Bartz Klauser is one of the Warriors of Light in Final Fantasy V. A blithe spirit who goes wherever the wind takes him, his aimless wandering comes to an end when he follows a meteorite and rescues Lenna Charlotte Tycoon from a band of goblins. Soon afterward, the pair find an amnesiac old man named Galuf in the meteorite's wreckage. Although he initially wished to resume his wandering, Bartz and his chocobo Boko end up joining Lenna and Galuf on a journey that would eventually decide the fate of the world.
Powers and Stats
Tier: High 6-A | 2-C | 2-C, possibly 2-A | 2-A | 2-C
Name: Bartz Klauser
Origin: Final Fantasy V
Classification: Human, Wanderer, Warrior of Light, Bearer of the Wind Crystal
Powers and Abilities:
Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Weapon Mastery (Has continually shown to be a master of various styles and jobs. Has mastery of weapons including Swords, Spears, Axes, Scythes, Hammers, Daggers, Short Swords, Throwing Weapons, Rods, Staves, Bows, Whips, Knight Swords, and many more), Martial Arts, Regeneration (At least Mid-Low, likely higher), Accelerated Development (Able to master the many jobs of the Crystals in a short time, even mastering them mid-battle as shown in Dissidia NT), Empowerment (Via the Crystal Shards, which gives him all the abilities of The Crystals), Air Manipulation, Non-Physical Interaction (Can harm intangible beings such as Liquiflame and Ghosts), Soul Manipulation (Capable of damaging and killing ghosts as well as affecting them with ailments), Resistance to Subjective Reality, Magic (Can take hits from, and sometimes outright nullify magic), Soul Manipulation (The warriors of light could forcibly pull their soul back into their body after coming to their senses during the Siren fight, and during the battle she was unable to take their souls), Absolute Zero (Survived attacks from Shiva), Hellfire Manipulation (Can withstand Ifrit's flames, and did so in order to acquire him as a summon)
Same as before, plus Stealth Mastery (The warriors of light have shown the ability to sneak up and eavesdrop on people undetected, as well as sneak past Exdeath's Guards), Resistance to BFR, Gravity Manipulation, Matter Manipulation (Can fight Atomos, who has power over gravity and crushes foes on a molecular level before pulling them into another dimension)
Same as before, plus vastly improved Non-Physical Interaction (Can hit Neo-Exdeath, a non-existent being), Resistance to Void Manipulation (Survived being within the void for an extended period of time), Spatial Manipulation and Time Manipulation (Fought through the Interdimensional Rift. The Sealed Cave alone was passively twisting space and time due to being near the rift), Time Stop (Unaffected by the Rift's effects of freezing time in the Phantom Village), Perception Manipulation (Can withstand being in the Void with no ill effects), Corruption (Can survive contact with the Void without being corrupted), Existence Erasure (Unaffected by the erasure of the Interdimensional Rift), Reality Warping, Chaos Manipulation, Law Manipulation (Unaffected by Neo Exdeath throwing the laws of reality into chaos), Radiation Manipulation, Matter Manipulation (Can withstand having Flare cast on them), Heat Manipulation (Can withstand the atomic ray cast by Bahamut), Empathic Manipulation (Can resist the effects of Tonberries)
Statistics Amplification, Death Manipulation (Via the Death Sickle), Damage Boost (The Ogre Killer deals extra damage to giants, the Gaia Hammer increases the power of earth magic, and spears double the power of the jump command), Poison Manipulation (Via the Poison Axe), Sound Manipulation (Can attack with sound using bells and harps), Durability Negation (Many weapons ignore physical durability and instead rely on magic resistance), Energy Projection (Rods use magical energy to attack), Fire Manipulation (Various fire-elemental weapons. Can cast Firaga with the fire rod), Ice Manipulation (Various ice-elemental weapons. Can cast Blizzaga with the ice rod), Electricity Manipulation (Various thunder-elemental weapons. Can cast Thundaga with the thunder rod), Air Manipulation (With the Wind Spear), Water Manipulation (Can summon waterfalls with the Water Scroll), Earth Manipulation, Vibration Manipulation (With the Gaia Hammer. Can also create earthquakes), Power Nullification (The Mage Masher inflicts silence on enemies, causing them to be unable to cast magic), Instinctive Reaction (The Main Gauche automatically blocks attacks aimed at its wielder), Paralysis Inducement (Whips paralyze foes with their lashes), Age Manipulation (The Ancient Sword turns foes old upon a strike), Empathic Manipulation (The Lamia's Tiara increases one's ability to flirt), Resistance to Physical and Magical attacks (Armor protects the user from physical attacks and grants magic resistance), Subjective Reality, Madness Manipulation (The Lamia's Tiara grants resistance to confusion), Power Nullification (The Sage's Surplice grants resistance to Silence), All Status Effects (Including Old, Death, Petrification, Poison, Darkness, Silence, and Berserk, with the Ribbon)
Same as before, plus Sleep Manipulation (With the Dream Harp), Blood Manipulation, Absorption (Via the Blood Sword), Soul Manipulation (The Dancing Dagger is infused with the soul of a dancer), Holy Manipulation (Via the Staff of Light), Sleep Manipulation (Via the Sleep Blade), Absorption of Fire and Ice (With the Fire Shield and Ice Shield) as well as general Magic (The Aegis Shield sometimes completely absorbs magic spells), Resistance to Electricity Manipulation (Diamond Equipment halves damage from lightning), Madness Manipulation, Empathic Manipulation, Morality Manipulation, Transmutation, Size Manipulation, Paralysis Inducement (Via Genji Equipment, which protects the wearer from Confusion, Toad, Mini, and Paralysis), and Petrification (The Aegis Shield protects the user from Petrification)
Same as before, plus Sealing (The Sealed Weapons were able to seal Enuo in the Void), Resurrection (Sage's Staff casts Raise when used as an item), Instinctive Reaction (Sasuke's Katana can automatically block attacks), Damage Boost (The Rune Axe and other weapons can consume the user's MP to gain a greater attack, and the Sage's Staff and Apollo's Harp deal greater damage to undead), Power Nullification (The Judgement staff casts dispel when used as an item)
Same as before, plus Madness Manipulation, Morality Manipulation (The Fairy's Bow confuses foes on a hit), Time Stop (The Kagenui sometimes stops enemies), Energy Manipulation (Ultima Weapon is a blade of energy), Resistance to Elemental Manipulation (Of the Fire, Ice, Lightning, Water, Wind, Earth, Holy, and Poison varieties, with the Force Shield [That grants complete immunity to the eight elements] and other equipment)
Subjective Reality (Magic, in its basest form, is projecting one's inner mind onto reality, and is powered by intelligence and mental strength), Durability Reduction (Magic ignores durability to physical attacks, requiring specific resistances to reduce the damage of), Forcefield Negation, and Intangibility (Magic negates conventional physical durability, barriers, and armor, requiring specific defense against magic which is powered by the Mind and Spirit), Power Modification (Including Duplication, Fusionism, Statistics Amplification, Size Manipulation, Homing Attack, Danmaku, Aura, Breath Attack, and Energy Manipulation; Magic users across the games have consistently shown the ability to manipulate the shape and properties of their own magical abilities, with even higher tiers of spells simply being considered stronger versions of the same basic ability)
- White: Healing (Via Cure and Cura), Information Analysis (Can scan an opponent with Libra), Purification (Capable of curing poison with Poisona, and other status effects with Esuna), Resurrection (Can revive foes using Raise), Forcefield Creation (Against Physical Attacks, with Protect), Status Effect Inducement in the form of Power Nullification (Can cast Silence, which prevents a foe from using magic), Size Manipulation (Can shrink foes with Mini), Madness Manipulation, and Morality Manipulation (Can cast confuse, which turns foes on their allies)
- Black: Fire Manipulation (Via Fire and Fira), Ice Manipulation (Via Blizzard and Blizzara), Electricity Manipulation (Via Thunder and Thundara), Status Effect Inducement in the form of Poison Manipulation (Can inflict poison), Transmutation (Into a toad, via toad), and Sleep Manipulation (Via Sleepel)
- Blue: Martial Arts, Damage Boost (Goblin Punch increases drastically in power if the user and their opponent are on a similar level), Air Manipulation (Via Aero and Aera), Blood Manipulation, Absorption (Via Blood Suck), Sound Manipulation and Transmutation (Into a toad, via Pond's Chorus), Durability Negation, Damage Transferal (???? inflicts damage equivalent to the user's current damage and wounds), Light Manipulation, Status Effect Inducement (Flash is a bright flash of light that blinds opponents), Self-Destruction, Explosion Manipulation (Via Self-Destruct), Life Manipulation, Paralysis Inducement (Death Claw reduces the opponent to their last legs and paralyzes them), Breath Attack, Water Manipulation (Via Aqua Breath), Fusionism (Fusionism allows the user to merge with an ally, fully healing them at the cost of their own life), Technology Manipulation, Homing Attack (Missile fires a homing missile that reduces the foe to a quarter of their current life), Fire Manipulation (Via Flamethrower), Death Manipulation (Level 5 Death instantly kills opponents whose "level" is a multiple of five), Berserk Mode, Statistics Amplification (Moon Flute drives those who hear it berserk, increasing their strength but rendering them unable to fight rationally), Statistics Reduction (Guard Off lowers the enemy's defense. Dark Shock lowers an enemy's level, reducing their experience and skill alongside all of their statistics), Energy Manipulation (Magic Hammer attacks the enemy's mana directly, depleting their energy stores), Healing (White Wind heals the user by an amount equivalent to their current health), Danmaku (1000 needles attacks with 1000 projectiles that ignore defense), Gravity Manipulation (Level 4 Graviga crushes the foe with gravity wells, lowering thelr health to a quarter of its current value)
