The one hundred Makuta were shaped from Antidermis within the Matoran Universe by Mata Nui to uphold peace and stability within, gifted with a variety of powers and wisdom for this purpose. However, after one of their number became corrupted by ambition, the others followed, discarding their inner light and becoming malicious, self-serving monsters who sought only greater and greater power, at any cost. In the process, they evolved into beings of pure Antidermis, shedding their original biomechanical bodies to become things of energy, unburdened by physical needs.
- Absorption: Makuta absorb others and take on their traits, even in their Antidermis forms.
- Corruption: Types 2 and 3; Makuta can infect Kanohi with Kraata, and seventh-stage Kraata can do this from a distance.
- Darkness Manipulation: Makuta can naturally control elemental Shadow.
- Inorganic Physiology: Type 1. A Makuta is merely a mass of energy occupying a mechanical body.
- Longevity: The Makuta were created 100,000 years ago, and none of them have noticeably aged, though Voporak can still potentially kill, or at least debilitate them by accelerating their aging.
- Mind Manipulation and Telepathy: All Makuta are naturally telepathic, and they can control the minds of others. Teridax's Antidermis was also able to control others upon exposure when it was separated from the rest of his mass.
- Non-Corporeal: In their true forms, Makuta are masses of pure Antidermis - that is, pure energy. However, they need a container to be able to keep their mass together, and without one, they will eventually dissipate and die.
- Possession: In their true forms, Makuta can possess unoccupied bodies.
- Self-Sustenance: Types 1, 2, and 3. Makuta do not need to eat, breathe, or sleep thanks to their artificial bodies.
- Shapeshifting and Sizeshifting: Makuta can freely shapeshift, and can grow in size after absorbing and breaking other beings down into energy.
- Virus Manipulation: Makuta can engineer and control energy-based viruses that can infect mechanical or biomechanical beings, or create new Rahi.
- Kraata Powers: All Makuta have access to all the forty-two of the powers used by the forty-two variants of Kraata and, thus, Rahkshi. Some of these powers are already provided otherwise due to their nature as a Makuta, such as shapeshifting and mind reading. They can only have one of these powers active at a time, but they can still easily and rapidly switch between them. These powers are: