|“||What are you, stupid?||„|
Asuka Langley Sohryu (惣流・アスカ・ラングレー, "Sōryū Asuka Rangurē") is a 14 years old fictional character from the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise and one of the female main characters. Asuka is designated as the Second Children of the Evangelion Project and pilots the Evangelion Unit-02.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 10-B | 7-A | Low 5-B
Name: Asuka Langley Sohryu, Second Children
Origin: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Age: 14 (born December 4, 2001 (Sagittarius))
Classification: Human, EVA Pilot
Powers and Abilities:
Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Forcefield Creation (A.T. Fields can be used both defensively and offensively, such as in the form of optic blasts), Large Size (Type 1-2), Immortality (Type 1 [The Eva will exist long after humanity is gone, even after 5 billion years when the sun is gone the Eva will still exist, and is called eternal] & 3), Regeneration (Mid-Low; Unit-01 regenerated a broken arm, likely Low-High over time; like an angel, an Evangelion should be able to regenerate from its core alone given enough time), Enhanced Senses, Gamma Ray Photons (with Positron Cannon), Explosion Manipulation, Weapon Mastery, Spike Projection, CQC, Acrobatics, Berserk Mode, Resistance to extreme Heat, Pressure and Magma (with D-Type Equipment)
Attack Potency: Human level | Mountain level (Capable of fighting against Angels that can damage it and briefly matching Unit-01 when under Kaworu's control) | Small Planet level (Scaling from the Spear of Longinus)
Speed: Average Human | Supersonic movement speed (Comparable to EVA Unit-01) with Hypersonic+ combat speed and Relativistic reactions (Reacted to and blocked a perfect replica of the Spear of Longinus. Able to keep pace with Angels, who are capable of dodging Mach 14+ rounds from the Pallet Gun) | Supersonic movement speed with Hypersonic+ combat speed and Relativistic reactions
Lifting Strength: Average Human | Class G (Comparable to Unit-01) | At least Class G
Striking Strength: Human Class | Mountain Class | Small Planet Class
Stamina: Average Human | Essentially indefinite when it has its Umbilical Cable connected, has 5 minutes internal battery otherwise and longer with extra batter packs. Much higher in berserk mode as it can run without a power source as it contains a soul
- Plugsuit 02: Form-fitting full body suits resembling a diver's wet suit, worn by Eva pilots together with their Interface Headsets in order to increase their synchronization with the Evangelions. 02 Follows the standard single color scheme for the female plug suit and is red with a lime green patch on the chest.
Although helpful, plugsuits do not appear to be essential to pilot an Eva, as there have a few occasions when Shinji piloted without one. It is stated, however, that a plugsuit increases the pilot's synchronization ratio by cutting down on interference.
- Interface Headset: A small device, worn when piloting an Evangelion unit.
- Progressive Knife: A combat knife contained inside the left shoulder pylon of an Evangelion who uses it, and is one of the Evas' basic weapons. The blade of the knife vibrates at an extremely high frequency, increasing its cutting sharpness to the point that it can cut through the target at a molecular level. It is strong enough to pierce an Angel's core with little trouble.
- Pallet Rifle: Sometimes alternatively called Pallet Gun, it is the standard-issue rifle used by Evangelion units. It resembles a Steyr ACR. This giant automatic rifle is proportionately sized to match the Evas, so an Eva can wield the rifle just as a human would use a conventional assault rifle.
- Sonic Glaive: A spear-like weapon used to slice Israfel in half in Episode 09. It also appears in Episode 19, but isn't used. In real life, a glaive is a spear shaft containing a knife at the end rather than a spearhead. This may mean it's based on the same engineering as a Progressive Knife, but with an extended range.
- Smash Hawk: An axe-like weapon, being able to be held with either one or two hands. Unit-02 sortied with it in Episode 16, but doesn't use it in combat against an Angel. Also maybe based on the Progressive Knife engineering, utilizing sonic vibrations to strengthen the sharpness of the blade with it being of a shorter length than the "Sonic Glaive" spear, but containing a wider blade for greater damage.
- Bazooka: Unit-02 sortied with; not used.
- Hand Bazooka: Also called "Launcher Gun", used against Zeruel, dual-wielded; ineffective.
- Positron Rifle (Prototype 20 with toroidal accelerator): Shoulder-mounted (the shoulder pylon of the equipped arm is extracted). Can fire rounds into low Earth-orbit, though the power of the shots lowers to being ineffective from a long range. Not a very mobile weapon either since it requires an external power cable to power its function. It still uses a finite amount of ammunition, about 8 rounds.
- Spike Launcher: 7 barrels which can shoot at least 2 volleys of expanding spikes in its right shoulder pylon.
- Various other weapons like scaled up assault rifles and grenade launchers.
- B-Type Equipment: The standard Evangelion armor. It is unsuited for use in combat underwater, or in extreme conditions.
- D-Type Equipment [Heat and Pressure-Resistant Armor]: Used in Episode 10; a giant diving suit filled with coolant tubes which allows an Eva to be lowered into the magma of an active volcano, serving to protect it from extreme heat and pressure. The shoulder pylons are removed in this configuration. Used in conjunction with a pressurized plugsuit for the pilot.
- F-Type Equipment [Airborne Warfare]: It is the equipment used to transport the Evangelion units.
- Umbilical Cable: The electrical power cables used to link Evangelions in the field to external power supplies in Tokyo-3. The connectors attaching to the rear of an Evangelion are visually similar to a three-point plug. Two large holes in the connector allow a retro-rocket to slow its descent and prevent damage when it is discarded. Tokyo-3 has a multitude of power buildings that house connectors and cable for an Evangelion to switch to a new cable, in case the old cable has reached its maximum length or been severed.
