional Cape, which allows him to teleport and cover the area with darkness.
- Optional Equipment: Balloon Bomb, Cracker, Prism Shield, Invisibility Stone, Warp Star, Maxim Tomato, Boost Orbs, the Blaze Wheelie, and a miniature Heavy Lobster (Kirby Battle Royale), Occasionally his warship the Halberd | As before, the Dream Rod, Friend Star, Star Allies Sparkler and Power-Up Hearts.
- Can Create/Summon: Knights | As before, a Friend Star
Intelligence: Genius. Built the Halberd, a futuristic ship with enough power to harm Kirby and a speed possibly superior to him. Meta Knight is a capable leader, having the utmost respect and loyalty of his army of Meta-Knights, with whom he tried conquering Dream Land once to put an end to their lazy lifestyle, presumably only failing due to Kirby's intervention (as Meta Knight alone is repeatedly shown as superior to everyone there besides the Pink Puffball). He is a swordsman of the highest caliber, deftly swinging Galaxia in a flurry of slashes, giving no quarter to even the strongest of foes and using high-speed moves. He's able to assist in the defeat of opponents as experienced as Hyness and Void Termina, as well as defeat other experienced foes such as a clone of Queen Sectonia and Galacta Knight. In combat, he can incorporate some throws into his arsenal, picking up enemies and tossing them into the ground, he can also be seen sending his opponents' attacks and projectiles back at them.
Weaknesses: Meta Knight prefers chivalrous combat, often refusing to fight his foe if they have no means of fighting back, such as a sword. He flees when his mask breaks for unknown reasons. He sometimes seems to need to defeat or at least clobber his foes for a time before using his unique abilities. Many of his powers require him to use his sword.
Keys: Pre-Star Allies | Post-Star Allies
Note that there is no distinction between his keys in this section.
Galaxia is Meta Knight's sword, being notably more powerful than other blades in the verse and giving access to the owner several powers, including many different tornado attacks, elemental manipulation, and various other diverse abilities. Galaxia also seems to be sentient, being able to fight on its own. Other characters like Kirby and Magolor Soul have imitated Galaxia when generating their swords, presumably to assimilate its might.
- Knight Beam: When at full health, Meta Knight is capable of slashing a sword beam, which can damage nearby enemies. The beam can be slashed almost as wide as the battlefield.
- Moon Shot (ムーンショット): When Meat Knight holds up his sword and then slashes it, he shoots a curved energy beam. This is similar to slashing Knight Beams, except the distance it makes isn't as wide, he's capable of slashing this beam at any time he wants, and it does more damage than an ordinary Knight Beam. The attack sometimes slightly homes into the target, and sometimes does that much better.
- Electricity Manipulation: Unnamed technique, Meta Knight, briefly raises his sword to generate green electricity that he extends to his surroundings.
- Fire Manipulation: Can use fire versions of Moon Shot. In Epic Yarn and its remake, Extra Epic Yarn, he can involve his sword (which isn't Galaxia at the time) with energy whose colors vary in each of his phases but appears to be fire, this allows him to reach great distances.
- Duplication: Meta Knight uses his sword to create four clones of himself with low durability but identical strength. The duplicates eventually disappear.
- Drill Rush: Meta Knight drills into the target with Galaxia.
- Piercing Slash: A move that consists of doing the same as with Drill Rush, although apparently faster.
- Shuttle Loop: Meta Knight uppercuts with his sword, travels in a loop and glides.
- Gliding: Done right after a Shuttle Loop or without it, Meta Knight glides up and down while going forwards.
- Meta Multithrust: Meta Knight swiftly jabs the target multiple times.
- Knight Spin: Meta Knight quickly swings his sword in a pitch movement.
- Galactic Counter: Meta Knight holds Galaxia in front of him in an identical pose to his guard. If hit by an attack, he will back up to avoid it, then rush forward and slash.
- Meta Spin Slash: Meta Knight rewinds his sword while charging, then twirls rapidly with it outstretched, hitting enemies to both sides in a close range. He can mobilize while doing this.
- Mach Tornado: Meta Knight performs the Meta Spin Slash as usual, but leaps into the air while spinning, also becoming much more mobile in midair.
Thanks to Galaxia, Meta Knight can freely use special moves during his battles. When he's a playable character, using this moves cost him points he has to collect or gain via defeating foes; This is due to Game Mechanics, Galaxia itself has even been stated to have "unlimited power." This list also covers similar and powerful moves he doesn't normally have access to use.
- Tornado Attack (トルネイドアタック): Meta Knight makes a massive jump, turns into a tornado and slowly descends trying to reach his opponents if he gets them the attack will ignore any guard if he fails Meta Knight will be momentarily exposed.
