|“||A threatening cloud of Dark Matter is luring the inhabitants of PopStar to evil, but not if Kirby & Co. have anything to say about it!||„|
|~ Part of the description • Kirby's Dream Land 3 website|
Dark Matter is a species of body-snatching horrors originally led by a large, blood-spewing eyeball named 0. They travel around the cosmos conquering planets by poisoning the atmosphere with their mind-controlling clouds. Their origins and goals are a mystery though, according to a Japanese guidebook, at least one member was motivated by its perpetual jealousy and loneliness. In either case, they are among the most notorious threats to Kirby's universe.
Powers and Stats
Name: Dark Matter
Origin: Kirby's Dream Land 2
Classification: Species of mysterious black clouds, specific member of said species ("Dark Matter" can refer to individual members of the species, a plural amount them or the whole species)
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Non-Physical Interaction (Scaling from Gooey), Self-Sustenance (Type 1), Flight & Spaceflight, Inorganic Physiology (Type 2) & Regeneration (Mid-High. Repeatedly said to be a black cloud, and can quickly recover from exploiting or having its parts scattered), Immortality (Types 3 & 6), Possession (Can possess the bodies of others), Phasing (They don't make any change to their bodies while using it, should likely be their natural state), Duplication (Can split themselves into several more Dark Matter), Body Control, Natural Weaponry (Can make use of the orange petal-like spheres around his body as projectiles and control them when detached from it, regenerating them without problems afterwards), Size Manipulation, Darkness Manipulation, Expert Swordsman, Energy Manipulation, Electricity Manipulation, Corruption, Morality Manipulation, Madness Manipulation (Type 2), Likely Fire Manipulation, Earth Manipulation, Ice Manipulation, and Shapeshifting (Miracle Matter is a Dark Matter being), Likely Absorption/Power Mimicry (Gooey is a Dark Matter being), Creation & Self-Memory Manipulation (Can materialize things from its memories), Blade Generation, Light Manipulation (Able to recreate the Rainbow Sword), Life Manipulation (A big cloud of Dark Matter was creating N-Zs, minor enemies), Resistance to Morality Manipulation & Madness Manipulation
Attack Potency: Multi-Solar System level (Fought Kirby on numerous occasions. Listed among the most powerful warriors in Popstar. It took a massive portion of Star Dream's power just to create an incomplete version), able to ignore durability in some ways
Speed: Massively FTL+ (Flew to planet Popstar, which is located at the edge of the universe. Dark Rimuru, Dark Rimura & Dark Rimuro flew past 8 galaxies in 7 seconds [3606645657.1442c.] while chasing Ribbon who was doing the same. An incomplete clone could keep up with Meta Knight and Kirby)
Lifting Strength: Unknown
Striking Strength: Multi-Solar Systen Class
Durability: Multi-Solar System level (Took many hits from Kirby), regeneration makes it difficult to kill
Stamina: Incredibly high (It has enough energy to sustain a planet)
Range: Standard melee range physically, unknown with Size Manipulation (Massive amounts of them could surround a planet "in an instant"), intergalactic with Morality Manipulation, Madness Manipulation, projectiles and shockwaves (Their influence affected 6 different worlds galaxies away from each other, Dark Matter was only physically present in the first and last of those worlds. Physically scattered the Crystal Shard around those 6 worlds)
Standard Equipment: Dark Matter blade as Bladed Dark Matter, can create new weapons from his memories
Intelligence: Gifted. Created several plans to take over planets and possessed the queen without the main cast finding that out
Weaknesses: Weapons and magic that use love, friendship and positive energies are often used to defeat them and are likely effective against them to an unknown degree (Their opposition can both unprotectedly take hits from Dark Matter and damage those who can harm them, making the power-ups used to face Dark Matter rather pointless. Dark Matter have also been defeated with no such power-ups). Some of them become stunned or injured when knocked out of someone's body, but not all of them.
- Corruption: Despite not being visible where the victims are, Dark Matter can corrupt other with dark clouds and potentially without them; Dark Matter was stated to control others with dark clouds, this is shown in Dream Land 3 as a massive cloud of Dark Matter dispersing through the planet "luring the inhabitants of PopStar to evil". While going through the planet and fighting the victims, the Dark Matter beings and dark clouds are nowhere to be seen until defeating the bosses of that game and expelling Dark Matter's influence from sectors of the planet. In Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards it's indicated many times in the Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards Strategy Guide that Dark Matter had incluenced beings on the 6 different planets Kirby & co. travel through, despite the fact that once again Dark Matter beings and dark clouds aren't shown while traveling for most of those planets (it should be noticed that said guide has several inaccuracies in it, however it is still an official guide, the information is repeated numerous times, and the game alone already suggests this by having the randomly scattered Crystal Shards hidden and guarded by enemies. Additionally, Ripple Star, a planet that was completely took over and covered by Dark Matter, doesn't always show dark clouds in its levels). All of this indicates that Dark Matter are able to influence others without physically entering inside of them, and presumably without using mind-controlling clouds.
- For reference, a singular Dark Matter was able to target Dreamland and aim to eventually shroud the world in darkness, presumably referring to the use of dark clouds. The areas plagued by "pests" are portrayed to be continental-sized islands by the Nintendo Power magazine.
- This corruption shows to work on robots such as Pluggs and HR-H in Crystal Shards.
- The dark clouds that mind control others are also called Dark Matter.
- Possession: Dark Matter enters inside of the body of other and takes control of the person. While doing this, it is able to manipulate the victim's body, make it levitate, or transmute it entirely. Along with the Corruption, Dark Matter usually begins an encounter with others by possessing them as shown here, here and here. Took control of King Dedede off-screen by possessing him in Dream and 2. Along with Zero-Two, they possessed the Fairy Queen off-screen.