|“||We have no nation, no philosophy, no ideology. We go where we're needed, fighting not for country, not for government, but for ourselves. We need no reason to fight. We fight because we are needed. We will be the deterrent for those with no other recourse. We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the era we live in.||„|
|~ Big Boss|
|“||Boss... you were right. It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others and believing in your own.||„|
|~ Big Boss|
The man known as John, or Jack, the "Greatest Warrior of the 20th Century", was one of the sons of the Boss. He once had the code name Naked Snake during Operation Snake Eater - making him the first to bear the alias "Snake." After completing the mission and defeating The Boss, he earned the title Big Boss.
Misinterpreting his late mentor's will, he sought to create a world where soldiers would always have a place and would not be tools of warring governments. He was one of the Patriots' founding members, alongside his former support team, Ocelot, and EVA. Ultimately, following the Les Enfants Terribles project, in which the Patriots created a set of clone sons (Solid, Liquid, and Solidus Snake) from his DNA, Big Boss defected from the Patriots and set out on his own.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 8-B, higher with weapons
Name: John ("Jack"), Naked Snake, Big Boss. Also known as Ishmael and Saladin.
Origin: Metal Gear
Age: 29 (Metal Gear Solid 3) to 79 (Metal Gear Solid 4)
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Genius Intelligence, Master of Stealth, Infiltration and Espionage, Expert Pilot, Master of CQC, Acrobatics (Scaling from Solid Snake), Expert Marksman, Enhanced Senses (Able to detect enemies in a multitude of ways from long distances with equipment, can see ghosts), Healing (Medium and heavy injuries via first aid, can heal from broken bones and gunshots in a matter of seconds), Accelerated Development (Skill and Statistics; went from being severely less skilled than The Boss to being at least comparable to her in a short timeframe, with The Boss herself confirming that he had gotten both stronger and more skilled since their last fight) Limited Technology Manipulation (Via Chaff Grenade, which can confuse radars, fool cameras, radios and some types of UAV), Status Effect Inducement (Can stun his opponents with much of his equipment, such as the stun rod), Minor BFR (via Fulton recovery), Camouflage, Social Influencing (He's a legendary warrior, and soldiers are incredibly attracted to him, showing nothing short of fanatical loyalty towards him. Charmed Ocelot after a short fight, to the point where he basically plotted the entirety of the MGS story just to bring him back to life), Sound Manipulation (The Spirit Camo renders him completely silent and the sneaking suit dampens the sound of his footsteps), Extrasensory Perception and Non-Physical Interaction (Can see and interact with ghosts, could see The Sorrow), Information Analysis (Capable of deducting Ocelot's preferred weapon type just by briefly looking at how his elbow reacted to the recoil), Explosion Manipulation (With Explosives), Light Manipulation (With Stun Grenades), Electricity Manipulation (With Stun Rod), Fire Manipulation (Via White Phosphorus Grenades), Sleep Inducement (Via tranquilizer darts and sleeping gas), Smoke Manipulation (Via Smoke Grenades), Limited Air Manipulation (With the Tanegashima which has a 1/3 chance of summoning a whirlwind), Invisibility, Resistance to Extreme Heat, Cold and Poisons (The Sneaking Suit provides insulation from the environment and protection against toxins), Mind Manipulation (Resisted Gene's attempt to mind control him, scaling from Solid Snake), Radiations (Just like The Boss, he was an atomic-test subject, and as such, resistant to radiations. Suffered no repercussions from the Davy Crocket's radiations), Sleep Inducement (Resists the effect of The End's sleeping darts, which are even more powerful than his own, which are themselves capable of instantly putting people to sleep), Minor Resistance to Precognition (Ursula and Elisa couldn't agree on what his future would be, with their predictions being 100% accurate and never diverging), Enhanced Senses (The sneaking suit prevents him from being detected via thermal scanner), Extreme Pain Tolerance (Withstood Volgin's torture without giving him any information, endured the pain of a heart attack in his old age)
Striking Strength: City Block Class (Defeated Volgin and The Boss)
Durability: City Block level (Withstood an extended, torturous beatdown from Volgin)
Stamina: Extremely high. Big Boss has incredible endurance and is an expert in wilderness survival, going on with little equipment at the beginning of Operation Snake Eater and surviving off of the wildlife for days as he performed his mission shortly after being gravely injured by the Boss. Even after Volgin tortured him to near death, electrocuting him and beating him down for an extended period, Big Boss quickly recovered and continued in his mission, going on to defeat both Volgin and the Boss. Even in his dying moments, as FOXDIE claimed him, he was able to keep on moving when others had instantly died.