- Summon: Summoning (Summoners are capable of calling upon various monsters to fight for them), Absorption, Life Manipulation (Sylphs absorb life from an enemy and split it equally among the caster and their allies), Paralysis Inducement (Remoras latch onto the foe, paralyzing them. When summoned as a boss, Ifrit is capable of paralyzing enemies), Hellfire Manipulation, Heat Manipulation (Ifrit, when summoned, covers the enemies in his hellfire), Absolute Zero Ice Manipulation (Can summon Shiva, whose ice reaches these temperatures and can cast spells such as Blizzara), Electricity Manipulation (Ramuh's judgement bolt summons a giant blast of electricity to hit all enemies, and he has also demonstrated abilities such as Electrocute and Thundara), Size Manipulation, Absorption of Mana, Light Manipulation, Status Effect Inducement in the form of Blindness (Ramuh, as a boss, displays the ability to cast Mini, Flash, and Osmose), Earth Manipulation, Vibration Manipulation (Titan is capable of creating earthquakes using Earth Shaker),
- Time: Spatial Manipulation (Time Mages utilize Time and Space in their magic), Statistics Amplification (Speed doubles the target's agility, letting them utilize actions twice as often), Time Manipulation (In the form of slowing down and speeding up time), Time Stop (Stop stops the passage of time for one foe), Gravity Manipulation (Gravity crushes the foe in a gravity well that halves their HP), Power Nullification (Mute prevents all enemies and allies from using magic of any kind, and cannot be cured by methods that would normally cure silence), Regeneration (Can hasten the target's natural regeneration rate with regen)
- Song: Sound Manipulation (Bardsongs work through singing), Regeneration (Mighty March bestows the regeneration status), Empathic Manipulation, Madness Manipulation, Morality Manipulation (Alluring Air casts confusion, driving enemies insane and bringing them to the user's side)
- Animal: Animal Manipulation, Damage Boost (Bee Swarm damages foes the higher their level is), Healing and Purification (Nightingale heals the party, and can cure blindness and poison. Unicorns can fully heal the party's health and mana), Paralysis Inducement (Flying Squirrel paralyzes foes), Durability Negation (Summoning a falcon damages foes equal to a quarter of their current health), Fragrance Manipulation, Perception Manipulation, Poison Manipulation (Skunks blind and poison all foes)
- Gaia: Plant Manipulation, Statistics Reduction (Bindweed slows foes by tangling them up), Air Manipulation (Can attack with wind in various environments), Perception Manipulation (Leaf Dance inflicts air-elemental damage with a gale of wind, and blinds foes), Earth Manipulation, Sand Manipulation (When in a desert, Geomancers can manipulate sand), Weather Manipulation, Durability Negation (Various different geomancies reduce the foe's life to a single sliver), Sealing (Quicksand and Bottomless Bog inflict instant death by entombing the foe in the ground), Water Manipulation (While near beaches or oceans, or near places where the essence of water is strong, Geomancers can manipulate water), Poison Manipulation (Can summon poisonous gas in swamplands or pyramids), Sound Manipulation (Can attack with a sonic boom), Vibration Manipulation (Can cause earthquakes), Death Manipulation (Can instantly kill a foe with Phantom), Fire Manipulation (Can attack with will-o-wisps)
- Mixes: Unholy Manipulation (Dark Matter cancels out with Holy Water), Self-Destruction, Healing, Purification of status effects (Including Poison, Darkness, Mini, Toad, Silence, Confusion, Paralysis, Sleep, Old, Berserk, Slow, Stop, Sap, Zombification, and Petrification), Resurrection, Transformation (Can make a target Draconic and "Heavy", granting them immunity to most status effects but vulnerable to anti-dragon weapons), Regeneration, Statistics Amplification (Of one's level, which includes all statistics), Forcefield Creation (Including Attack Reflection), Regeneration, Berserk Mode, Time Manipulation (In the form of speeding up, slowing down, and stopping), Afterimage Creation, Life Manipulation (Can double a target's maximum life), Flight, Damage Boost (Can increase the damage of all elements), Darkness Manipulation (Can reduce a foe's HP to a quarter of its current value with Dark Ether), Transmutation into a toad, Empathic Manipulation, Madness Manipulation, Morality Manipulation, Statistics Reduction (Can lower a foe's defense and magic defense), Perception Manipulation, Life Manipulation (In the form of Sap. Can reduce an enemy's HP to the single digits), Death Manipulation, Breath Attack (Including Holy Manipulation [Holy Breath deals damage equal to the user's current health], Fire Manipulation, Ice Manipulation, Electricity Manipulation, and Darkness Manipulation), Explosion Manipulation, Matter Manipulation, Resistance Negation (Shadow Flare ignores a target's magic defense), Absorption of Life and Magic (Both directly from the foe, and of elements, including Fire, Ice, and Thunder), Resistance to Poison Manipulation, Fire Manipulation, Ice Manipulation, and Electricity Manipulation
Instinctive Reaction (Via Cover, Counter, and Shirahadori), Attack Negation (Guard allows the user to negate one physical attack), Enhanced Senses (Via Vigilance and Find Passages), Statistics Amplification (Via Sprint, Focus, Etc.), Healing and Purification (Chakra uses healing energies to restore the user's HP and cure poison and darkness), Information Analysis (Scan analyzes an enemy for their HP, level, weaknesses, and current conditions), Magic (Various types of magic), Summoning (Call summons a random monster with no MP cost), Berserk Mode (Via Berserk), Forcefield Creation (Magic Shell casts Shell when the user's HP is low), Animal Manipulation (Calm allows the user to tame an animal and stop them from attacking, and Animals allows him to call woodland creatures to attack), Sealing (Capture seals enemies into gourds for later use), Body Puppetry (Control takes over an enemy, allowing the user to control their actions), Smoke Manipulation (Smoke throws down a Smoke bomb to escape enemies), Afterimage Creation (Image creates illusions to absorb two direct attacks), Sound Manipulation (Sing allows the user to perform songs with various magical effects), Absorption (Lance attacks the foe with a phantasmal dragon that absorbs their HP and MP to restore the user's own stores), Empathic Manipulation (Flirt charms enemies to make them forget about attacking), Paralysis Inducement (Minenuchi is an attack that inflicts paralysis with the flat of one's blade), Death Manipulation (Iainuki is an attack that inflicts Instant Death), Resurrection (Revive resurrects a fallen ally with no MP cost), Reactive Evolution and Power Mimicry (A Blue Mage can gain powers by being struck by them)
Same as before
Same as before, plus Power Mimicry (Mimic allow the user to perfectly copy an enemy ability, even those inherent to the original user. This includes specific martial arts and weapon techniques), Weapon Creation (With mimic, the user can create perfect copies of the target's weaponry and equipment, Fusionism (Can mix ingredients and items to produce new ones. As a mimic, can also combine martial techniques and magic and physically merge multiple weapons together to combine their abilities), Precognition (Read Ahead, Condemn, and Predict all allow the user to predict the future with high accuracy), Elemental Manipulation (Via Finisher, which attacks with the user's inherent element), Can attack all foes at once with Bladeblitz, Status Effect Inducement (Open Fire can inflict Poison, Blindness, Confusion, and Instant Death), Immortality Negation (Type 7; Open Fire's Instant Death ignores the undead's normal immunity), Can mix and match different types of explosives for various Elemental attacks
Same as before, plus Necromancy (Oath calls upon the undead to perform attacks), Immortality (Type 7, the Undead ability of the necromancer makes the user Undead), Resistance to Absorption and Death Manipulation (Necromancer's undead status inverts damage absorption and instant death spells to heal the target)
Same as before, plus vastly enhanced Weapon Mastery and Martial Arts (As a warrior of the cycle, Bartz has experience fighting alongside and against various other characters such as Cloud Strife, Sephiroth, Zidane Tribal, Tidus, Firion, Lightning Farron, and many more, and has not only matched pace with them but mimicked their techniques as well), Light Manipulation and Homing Attack (Via Luminous Shard), Energy Manipulation (Via Ragnarok Blade), Gravity Manipulation and Darkness Manipulation (Via Soul Eater)
Attack Potency: Multi-Continent level (While only possessing shards from one of the four crystals, can defeat the esper Shiva, who is comparable to Ifrit) | Low Multiverse level (Fought an eight-armed Gilgamesh and Exdeath. At this point should be far superior to Galuf, who could overpower one of the Crystals) | Low Multiverse level (Far stronger than before. Defeated the demons of the rift), possibly Multiverse level+ (Defeated Neo Exdeath) | Multiverse level+ (Defeated Enuo and the other demons of the Sealed Cave) | Low Multiverse level (Borrows powers from the gods of the cycle. Contributed to the defeat of the Planesgorgers and Shinryu)
Speed: Massively Hypersonic (Can dodge lightning magic) | Massively FTL+ (Kept pace with Base and, to a lesser extent, transformed Gilgamesh) | At least Massively FTL+ (Fought and defeated Bahamut and the Demons of the Rift, as well as defeating Neo Exdeath within the void. Can cast Meteor, which is this fast) | At least Massively FTL+ (Defeated Enuo while the latter was in the void) | Massively FTL+ (Kept pace with Shinryu)
Striking Strength: Multi-Continent Class | Low Multiversal | Low Multiversal, possibly Multiversal+ | Low Multiversal
Durability: Multi-Continent level (While only possessing shards from a few of the crystals, can survive attacks from the likes of Ifrit and Shiva) | Low Multiverse level (Withstood torture from the four Crystals. Comparable to Galuf, who overpowered one of them) | Low Multiverse level (Far stronger than before. Defeated the demons of the rift), possibly Multiverse level+ (Defeated Neo Exdeath) | Multiverse level+ (Defeated Enuo and the other demons of the Sealed Cave) | Low Multiverse level (Borrows powers from the gods of the cycle. Contributed to the defeat of the Planesgorgers and Shinryu)
Stamina: Very High. Has fought through entire battalions of monsters comparable to himself. Ventured through the Interdimensional Rift and defeated all of its denizens in a long gauntlet, facing off against Exdeath at the end. Can travel across entire continents while fighting without resting
Range: Extended Melee to Dozens of Meters with Weaponry. Thousands of Kilometers to Planetary with magic and summons (Capable of summoning creatures such as Leviathan and Bahamut, who have displayed this range), Interdimensional with Banish (Can banish foes to the Interdimensional Rift)
Standard Equipment: The shards of the Wind, Water, Fire, and Earth crystals. An immense variety of different weapons and armor | Same as before, with more weaponry and armor | Same as before, plus the Mimic, Oracle, Gladiator, and Cannoneer shards, the twelve sealed weapons, and various other new equipment | Same as before, plus extremely powerful equipment from the Sealed Cave that rivals and exceeds the twelve sealed weapons, and the Necromancer shard
- Sealed Weapons: The 12 known weapons that Bartz canonically possesses. These 12 weapons were used thousands of years ago to seal the wizard Enuo into the void, and are the only things canonically capable of defeating Exdeath when he was wielding the power of the void. Discounting the items added in subsequent releases of the game, they are the most powerful weapons that Bartz can wield.
- Excalibur: The Sealed Sword, a holy-elemental blade which increases Bartz's strength when wielded.
- Masamune: The Sealed Katana, which causes Bartz to always get the first attack in battle. It has an increased chance to inflict critical hits, and casts Haste when used as an item.
- Rune Axe: The Sealed Axe, which raises Bartz's magic when wielded and can draw upon Bartz' MP to deal an automatic critical hit.
- Apollo's Harp: The Sealed Harp, which ignores the defenses of enemies and instead targets their magic defenses. It deals eight times the normal damage to undead and draconic beings.
- Yoichi's Bow: The Sealed Bow, which raises Bartz's strength and speed when wielded. It has an increased chance to inflict critical hits.
- Assassin's Dagger: The Sealed Dagger, which increases Bartz's speed when wielded and has a 25% chance to instantly kill the target when it strikes.
- Sasuke's Katana: The Sealed Short Sword, which increases Bartz's speed when wielded and has a 25% chance to automatically nullify physical attacks.
- Fire Lash: The Sealed Whip, a fire-elemental weapon which increases Bartz's strength and speed when wielded and has a 33% chance to cast Firaga every time it attacks.
- Gaia's Bell: The Sealed Bell, an earth-elemental weapon which increases the power of earth-elemental attacks and has a 25% chance to cast Quake every time it attacks.
- Holy Lance: The Sealed Lance, a holy-elemental weapon which increases Bartz's strength when wielded.
- Sage's Staff: The Sealed Staff, which increases the power of holy-elemental attacks, casts Raise when used as an item, and deals double damage to the undead.
- Magus Rod: The Sealed Rod, which is Fire, Ice, and Thunder-elemental. It increases the power of all elemental spells, except for holy-elemental ones.
- Brave Blade: A powerful sword that is his main weapon in the Dissidia Final Fantasy games. It boasts more damage than almost any other weapon, but its strength will permanently decrease by a small amount every time he runs from a fight.
- Fuma Shuriken: A large shuriken made for ninja, that can be used with the throw command. It inflicts more damage than his melee attacks tend to.
- Scrolls: Three different types of scrolls that can be used with the throw command. They summon elemental storms that inflict fire, thunder, and water damage respectively.
- Ultima Weapon: A powerful sword guarded by Neo Shinryu, said to hold the power of destruction. Though it boasts no special properties, it is by far Bartz's strongest weapon in terms of sheer damage.
- Genji Armor: The most powerful armor that Bartz can collect, made up of: The Genji Helmet, which protects the user from mini and confusion, the Genji Armor, which protects against toad and confusion, the Genji Shield, which protects against paralysis, and the Genji Gloves, which protect against paralysis and toad.
- Force Shield: A heavy cross-shaped shield that forms a forcefield of energy in front of it. It is Bartz's strongest shield by far and provides complete immunity to all the elements, including Fire, Ice, Water, Lightning, Earth, Wind, Holy, and Poison.
- Ribbon: A simple ribbon, that protects the user against all status effects in his game, including Old, Death, Petrification, Toad, Berserk, Silence, Poison, and Blindness.
