|“||How'd you like a humble Japanese woman who fights? ...My strength adds to my beauty, you know!||„|
|~ Mai Shiranui|
Mai Shiranui is the granddaughter of Hanzo Shiranui, master of ninjutsu and Koppo-ken. Mai learned from her father the secrets of Ninjutsu. She had met Andy Bogard, during this time, who had come to train under her grandfather. Mai then had to take alternate courses from her grandfather's friend, Jubei Yamada in ninjutsu. At first, Mai was uninterested in Andy and only thought of him as another callous man only interested in his training. It wasn't until he gave her a present on her birthday that she saw him in another light and eventually fell in love with him.
She spends much of the series endlessly pursuing Andy and fantasizing various daydreams about their wedding. When developers were asked about her whereabouts during Mark of the Wolves, they chose not to answer the question directly. However, they did divulge that she still loves Andy — as she always has — ten years later.
Powers and Stats
Tier: Low 7-B
Name: Mai Shiranui
Origin: Fatal Fury / King of Fighters
Classification: Human, Martial Artist, Ninja, The Alluring Ninja Girl, Heiress of the Shiranui Clan
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Expert Hand-to-Hand/Ninjutsu Combatant, Weapon Mastery (Via her fans), Acrobatics, Hammerspace, Fire Manipulation, Levitation, Water Walking (Can walk on water), Surface Scaling (Is capable of climbing any surface thanks to her training in Shinobi-iri), Duplication (Can create doppelgangers/clones of herself via Bushin), Air Manipulation (Can produce miniature hurricanes via Blossom Storm), Explosion Manipulation (Can make her flames explode with some various moves), Stealth Mastery, Statistics Amplification (Can infuse her attacks with fire to increase her power), Resistance to Fire Manipulation (Can make herself resistant to fire via pyrokinesis)
Speed: Massively Hypersonic (Can keep up with the other characters and is likely faster than most)
Lifting Strength: Class 5 (Can throw people as large and heavy as Chang, who also carries a large iron ball)
Striking Strength: Small City Class+
Stamina: High (Can fight even while heavily injured. Continued fighting Lien even after being hit hard enough that she was left coughing up blood)
Range: Standard melee range. At least several meters with projectiles/fire attacks
Standard Equipment: Her fans, umbrella (used to instantly change into an entirely different outfit)
Intelligence: Above Average (Has trained in many of Shiranui-Ryuu Ninjutsu's disciplines. Despite her ditzy personality, she is a capable warrior. Can also flawlessly disguise herself to resemble other people and even mimic their voices)
Weaknesses: Can be somewhat ditzy at times. Her cocky attitude during battle will often lead to her prolonging the fight (though she has shown that she knows when to drop it and get serious).
- Fire Manipulation: Mai's main skill. Allows her to generate flames from out of nowhere. Makes her resistant to her own fire, but not other people's fire attacks.
- Shiranui-Ryuu Style: Mai's fighting style. It consists of 18 disciplines: spiritual refinement, unarmed combat, sword techniques, stick and staff techniques, spear techniques, naginata techniques, kusarigama techniques, throwing weapons techniques, pyrotechnics, disguise and impersonation, stealth and entering methods, horsemanship, water training, tactics, espionage, escaping and concealment, meteorology, and geography.
- Hammerspace: Mai can pull out all sorts of objects from out of nowhere. She can somehow keep an infinite amount of fans in her cleavage. She's capable of pulling out entirely different outfits from an umbrella and change into them instantly.
- Aerial Control: Mai has the ability to temporarily stay airborne and control her movements in the air. This allows her to float, glide, change directions in mid-air or gain temporary flight.
- Bushin: Mai can temporarily project shadow images of herself and her weapon.
- Kachousen: Mai launches one of her fans at the enemy. Some variations involve the fans being covered in flames.
- Sui Chou no Mai: Mai launches multiple consecutive fans at the enemy. Said fans can be covered in flames.
- Ryuenbu: Mai imbues the tail of her kimono with flames and strikes the enemy with it.
- Hakuro no Mai: Mai performs a quick dance move where she strikes the enemy with her fans.
- Hishou Ryuuenjin: Mai performs a frontflip kick while covering her foot with fire.
- Hissatsu Shinobi-Bachi: Mai performs a cartwheel kick before striking the opponent with her elbow. Has an enhanced version where Mai covers her body in flames to deal more damage.
- Musasabi no Mai: Mai leaps up and dives toward the enemy.
- Houou no Mai: Mai leaps into the air and performs a spinning move while covered in flames.
- Kagerou no Mai: Mai creates a spiral of flames around herself. Has an alternate version that creates two clones of her made of fire.
- Hanaarashi: A spinning melee move where Mai strikes the enemy with her fans before rising to the sky.
- Sayo Chidori: Mai performs a heavy swing with her fans. Can be used to negate projectiles.
- Burning Mai: Mai unleashes a torrent of flame that sends her opponent flying back.
- Swallow Saturnalia: Mai performs a flipping blade kick.
- Dragon Flame Romp: Mai spins through the air, repeatedly striking her opponent with fire-infused Kachousen.
- Blossom Storm: Mai begins spinning rapidly, producing a miniature hurricane. Can only be used in water.
- Shiranui-Ryuu Kyuubi no Kitsune: Mai pounces on the enemy and blitzes them while covering them in flames. Said flames explode in an instant.
- Shiranui-Ryuu Kunoichi no Mai: Mai's ultimate move. Mai quickly dashes around while producing flames in the shape of the 女 kanji. An alternate version has her quickly blitz the opponent before dropping on them and smashing their neck.