|Games||Main • Paper • Hotel Mario|
|Shows||Super Mario Brothers Super Show|
|Comics||Super Mario Adventures • Valiant Comics|
|“||It's-a me, Mario!||„|
|~ Mario's iconic quote|
|“||Oooh... ah! Luigi! You save Mario! Way to go! Number one!||„|
|~ Mario thanking Luigi|
|“||Power-up complete. Thank you for purchasing this item from Gadd Science, Incorporated. Preparing to register customer information. Scanning and classifying subject data... Subject identified as Mario, resident of the Mushroom Kingdom. Data storage complete. I am F.L.U.D.D.--a Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance.||„|
|“||Oh no! We've got to do something! I have just developed a new vitamin that should be able to take care of it. I sure hope this stuff works!||„|
|~ Dr. Mario|
|“||It's Mario, silly! He's here to save Princess Peach, who was kidnapped by Bowser. Remember? He fights until the bitter end, no matter what enemies attack.||„|
|~ Lee using Tattle on Mario|
|“||But he's made of the same papery stuff as the rest of the world, right? Yeah, it should work fine. The rest is up to you, Mario.||„|
|~ Kersti to Mario|
Mario is the main character and protagonist of the long-running and highly successful Mario series. He was created by Japanese video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto and also serves as the main mascot of Nintendo. Mario made his first appearance as the protagonist of the arcade game Donkey Kong, released in 1981.
Since Super Mario Bros., his trademark abilities have been his jumping and stomping powers, with which he defeats most of his enemies, and his ability to gain powers with a plethora of items, such as the Super Mushroom, Fire Flower, and the Super Star. Games have usually portrayed Mario as a silent character without a distinct personality (Fortune Street is a notable exception).
According to Nintendo's philosophy, this allows Mario to fit in many different genres and roles. In most games, he is the hero that goes on an adventure to save Princess Peach from Bowser, but he has been shown doing many other activities besides adventuring, such as racing and sporting with his younger twin brother and others.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 3-C | 3-C | 3-C, likely far higher | 2-B
Origin: Donkey Kong (First Appearance), Super Mario Bros (Official debut)
Powers and Abilities:
Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Acrobatics, Enhanced Jumping Skills, Genius Intelligence, Expert Combatant, Fourth Wall Breaking, Vehicular Mastery, Adaptation, Underwater Breathing (Type 2), Self-Sustenance (Type 1), Fire Manipulation, Ice Manipulation, Skilled Hammer Wielder, Weapon Creation, Energy Manipulation, Energy Projection, Limited Forcefield Creation, Intangibility, Limited Invulnerability (Via Triple Jump), Afterimage Creation, Attack Reflection (His hammer and spin jump can reflect projectiles, Superguard can parry attacks), Air Manipulation, Size Manipulation, Explosion Manipulation, Time Travel, Acausality (Type 1), Shares a telepathic bond with Luigi, Telekinesis, Non-Physical Interaction (Can harm Boos and Cackletta's soul), Can flip/phase between 2 and 3 dimensions, BFR, Spatial Manipulation, Hammerspace, Status Effect Inducement, Toon Force and Elasticity (Can survive being flattened and is able to recover immediately), Perception Manipulation, Possible Existence Erasure (Wiped Wendy's castle from existence. Should noted that this might most likely fall under Toon Force), Resistance to the following: Heat (Hot enough to vaporise Grodus and his metallic gear), Extreme Cold, Cosmic Radiations, Mind Manipulation (Minor), Gravity Manipulation (Has adjusted his gravity to walk normally on hundreds of different sized planets and has been near black holes), Paralysis Inducement (Resists being paralysed by Bowyer's arrows), Sleep Manipulation (Resisted the Dreambeats, which put all inhabitants of Pi'illo island to sleep), Corruption (Was unaffected by both the Black Paint and the Passive corruptive aura of Fury Bowser), Transmutation, Black Holes (Can survive being pulled into a black hole), Void Manipulation (Survived the incomplete Void), Existence Erasure, likely Petrification (Seemingly broke free from being turned to stone, though the effect may have simply worn off), Electricity Manipulation (Can survive lightning attacks from the Shadow Queen which could vaporise an injured Grodus instantly, including his metallic gear)
Transformation and Statistics Amplification (Via multiple power-ups), Healing (Super Mushroom), Size Manipulation (Super Mushroom, Mini Mushroom, and Mega Mushroom), Fire Manipulation (Fire Flower), Invulnerability (Starman, Rainbow Star, Super Star, Mega Mushroom, Invincibility Leaf, etc), Ice Manipulation (Ice Flower), Teleportation (With P-wing and Warp Whistle), Flight (Multiple Power Ups), Animal Manipulation (Super Bell, Super Leaf, Frog Suit, Penguin, Suit, etc), Vibration Manipulation (Mega Mushroom and Cape Feather), Attack Reflection (Cape Feather), Weapon Mastery (Hammer Suit, Superball Flower, and Boomerang Flower), Surface Scaling (Mini Mushroom and Super Bell)
Shapeshifting and Power Mimicry (Luigi and Wario caps), Creation (With Superhammer), Ice Manipulation (Ice Storm), Sleep Manipulation (Sleepy Sheep and Lullaby), Intangibility (Vanish Cap), Invisibility (Vanish Cap), Metal Manipulation (Metal Cap), Earth Manipulation (Rock Mushroom), Cloud Manipulation (Cloud Flower), Transmutation (Gold Flower and Music Keys), Soul Manipulation, Sealing (With Catch Card), Explosion Manipulation (Gold Flower), Attacking foes without direct contact (Boost Star), Statistics Amplification (Gold Flower), Time Manipulation (Speed and Slow Flower, Stop Watch, and Battle Cards), Purification (Type 3, can cure status ailments with Able Juice), Possession (Via Cappy), Water Manipulation with F.L.U.D.D., Passive Resurrection (Via 1-Up Glove, Life Shroom, Retry Clock, and Earlier Times), Summoning (Capable of summoning the Zeekeeper), Passive Damage Nullification (Guard Shell DX or Battle Cards), Electricity Manipulation (Via Volt Shroom or Zap Tap), OHK (Showstopper), Duplication (Via Clone Jump, Double Cherry, and Copy Flower), Probability Manipulation (With Close Call or Lucky Day which causes enemies to sometimes miss), Weather Manipulation, Mind Control, Empathic Manipulation, and Reality Warping (Via Music Keys), Portal Creation (Via Magic Window), Transmutation and BFR (Up and Away), Statistics Amplification, Healing, and Statistics Reduction (Via Battle Cards), Sound Generation (With various Things like a guitar), Acid Generation (The Lemon Thing can be used by Mario to squeeze acid into the eyes of his enemies, blinding them), Adhesive Manipulation (The Tape item can be used to tape enemies into the fabric of reality), Superior Toon Force (Can staple opponents to the fabric of reality, paralysing them with a Stapler. The Thumbtack Thing does something similar), Broadway Force (Mario can cause plates and even wooden logs to dance along with him. The Disco Ball Thing can force enemies to dance uncontrollably for a period of time), Light Generation (Flashlight is a Thing Mario can control which blinds the enemy with intense light for several turns), Absorption (Can summon a large Sponge to absorb atttacks in front of him)
Super Suit or Feeling Fine badge grants him resistance to Elemental Manipulation, Fear Manipulation, Transmutation, Poison Manipulation, Sleep Manipulation, Instant Death Attacks, Time Manipulation, Statistics Reduction, Paralysis Inducement, and Power Nullification
Statistics Amplification, Pocket Reality Manipulation, Sealing, Healing, Black Hole Creation (Power Stars have been shown to be capable in creating and containing black holes), Existence Erasure (Power Stars are composed of Mini Stars, which are capable of erasing the physical bodies of opponents)
Attack Potency: Galaxy level (Can defeat users of the Grand Stars, which can create entire galaxies) | Galaxy level (Comparable to Lumas, which are capable of turning into Power Stars and galaxies) | Galaxy level (Defeated Shiny Bowser easily, who was able to take little damage from even Mario's strongest stickers in his base form), likely far higher (Bowser's Royal Sticker was stated to be Infinitely stronger than the others) | Multiverse level (The light equivalent of the Chaos Heart, which allowed him to defeat Super Dimentio after being empowered by it)
Speed: Massively FTL+ (Capable of reacting while being launched by a Launch Star. Capable of dodging attacks from a Grand Star-powered Bowser, who can tag Starship Mario with his meteors and flew the center of the universe in a short time. Capable of reacting to Bowser and Bowser Jr riding the Koopa Clown Car, which flew towards the sun and from their home planet to a nearby galaxy in a short period of time.)
Striking Strength: Galactic | Galactic | Galactic, likely far higher | Multiversal
Durability: Galaxy level (Capable of taking hits from Bowser and Grand Star users) | Galaxy level (Comparable to Luma) | Galaxy level, likely far higher (Effortlessly defeated Shiny Bowser who base Mario can barely harm, even with his strongest stickers) | Multiverse level (Survived Super Dimentio's relentless attacks)
Stamina: Superhuman (Can perform various activities and travel to multiple regions with no signs of exhaustion. Also completed 100 trials of both Flipside and Flopside while defeating Shadoo and Wracktail in a sitting), limitless with the Pure Hearts
Range: Depends on the power-up. Standard melee range to Tens of meters with power-ups. Multiversal with the Pure Hearts
- Optional Equipment: F.L.U.D.D., Cappy, and various power-up and items
Intelligence: Genius (Although mostly known as a plumber, Mario possesses numerous and versatile talents, from being able to excel in many sports such as basketball, tennis, and soccer to taking up other careers such as archaeology, education, and engineering. He can play the guitar, quickly fix a clear pipe with the help of his brother Luigi, and fly a helicopter that's able to lift a giant gold statue of Peach. He's even intelligent enough to excel in multiple white-collar occupations such as being a physician and the CEO of a highly successful toy company and is also a highly capable doctor who is able to create his own medicine to cure diseases. Mario is an experienced fighter and expert combatant, battling and defeating a diversity of foes and beings with various magic, unnatural powers and abilities, vastly different technology, and multiple fighting styles. His expertise and fighting prowess even extend back to his earlier years, where he's fully capable of piloting vehicles, skillfully use various power-ups and weapons, and confront an entire alien race invading his planet as an infant. He also outsmarted archaeologists and scientists during his vacation to Pi'illo Island, solving the very mystery that left the aforementioned people scratching their heads and was able to beat Jynx, a master combatant, who was so impressed with Mario's fighting capabilities, he renamed his entire dojo after the plumber and made him the master. Mario has gained so much skill that he's capable of completing trials such as The Perfect Run, Tubular, The Impossible Pack, and more, where Mario's incapable of suffering so much as a single hit. Mario's multiple accomplishments have made him famous worldwide)
Weaknesses: Most of his power-ups have a time limit or can be removed from an attack and he's somewhat impulsive and not much of a strategist.
Jump: Mario's main and preferred method of attack. He jumps on his opponent and crushes him/her with sheer strength. He is incredibly skilled with this action, being able to perform various jump techniques:
- Spin Jump: Mario spins while jumping, allowing him to jump on spiky enemies and hazards such as buzzsaws. This move can also allow Mario to hover, slowly descend, deflect projectiles, and clear fogs and smoke. Using this move with the Fire or Ice Flower with make Mario scatter fireballs or ice balls in multiple directions.
- Drill Spin: After using a Spin Jump or spinning in the air, Mario will descend and spin much faster in a drill-like fashion with tremendous force. This attack does double damage on spiky enemies.
- Super Jump Punch: Mario strikes the target multiple times with a punch while jumping.
- Double Kick: Mario performs a spinning kick and quickly follows up with a long jump to kick the foe again.
- Super Jump: Mario will jump multiple times on a single enemy at a quick rate. He can do this up to 100 times in a row.
- Ultra Jump: This attack is not only more powerful than Super Jump, but it can attack multiple enemies at once.
- Clone Jump: Mario will create clones of himself. He and his clones will then assault their foes with a super-strong jump.
- Tornado Jump: Mario will jump and spin incredibly fast to create tornadoes that damage enemies.
- Expanded Triple Jump (Unofficial name): Mario will perform the Triple Jump. The final jump makes him invincible to enemies and attacks.
- Iron-Ball Boots: An equipment that will occasionally make large iron balls plunge into his foes after Mario jumps on them.
- Blazing Wall Jump: Mario's special move where he can execute wall jumps without any walls.
Hammer: Mario's weapon of choice that serves as a counterpart to his jumps. He brings it out and strikes the enemy with it. He also uses it to counterattacks, reflects projectiles, and occasionally inflict status conditions such as making foes dizzy or reduce their speed or defense.
- Iron Hammer: Mario summons a giant iron hammer and hits the target with it. The force from the hit is powerful enough to leave a blazing trail on the target.
- Iron-Ball Hammer: Mario strikes his target with his hammer and iron balls will occasionally fall on the opponent right after.
- Quake Hammer: Mario swings his hammer down and generates a massive earthquake.
- Fire Drive: Mario swings his hammer to unleash a wave of fire across the ground.
- Hurlhammer: Mario hurls a hammer into the air that turns huge while plunging and strikes all foes with a powerful force that also hits flying foes.
- Baahammer: Mario hits his opponents with his hammer which damages them and puts them to sleep afterward.
- Blazehammer: Mario swings his hammer and unleashes a huge flame explosion that scorches most foes.
- Chillhammer: Mario releases a frigid blast after slamming his hammer, freezing most foes with a powerful arctic chill.
- Jet Board Dash: Mario rides on a rocket-powered skateboard, building up its speed. He then strikes the target with his hammer after reaching maximum speed.
Pyrokinesis: Mario can manipulate fire and perform various fire techniques without a fire flower in some games. Some of his techniques include:
- Fireball: Mario will shoot a ball of fire from his hands. In Mario Kart: Double Dash, he can shoot up to five of them at once.
- Firebrand: Taught by the Fire God. Mario charges fire energy in his palm and unleashes an explosive blast of flame on the enemies in close range. The fireballs from this move can be accumulated into a huge fireball for Mario to spike down on the targets, creating a powerful explosion and inflicting a burn status upon the opponents.
- Fire Orb: Mario fires an assault of small fireballs at his target.
- Super Flame: Mario unleashes a barrage of large powerful fireballs from his fist.
- Ultra Flame: Mario launches enormous and large fireballs that attacks all foes onscreen. The entire surrounding glows red during the attack.
- Fire Swing: Mario swings the weapon so fast that it catches on fire and then strikes the target with it. The target is then cloaked in fire afterward.
- Fire Strike: Mario's Super Strike. He strikes the target with such speed and force, the receiving end will catch fire.
- Mega Fire: Mario's Mega Strike. He jumps incredibly high in the air, turning into a fiery Metal Mario and then delivers a kick that has tremendous re-entry force.
Mario Tornado: Mario horizontally spins like a tornado, trapping opponents in a series of hits if they get caught.
Energy Manipulation: Mario can fire energy balls in rapid succession and can charge it into a large ball to release a barrage of homing energy projectiles.
Superguard: Mario's advance method of guarding. Using this move will damage the opponent who attacks him directly and protects him for projectiles. He can even use this move to protect himself from status conditions, including being immobilized by time.
Super Mario!: Mario will temporarily increase his size, being able to squash his opponent and bulldoze some obstacles.
Flip: Taught by Bestovius in Super Paper Mario. Mario flips into a parallel dimension called the "3D dimension". While in this dimension, he can't be seen and attacks from enemies in the other realm are generally rendered useless. It's also applied in vice verse if he is in the "2D realm." He takes damage if he remains in the former realm for long but his Catch Card enables him to remain in the realm indefinitely.
Magic Window: Mario summon a window for him and Luigi to jump into. They then rapidly attack the opponent from various portals they opened.
Bubble: Mario will incase himself in a bubble. Being within the protective bubble makes him impervious to hazards and attacks.
Magic Weapon: Mario forges a weapon of pure energy in shape of a hockey stick. It's only seen in Mario Sports Mix in a battle against the Behemoth.
Bye-Bye Cannon: After summoning a cannon and jumping in it, the cannon will fire clones of Mario and his ally that also jumped in. They attack the foe with a string of jumps and follow up with an assault of the stronger Spin Jump afterward for maximum damage.
Bomb Derby: Mario summons a stack of bombs to chuck at his foes with his hammer. This attack can lower the enemies' attack power.
Cannonball Chuck: Mario summons a giant cannonball. He then swings and hurls at it toward his target, creating a shockwave from the impact.
Zee Egg: Mario summons the Zeekeeper to aid him in battle
Cappy: A Bonneter that Mario befriended with. He grants Mario's signature cap special powers:
- Cap Throw: Mario throws his hat which then returns to him like a boomerang. It can use to attack enemies, hit objects multiple times, clears poisonous terrains, and gain additional maneuvers.
- Homing Cap Throw: Mario throw his hat which then seeks and hits the nearest enemy.
- Spin Throw: Mario throws his cap and it spins around him for a few seconds, attacking anyone within the radius.
- Capture: After his cap is thrown at his target, Mario begins taking control of the said target. This move can possess multiple creatures and even inanimate objects.
Bottomless Glove: Gloves Mario wears that allows him to utilize any item without it being used up or removed from his inventory, enabling him to use them as many times as he wishes.
Feeling Fine: A badge Mario wears which protects him from all status conditions such as poison, confusion, and even time manipulation.
Music Keys: Artifacts with the power of music. They hold multiple powers such as mind control, manipulating the weather and emotions, healing, and even warping reality.
Stopwatch: A watch that enables Mario to stop or slow down time.
Retry Clock: A clock-like item that enables Mario to restart the entire battle he participates in if he's defeated.
Spin Drill: Mario uses a drill to directly pierce through planets, dirt and enemies on his way (cannot drill through hard/un-drillable surfaces)
Guard Shell DX: A special equipment that nullifies any attack Mario takes for the first couple hits.
Boo Biscuit: This item will prevent Mario from taking any damage. However, his attacks are ineffective against his foes as well. This is mainly used for scouting and studying how the enemies fight.
Battle Cards: Mario can utilize cards with special effects to give himself an advantage in battle. Effects can range from increasing his attack, defense, and speed, doing the exact opposite to his opponent, recovering health, nullifying damage, or stopping time.Invisibility Hat: An extremely rare hat that enables Mario to becomes invisible after wearing it.
Power-ups: Mario can use several items which grant him several forms with special abilities which are stated in this list:
- Fire Mario: Shoots fireballs of different sizes. The biggest ones are usually bigger than him.
- Cape Mario: Float, fly, create an earthquake by slamming the ground, slow descent, reflect objects and spin at enemies.
- Superstar Mario: Similar to Cape Mario with additional super speed and invincibility
- Tanooki Mario: Grows a tail to attack with, turn into an invincible statue, and fly
- Raccoon Mario: Similar to Tanooki Mario but without the ability to turn into a statue.