Intelligence: As the son of Dorgann, one of the Warriors of Dawn who saved the world in ages past, Bartz quickly proved himself to be naturally talented in combat, mastering the myriad techniques of the various jobs provided by the crystals, being able to switch between them at will and learning how to synergize them to devastating effects and mastering any number of weapons. He has become particularly associated with the Mime job, being a master of combining the attacks he sees with those he already knows to use his foes' strengths against them. Having been on his own for much of his life, Bartz is a voice of reason among the party due to his grounded perspective, often taking charge as a leader who has navigated his friends out of many tight situations. His combat skill is worth noting; against Thancred, despite having a disadvantage at first, Bartz developed in skill by mimicking Thancred's fighting style and tailoring his own style to defeat his opponent perfectly to the point where he thought Thancred was holding back after his victory and Thancred himself admitted he no longer stood a chance against him.
Weaknesses: Possesses a fear of heights, though he later overcame it. Limited MP, and requires consumable items to recover it | Limited MP, though he can recover it easily with a variety of sources | Limited MP, though he can recover it easily with a variety of sources | Limited MP, though he can recover it easily with a variety of sources. The Undead physiology he can gain from necromancy also gives him susceptibility to healing spells.
Note 1: This profile assumes mastery of all jobs and collection of all equipment.
Note 2: Due to the nature of Geomancy, the location of the fight should be specified when making a Versus Thread.
Notable Attacks and Techniques:
Knight: Valiant warriors who protect allies low on HP.
- Cover: Passively takes hits from allies who are low on HP regardless of class, at Bartz's own risk.
- Guard: Bartz can completely absorb a direct physical attack, nullifying its damage even against enemies strong enough to one-shot him.
- Two-Handed: Allows Bartz to wield almost any weapon two-handed, sacrificing the use of shields for greater attack power.
- Equip Shields: Lets Bartz equip shields, regardless of what job class he is.
- Equip Armor: Lets Bartz wear heavy armor, regardless of what job class he is.
- Equip Swords: Lets Bartz equip swords, regardless of what job class he is.
Monk: Masters of hand-to-hand combat who intuitively counterattack.
- Focus: Bartz focuses his energies to deal out a hit with twice the attack power.
- Barehanded: Grants Bartz the same strength barehanded that a monk would have, regardless of class.
- Chakra: Healing energies recover Bartz's HP, clearing his body of poison and blindness.
- Counter: Automatically counters attacks when hit.
- HP +30%: Increases Bartz's maximum vitality.
Thief: Expert bandits who espy secret passages and foil back attacks.
- Find Passages: Enhances Bartz's senses, allowing him to detect hidden passages.
- Flee: Instantly escapes from a battle.
- Sprint: Doubles Bartz's speed, allowing him to run twice as fast.
- Steal: Steals items and treasure from an enemy, adding them to Bartz's stock.
- Vigilance: A passive ability that prevents back attacks.
- Mug: An upgrade to the steal ability, allowing Bartz to attack and steal at the same time.
- Artful Dodger: Passively gains the same speed and agility as a thief, regardless of class.
Blue Mage: Mages with the ability to learn monsters' special attacks.
- Check: Allows Bartz to view an enemy's HP.
- Learning: A passive ability that lets Bartz learn abilities he is hit with.
- Blue Magic: Allows Bartz to cast blue magic, spells learned by being hit with enemy abilities.
- Scan: Scans an enemy, seeing their level, HP, weaknesses, and current condition.
White Mage: Priests who use white magic to heal and protect allies.
- White Magic: Allows Bartz to cast white magic, spells that focus on healing abilities.
- MP + 10%: Passively increases Bartz's maximum magic stores.
Black Mage: Wizards whose powerful black magic strikes fear into enemies.
- Black Magic: Allows Bartz to cast black magic, spells that focus on inflicting damage.
- MP + 30%: Passively increases Bartz's maximum magic stores.
Mystic Knight: Able to enchant swords, these magical warriors automatically cast Shell when HP is low.
- Spellblade: The signature ability of the Mystic Knight. This allows Bartz to enchant swords with Black Magic, giving his physical attacks the properties of black magic.
- Magic Shell: When Bartz is badly wounded, he will automatically be shielded by shell.
Berserker: Always berserk in battle, these feral warriors sacrifice commands to gain attack strength and power.
- Berserk: Automatically berserks Bartz, causing him to attack wildly in battle but granting him greater attack power.
- Equip Axes: Allows Bartz to equip axes, regardless of job.
Time Mage: Masters of time and space, these mages easily bend all dimension to their will.
- Time Magic: Allows Bartz to cast time magic, spells that bend Time and Space.
- Equip Rods: Allows Bartz to equip rods, regardless of job.
Red Mage: Versatile mages, versed in both black and white magic.
- Red Magic: Allows Bartz to cast Red Magic, giving him limited access to both white and black spells. However, he can only use half of each type, making this magic's use rather limited.