- Tornado Slash (竜巻斬り): Meta Knight creates one tornado with his sword which is impossible to block.
- Knight Call: Meta Knight summons a Blade or Sword Knight to aid him in battle.
- Meta Quick: Meta Knight increases his speed. The effects are shared if he has a Knight summon.
- Heal/Healing: Meta Knight replenishes his health and stamina entirely, it also increases his speed momentarily. The effects are shared if he has a Knight summoned.
- Mach Tornado: Meta Knight creates two powerful tornadoes in his immediate vicinity, heavily damaging all who are caught within. In some cases, this tornado is localized around Meta Knight, simultaneously damaging foes and protecting him from attack. It can ignore Galacta Knight's guard and should be comparable to his other tornado attacks.
- Galaxia Darkness: Meta Knight swings his cape at his opponent, paralyzing them and covering the surrounding area in pitch-black darkness should it connect. After a few seconds, the target(s) caught by the cape is sent flying by an immensely powerful slash while a far more minor attack merely damages other foes. Ignores Galacta Knight's guard, its version in Super Smash Bros. also ignores guards.
- Meta Knightmares: Meta Knight summons members of the Meta-Knights for a devastating full-screen attack, finishing with an explosion, the knights disappear after this. Currently, his most powerful attack.
- Meta Calibur: Meta Knight briefly charges Galaxia and drags it forward. Upon landing, the target is moved upwards to then be repeatedly hit from all directions at high speed, making it seem as if Meta Knight duplicated himself (which is likely the case due to the context of the technique below). Finally, Meta Knight slams the target down.
- Darkness Illusion: A technique currently exclusive in the non-canon Super Smash Bros. series, as Galaxia Darkness once was. It is an improved version of powers and techniques Meta Knight already has in canon. To quote its description from the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's Move List; "Meta Knight raises his sword, emitting a blast of electricity. If he hits an opponent, he multiplies himself to attack and launch the opponent. If no one is hit, the move won't do anything." The duplicates likely come from Meta Knight's power to duplicate himself as opposed to them being a product of Perception Manipulation, as the name of the technique would suggest (or perhaps his power to duplicate himself is a product of Perception Manipulation).
- Special: Meta Knight's special move in the mini-game Slash & Bead from Extra Epic Yarn. It defeats all minor enemies on screen.
- Dimensional Cape: Meta Knight wraps himself in his cape to teleport away. This is done both to avoid damage and to deliberate a surprise attack right after teleporting. After being defeated in a duel, Meta Knight will usually teleport in this way to escape. He has even come back to confront his opponent mere minutes after doing this, without any sign of fatigue. The cape itself can instantly transform into his wings and vice versa,
- Dimensional Strike: Meta Knight charges up Galaxia with energy, his wings transformed into his cape, and then he disappears before reappearing, performing the Meta Spin Slash. Meta Knight can move while charging and positioning while disappearing.
- Meta Condor Dive: While in the air, Meta Knight dives diagonally downwards, sending out two shockwave projectiles to either side on impact.
- Attack Reflection: An ability he shares with Kirby. While hitting them with any move, Meta Knight has shown to redirect attacks and projectiles at his opponents. The reflected attacks will be homing into the aggressor as opposed to being repeating in reverse their original route. At worst, he achieves this by hitting the attacks more than once, although these are arguably just Game Mechanics. This technique either comes from magic or sheer precision, or both.
- Space Jump: A technique most Kirby characters have, Meta Knight transforms into a small ball of energy which turns out to be intangible, he uses this power to mobilize himself or regroup with mates faster.
- Friend Heart: Obtained in Kirby Star Allies, Meta Knight generates a Friend Heart, which is then quickly thrown to his objective(s). This can be done an unlimited amount of time as well as repeatedly. Upon contact (or near it), the Friend Heart will generate a major change in the empathy of the being(s) affected to the point of making them change their morality towards being an ally to Meta Knight. The Friend Hearts have also shown to make feel objectives extremely happy, make them have a deep appreciation for the one who used a Friend Heart on them, generate clothes in others, work on robots, heal & purify others, operate without making direct contact to others' bodies as well as affect more than one being at a time, and, by the end of the main story in Star Allies, overwrite the multi-galactic morality changing effects Void Termina forces on allies, thus having the potency of its own morality & empathic manipulation scaling from Void Termina, who gets physically harmed by the Friend Hearts. (It should be noticed that Void Termina getting harmed by the Friend Hearts could be a specific weakness of his, a characteristic of the Friend Hearts, or both, this is left unclear.) The last function the Friend Hearts have is that their targets will immediately be bestowed with the ability the generate and use Friend Hearts with all previously mentioned characteristics.
- Revival Spell: A technique that, depending on the game, either resurrects dead allies or merely heals them from being defeated & unconscious. Both uses are applied to their users as they are doing the same process over what seems to be the same spell given the same name. Initially appearing in the Team Kirby Clash mini-game, the Kirbys there could approach others Kirbys and revive them when being defeated, which meant falling into the floor with their souls leaving their bodies. On the Team Kirby Clash Deluxe & Super Kirby Clash games the Kirbys there could even obtain items to improve their ability to resurrect others. Before the latter game, in Kirby Star Allies, every playable character became able to "Revive" defeated allies, but these defeated allies don't lose their souls and it's notable how some are still breathing.
- Team Attack: A technique Meat Knight can access to with at least another known ally with similar control over energy, such as every Star Ally.
- In Return to Dream Land when piggybacking an ally or more, they can briefly charge energy to use a special attack, the more allies charging energy, the more powerful the attack will be. The form of the attack depends on the ally below, which is shooting it. Meta Knight uses his sword to launch a giant beam with the form of Galaxia that can pass through enemies. Meta Knight & all other allies in-game (Kirby, King Dedede, and Bandana Dee) can use their Team Attack to push back and warp the waves of space that were consuming interstellar parts of Another Dimension.
- In Star Allies when piggybacking an ally or more, they can briefly charge energy to shoot an energy beam (without using Galaxia). The more allies charging energy, the more powerful the attack will be. Given that the partner can be another Meta Knight, this is a power he can do on his own.
Heals all of his health when eaten.
Heal varying amounts of his health.
Gives Meta Knight extra powers constantly or when activated:
- Super Charge: Widens charge-attack range and raises attack strength by 20% for 15 seconds when activated.
- Small Speed Boost: Increases movement speed by 10% constantly.
- Big Speed Boost: Increases movement speed by 50% for 15 seconds when activated.
- Quick Charge: Halves charging time for 15 seconds when activated.
- Maxim Tomato: Recovers all health when activated.
- Metal: When activated, it protects Meta Knight for 10 seconds, but he's heavier and less mobile.
- Small Attack Boost: Increases attack strength by 10% constantly.
- Big Attack Boost: Increases attack strength by 40% for 15 seconds when activated.
- Quick Revive: Decreases the amount of time it takes to recover constantly.
- Life Up: Raises maximum health by 40% constantly.
- Power Throw: Improves throwing ability constantly.
- Invisibility: Makes Meta Knight transparent for 15 seconds when activated.
- Mega Blast: Will send foes Meta Knight attacks flying farther constantly.
- Cashgrabber: Raises the number of things you an steal from foes by 50% constantly.
- Deflector: Brushes off attacks automatically for 60 seconds when activated.
- Superspicy Curry: Lets Meta Knight blow flames for 10 seconds when activated.
- Berserk: Raises attack strength by 40% and mobility by 50%, but slowly drains health when activated.
It starts growing in size after being picked up and explodes by itself if held for too long.
When held, it fires arcing shots automatically to a fixed distance ahead of the carrier for as long as it lasts.
When collected, Meta Knight becomes invincible for a short time, and almost any enemy he touches will be instantly defeated, or at least damaged.
The character holding it cannot fly or float with it. As long as it is being held, its carrier is both invisible and intangible. The Invisibility Stone will respawn in its original place if destroyed. It only lasts for a limited time and flashes red when it is close to expiring.
A vehicle that Meta Knight can use, its charge attack is a powerful dash attack.
Called "Lobster Tank" by fans. Another vehicle that he can use, its charge attack is a powerful electroshock that comes from its mouth area.
When picked up and used Meta Knight summons one of the following Dream Friends to assist him
The Final Weapon in Star Allies, used to take out Void Termina. The Star Allies Sparkler fires projectiles from the tip, fly around quickly and efficiently and spin counterclockwise to avoid all damage on a relative scale (Sparkler Turn). Kirby canonically took the lead in the center of the Sparkler while his friends rode in the tail. Still, the leader can be rotated to imbue the shots with a different element depending on the leader (the technique is called Rider Switch). The Sparkler can fire different homing projectiles with varying power depending on charge time. An uncharged shot is called the Sparkler Comet, and it fires a star-shaped projectile. A charged shot is called the Sparkler Starshot, and it fires a projectile shaped like two intertwining stars. The strongest attack is called Team Star Allies!, which, if everyone who's riding charges together and releases at the same time, fires a giant laser at the opponent. Meta Knight uses this item on his own when used in The Ultimate Choice of Star Allies.
Used to increase his statistics. The effects are shared with allies.
- Speed Power-Up Hearts: Increases speed.
- Health Power-Up Hearts: Increases & heals all health.
- Attack Power-Up Hearts: Increases attack potency.
- All Power-Up Hearts: Gives all previous effects at once.