Range: Standard melee range, tens of meters to hundreds of meters with weaponry.
Standard Equipment: Many weapons, such as a knife, pistols, rifles, sniper rifles, grenades, mines, C4, and rocket launchers. Other equipment includes a cardboard box, stealth mats, mine detectors, thermal and night vision goggles, and binoculars.
- iDroid: Holographic interface device that provides Snake with live info on the terrain, weather, and position of objectives and marked targets. It also serves as a communication device that keeps Snake in touch with Militaires Sans Frontières' staff, allowing Snake to call-in requests for airstrikes, chopper support, and airdrops to change or re-supply his current equipment.
- Analyzer: Electronic device that allows Snake to analyze the skills and abilities of soldiers he focuses on.
- Fulton Recovery System: Surface-to-air recovery system, it allows Snake to extract supplies, weaponry, vehicles, animals, and people from the area and transport them to Mother Base.
- Sneaking Suit:: A unique military garment made of highly-resistant aramid weave that offers superb damage resistance. It clings tightly to specific parts of the body, speeding up recovery from wounds and increasing the user's endurance. Like other models before it, it provides insulation that protects the body from dangerous substances and allows the user to operate in extreme climates and damp conditions. It also incorporates noise-dampening soles that will enable the user to run without making a sound.
- Camouflages: During Operation Snake Eater, Naked Snake acquired several unique camo uniforms, some of which possessed special abilities.
- Moss: Gained from the End, the Moss Camo is very useful in grassy and forested areas and recharges Snake's stamina so long as he is exposed to light, with sunlight giving the most.
- Spider: Gained from the Fear, the Spider Camo is an early form of stealth camouflage that bends light to render him virtually invisible, making him incredibly difficult to detect, but it does so at the expense of his stamina.
- Spirit: A "gift" from the Sorrow, the Spirit Camo eliminates the sound of Snake's footsteps and allows him to drain the stamina of others while he has them in his grip.
- Soliton Radar: A highly advanced radar system developed by MSF's R&D team. It utilizes electromagnetic waves originating from living beings to map out the location and provide live info of enemy soldiers' position and field of view. It also can detect ghosts.
- Active Sonar: A portable device that uses sound waves to detect nearby objects and beings, making it useful for stealth operations. However, the sound it makes can give Big Boss' position away.
- Anti-personnel Sensor: A small personal device that can detect the heartbeats and electromagnetic fields of nearby lifeforms.
- Sonic Eye: A tool that allows Big Boss to visualize sounds and detect their locations easily.
- Motion Detector: A portable device that can detect nearby moving objects.
- Fake Death Pill: A small potassium cyanide capsule that Big Boss can take to put himself into a deathlike state as a ploy to fool enemies. The revival pill can counteract its effects on one of his teeth, but he will die if he is in the condition for too long.
- Chaff Grenade: An electronic attack device that deploys countless metal strips along with an active jammer to temporarily disable radio communications and electronic equipment such as cameras, radar, missile guidance, and lock-on systems as well as stun AI-controlled weapons and early model Cyborgs
- The Patriot: A distinctive assault rifle specially made for The Boss, which she passed onto her successor upon her death. While it is relatively lightweight, it has a strong recoil and is incredibly challenging to handle. Its internal feed mechanism, shaped like an infinity symbol, has infinite ammunition and can be fired indefinitely without reload.
Intelligence: Genius. It is not for no reason that Big Boss is regarded as the best soldier in the world. Having been trained since a young age in combat, espionage, and survival by the Boss, Big Boss is a genius fluent in many languages and with extensive knowledge in subjects such as psychology. He is exceedingly skilled in CQC, having developed the art alongside the Boss herself. He has used it to disarm and defeat others, ranging from the likes of Volgin to fellow masters of the art, such as Ocelot, Solid Snake, and the Boss herself. He can analyze situations quickly and act intelligently even under pressure, working to heal his injuries while on the battlefield and treating EVA with Para-Medic's guidance, and can expertly lead his nation of Outer Heaven and all its soldiers.
Weaknesses: Big Boss is missing an eye, he's haunted by the memory of his mentor, The Boss