- Dualcast: Bartz can cast two spells at the same time with Dualcast, letting him barrage the enemy with twice the magical power, or split damage and healing into the same turn.
Summoner: Sorcerers with the ability to summon magical beings and harness their power.
- Summon: Allows Bartz to cast summon magic, spells that summon magical beasts for different attacks.
- Call: Summons a random summon that Bartz has access to for no MP cost.
Mime: Skilled mimics who can copy allies' actions perfectly.
- Mimic: Bartz perfectly recreates the last action performed, at no MP cost. This has become Bartz's signature ability in many of his appearances in spinoffs. In the Dissidia Franchise, in particular, it shows that Bartz can not only recreate attacks, but create copies of weapons, attack using innate abilities, and even summon beings that require pacts, such as Yuna's aeons. In addition, it shows that Bartz can recall previously-seen actions even without having to mimic what he sees on the battlefield and even combine them.
Ninja: Stealthy fighters who excel at surprising enemies and can wield two weapons at once.
- Smoke: Using a smoke bomb, escapes from battle and disorients enemies.
- Image: Bartz forms two images of himself to disorient foes, each of which can absorb one attack before dissipating.
- First Strike: Passively increases Bartz's chances of having the first strike.
- Throw: Throws a weapon at an enemy. Though Scrolls and Shuriken are made for this, Bartz can theoretically throw any weapon.
- Dual Wield: Allows Bartz to wield two weapons at once, regardless of class. The only exceptions are bows and harps.
Beastmaster: Trainers whose open hearts and strong wills allow them to capture and control enemy monsters.
- Calm: Calms beasts, stopping them from attacking or taking actions. This does not work on human or mechanical opponents.
- Contol: Takes control of a monster, allowing Bartz to control the entirety of their actions and force them to heal Bartz or attack themselves. Physical attacks can break the control, but magical attacks cannot.
- Equip Whips: Allows Bartz to equip whips, regardless of class.
- Catch: Captures a weakened monster, sealing it within a gourd and later releasing it to have it perform an attack.
Geomancer: Harnessing the power of their surroundings, they easily avoid pits and floors with damaging effects.
- Gaia: Attacks enemies by channeling the terrain into an attack, which costs no MP to use. However, the effects are based on the current terrain.
- Forests: Summons weeds, creates storms of leaves, and fires branch spears.
- Deserts: Summons sandstorms, creates quicksand, and fires burning sand.
- Beaches and Oceans: Summons tsunamis, waterfalls, and whirlpools.
- Swampland: Sinks enemies in a bottomless bog and summons poison mist.
- Plains: Creates earthquakes, summons tornadoes, and manipulates the wind.
- Caves: Causes stalactites to fall and can summon cave-ins.
- Inside: Creates sonic booms and summons purple fire that inflicts confusion.
- Find Pits: Allows Bartz to passively avoid falling pit traps.
- Light Step: Passively avoids damaging floors.
Ranger: Nature-loving archers who can call on local wildlife for aid.
- Animals: Summons wildlife creatures to come to Bartz's aid.
- Aim: A standard attack with perfect accuracy, never missing unless he is blinded.
- Equip Bows: Allows Bartz to equip bows, regardless of class.
- Rapid Fire: One of his most famous job abilities, Bartz attacks four times with his equipped weapon. Each strike is weaker than a normal attack; However, it ignores the durability and evasion of targets.
- Spellblade Dual-Wield Rapid Fire: One of Bartz's most famous combinations, combining the powers of Ranger, Ninja, and Mystic Knight. By infusing dual swords with Flare, Bartz delivers a devastating series of eight strikes to the opponent that possess not only Flare's matter-manipulating properties but the durability negation of Rapid Fire.
Bard: Musicians whose dulcet tones soothe savage beasts... or kill them.
- Hide: Ducks out of sight to avoid attacks.
- Equip harps: Allows Bartz to equip harps, regardless of class.
- Sing: Allows Bartz to perform various magic-enhanced songs.
Dragoon: Dragon knights who specialize in jumping and lance attacks.
- Jump: Leaps into the air, coming back down and dealing twice the damage of a normal attack. Its power is doubled with a spear equipped.
- Lance: Summons a phantasmal lance to strike foes, restoring Bartz's HP and MP.
- Equip Lances: Allows Bartz to equip lances, regardless of class.
Samurai: Master swordsmen whose keen reflexes allow them to intercept and deflect enemy attacks.
- Iainuki: Bartz briefly stops attacking or moving to prepare for a single strike that hits all foes and instantly kills them with a single swipe of his blade.
- Mineuchi: Bartz stuns his foe by slapping them with the flat side of the blade.
- Shihradori: Bartz has the instinctive ability to catch oncoming physical attacks and stop them with his bare hands.
- Zeninage: Bartz tosses money to deal heavy damage to all enemies.