- Hammer Mario: Throw hammers and block fire when ducking
- Metal Mario: Invincibility, destruction of enemies, walking underwater, no need for air for a few seconds
- Vanish Mario: Intangibility and invisibility for a few seconds
- Boo Mario: Can float, go through walls, turn invisible, and attract Boos
- Ice Mario: Freeze obstacles such as water or lava upon contact for some seconds(Super Mario Galaxy). Also shoot ice balls that can freeze enemies, fireballs, magical attacks(New Super Mario Bros Wii), and reduces their speed, defense, and attack power(Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time).
- Mega Mario: Break almost anything, defeat enemies on contact, invincibility for a few seconds
- Rock Mario: Encases Mario in a rock, making him able to crush enemies and granting the ability to destroy red crystals (who are harder than normal crystals)
- Invincible/Rainbow Mario: Invincibility, super speed, gain star bits, break objects, long jump, higher jump
- White Tanooki Mario: This is a similar item to the Tanooki leaf but with one major difference; it grants Mario Starman's one-hit kill ability, it also lacks the Starman's time limit so Mario is always in star/rainbow mode while using this item.
- White Raccoon Mario: Similar to the White Tanooki power-up, with the only difference being its appearance and ability to walk on water.
- Gold Mario: Fires enormous gold fireballs that create a shockwave explosion on contact instantly killing enemies and turning them into coins. It is also shown to increase attack damage and resistances to opponents attacks
- Cat Mario: Grants the ability to climb walls, scratch enemies with claws, perform a dive bomb attack, and increase sprint speed. It has a variant called Lucky Cat Mario, where it has all of the same abilities and the additional power to turn into a gold invincible statue that has the Starman's one-hit kill ability.
- White Cat Mario: A variant of Cat Mario with all of its ability and an additional unlimited invincibility.
- Giga Cat Mario: Another variant of Cat Mario that enables him to grow into a monstrous size.
- Double Mario: Mario creates a clone of himself. He can spawn up to five of them.
- Builder Mario: Enables the use of a hammer as a melee weapon and gains a skill in throwing several of them. Can also create up to five characterized creates.
Star Abilities: Upon saving a Star Spirit or obtaining a Crystal Star, Mario gains additional abilities:
- Lullaby: Puts foes into sleep.
- Star Storm: Creates a star shower to attack all enemies.
- Chill Out: Greatly weakens the foe's attacking power.
- Time Out: Stops time to freeze all enemies for awhile.
- Up and Away: Turns enemies into harmless stars and sends them into the sky.
- Sweet Treat: Replenishes HP and FP, as well as curing all status effects.
- Earth Tremor: This power creates an earthquake that can do damage against all enemies.
- Clock Out: Immobilizes all enemies temporarily when successful.
- Power Lift: Boosts attack and defense power for a short time.
- Art Attack: Any amount of damage can be done depending on how many times encircled around the enemies. This attack pierces through defenses.
- Sweet Feast: Replenishes HP and FP, as well as, curing all status effects to a greater degree.
- Showstopper: If, successful, it destroys enemies in a single blow.
- Supernova: This attack does damage to all enemies in a shattering explosion that pierces defenses.
Note: Despite the confusion of the Mario Bros franchise canon due to its 5th installment of the Mario and Luigi series, Paper Jam, several games such as Super Mario 64 DS, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 5, and other installment has made several connections to the Paper Mario franchise which establish the series to be part of the same verse. It should be noted that the Paper Mario series has made several connections to other games as well with an interview of the creator confirming that the overall franchise having no canon to speak of. As such, the character that appears in the Paper Mario series is still the same character from other installments. For the stats on Paper Mario, who appeared in Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, click here.
Key: Base | With the Power Star | With the Royal Stickers | With the Pure Hearts
Dark Enchantress Cookie (Cookie Run) Dark Enchantress Cookie's Profile (Pure Hearts Mario and Dark Enchantress Cookie were used, speed was equalized, both had prior knowledge, winning was via incapacitation and Mario was bloodlusted and had all optional equipment)
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
- Super Paper Mario
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
- Paper Mario: Color Splash & Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
- Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix
|Discussion threads involving Mario|