Dancer: Fighters whose smooth moves confuse enemies, leaving blood on the dance floor.
- Dance: Bartz is able to perform any number of dances to suit the situation, including:
- Flirt: Bartz flirts with his opponent, making them forget the reason they were fighting him before falling head over heels for him.
Chemist: Apothecaries who can mix powerful brews, and gain twice the benefit when drinking potions and ethers.
- Pharmacology: Bartz receives twice the benefit from healing items.
- Mix: Mixes two items together to create different items that perform different effects. A full list of mixes can be found here.
- Drink: Drinks special medicines that increase his stats in battle.
- Recover: Heals all status ailments for all allies with no MP cost.
- Revive: Revives a KOed ally to keep fighting with no MP cost.
Gladiator: Skilled Warriors who can master any blade.
- Lure: Passively increases the number of encounter rates.
- Finisher: A powerful strike that attacks an enemy's weak point for massive damage. This attack has a 50% chance to perform a wind-elemental hit that deals 9,999 damage.
- Long Range: Allows Bartz to somehow strike enemies at a distance using melee attacks.
- Bladeblitz: Leaps around the battlefield to strike all enemies.
Oracle: Soothsayers who can predict natural disasters - and direct them at foes.
- Condemn: Condemns enemies to the effects of Natural Disasters.
- Predict: Fortells cataclysms that can affect both enemies and allies.
- ABP Up: Increases the rate at which Bartz masters abilities.
- Read Ahead: Through precognition, avoids enemy encounters.
Cannoneer: Tinkerers with the know-how to combine items into weapons both beautiful and destructive.
- Open Fire: Opens fire with their cannon, inflicting random status effects including Poison, Darkness, Confusion, and Instant Death. These effects ignore resistances.
- EXP Up: Increases the rate at which Bartz gains experience.
- Combine: Mix and fire off explosives that damage all enemies. The list of shots Bartz can use are:
- Killer Shot: Deals double damage against humans.
- Dragon Shot: Deals double damage against dragons.
- Normal Shot: A standard attack.
- Flame/Spark/Quake/Water/Divine Shot: Elemental attacks.
- Needle Shot: Fires a swarm of needles that deals fixed damage.
- Dark/Mini/Power/Silver/Slow Shot: Attacks that inflict various status effects.
- Vulner Shot: Lowers the defense of enemies.
- Chaos Shot: Inflicts Poison, and may inflict Confusion and Instant Death.
Necromancer: Dark wizards who are masters of the undead, and have no fear of the Dark Arts. This is the final class that Bartz can attain, and is only unlocked after defeating Enuo.
- Oath: Calls forth an undead to fight for Bartz.
- Dark Arts: Magic spells that cause a variety of dark effects.
- Undead: Turns Bartz into an undead. This causes healing items to damage bartz, while Death-based attacks and draining attacks heal him.
- Bio: Bartz fills the area with noxious, poisonous gas bubbles that deal damage on contact and rapidly drain his foes of their fighting strength and health.
- Blizzaga: Bartz causes massive shards of ice to erupt all around the battlefield, dealing heavy ice-elemental damage.
- Break: Bartz instantly turns his foe to stone.
- Death: Bartz instantly kills his foe.
- Drain: Bartz drains the physical health of his foe to restore his own. However, this backfires against the undead, instead reversing the process.
- Firaga: Bartz creates a series of spontaneous explosions that deal heavy fire-elemental damage.
- Flare: The most powerful Black Magic spell, it triggers a nuclear explosion at Bartz's targeting location, dealing massive non-elemental damage.
- Osmose: Bartz drains his foe's magical energy to restore his own. This spell will backfire and be reversed if used against the undead.
- Poison: Bartz poisons his foe.
- Sleep: Bartz puts his foe to sleep, leaving them vulnerable.
- Thundaga: Bartz calls down a barrage of lightning bolts at his target's location to deal heavy lightning-elemental damage.
- Toad: Bartz turns his foe into a powerless toad without the ability to cast magic or use special techniques or abilities. Alternatively, he can use the spell on an ally to cure them of similar afflictions.
Alluring Air: Bartz plays an alluring song that turns all of his foes against each other.
- Hero's Rime: Bartz plays a rhyming song that elevates his natural stats to their absolute maximum for the duration of a battle.
- Mana's Paean: Bartz sings a triumphant song that boosts his magical power and that of his allies.
- Mighty March: Bartz plays a marching tune that increases his regeneration rate and that of his allies.
- Requiem: Bartz plays a mourning song that exorcises the undead.
- Romeo's Ballad: Bartz sings a love ballad that freezes his opponents in time.
- Sinewy Etude: Bartz sings a tune that increases his physical strength as well as that of his allies.
- Swift Song: Bartz sings a song that increases the speed of all of his allies.
Key: Bartz's World | Galuf's World | Merged World | Sealed Cave | Dissidia