- Internal Batteries: Functions as an emergency power pack in cases where the Umbilical Cable would be impractical to use, or if it has been disconnected/severed. The batteries are mentioned in-show to provide power for five minutes, or one minute at full power. Battery supplies can be extended without the umbilical cable, using large disposable batteries located on the Eva's shoulder pylons. These provide an unspecified extra operating time and are used in the battles against Israfel and Matarael.
- Optional Equipment:
- Double-edged sword: Sword dropped by Unit-07 used to slash Unit-06, severe the abdomen of Unit-12 to blow off the upper half of the body and cut the left leg of Unit-08.
Intelligence: Gifted; Asuka is considered to be a child prodigy and earned a university degree as a teenager. She can quickly plan and formulate battle plans against unknown foes, although weaknesses below often interfere with this.
Weaknesses: Asuka is emotionally unstable, arrogant, and short-tempered. | An Eva pilot feels everything their Evangelion feels when synchronized with the Eva, experiencing the pain of injuries the Eva sustains. It appears that if an Evangelion is severely damaged enough (even if the Entry Plug containing the pilot is not directly damaged itself), the pilot can indeed die from physical shock. And at an abnormally high synchronization ratio, it appears that pilots will really suffer injuries an Eva suffers. Unit-02 can be easily separated from its Umbilical Cord and only has 5 minutes of internal battery (can somewhat be remedied with extra battery packs). Unknown in berserk mode.
- EVA-02 is covered in approximately 12,000 plates of reinforced armor.
- However, the real purpose of an EVA’s armor is actually to be a limiter to keep the EVAs under control and restrict their power.
- Like All EVAs, EVA-02 is actually a biological being with flesh and organs.
- [WOG] EVAs stand approximately 70-80 meters tall.
- EVA’s are partially controlled using “Personality Transplant OS”, where a person’s personality is implanted into an organic computer for control.
- EVAs also have a soul implanted in them through unknown means.
- The personality/soul that EVA-02 is implanted with is very highly implied to be that of Asuka’s mother.
- [WOG] Synchronization between the pilot and the EVA is what allows the EVA to be controlled and move.
- Alongside EVA-01, kicked the Angel Israfel a considerable distance up a mountain.
- EVA-02 lifted a warship over itself, then threw it.
- Pushed open the EVA docking restraints under its own power.
- EVA-02 threw a similar sized enemy enemy out of a building, then punched through it and into a separate enemy’s chest.
- Was able to pry apart Gaghiel’s jaws, despite being bitten by them.
- EVA-02 was evenly matched in strength against EVA-01.
- EVA-01 RT for scaling.
- AT Fields are the barriers between the minds/souls of living organisms in Evangelion. All sentient beings possess AT Fields but Angels and Evangelions are capable of manifesting their AT Fields to affect reality, primarily to defend from attacks, neutralize other AT Fields, and on a few occasions using the AT Field itself as a weapon.
- Blocked rocket fire and destroyed helicopters using its AT field.
- EVA-02 used its AT field to block a thrown piercing projectile as large as EVA-02.
- Along with the other EVAs, EVA-02 halted the angel Sahaqueil’s fall and pushed it up using their AT fields.
- Summoned a giant pillar of light, which also sprayed water from the lake EVA-02 is in.
- The soul that creates the AT field prevents enemies from possessing the EVA spiritually when connected to the pilot.
- No sold tank fire and helicopter missiles.
- Was unharmed after being tackled by another EVA.
- Tanked multiple depth charges around itself.
- Tanked a point-blank explosion that leveled a mountain.
- No sold being directly hit by two missiles the same size as itself, which then exploded.
- Was unharmed after being thrashed around underwater through buildings by the Angel Gaghiel.
- Was able to pry apart Gaghiel’s jaws, despite being bitten by them.
- Can continue functioning after having both its arms cut off by. Zeruel, although it is stopped when its head is cut off.
- EVA-02 survived and went berserk despite running out of power, having most of its internal organs ripped out, and being stabbed through the head, although it was killed after being stabbed several more times.
- The LCL fluid in the cockpit is supposed to provide a mind barrier and buffer against enemy telepaths, although this is never effectively seen.
- Repeatedly performed back flips to dodge attacks.
- Jumped from ship to ship while at sea.
- Somehow dodged several missiles in mid-air.
- Easily jumped over power lines.
- Reacted to an incoming thrown projectile, then blocked it with the AT field.
- Reacted to and dodged a falling enemy, then parried its attack.
- EVA Units typically have a power cord connected to the city power grid, which allows them to function indefinitely, but if separated have a 5 minutes internal battery.
- However, like EVA-01. EVA-02 can go berserk even after running out of battery, allowing it to try to continue to fight.
- EVAs can apparently endure for at least 5 billion years, if not interfered with.
Built In/Standard Equipment
- Like EVA-01, EVA-02 carries a Progressive Knife in its left shoulder blade.
- [WOG] Progressive Knives emit particles with high frequency vibrations to enhance cutting power.
- The knife was capable of being used in magma without being damaged by the heat.
- EVA-02’s progressive knife has an extendable, box cutter like blade, so that damaged parts can be ejected and replaced.
- In one swing, the prog knife cut off the arm of an another EVA unit.
- In EVA-02’s right shoulder blade are 7 Needle Gun barrels which can shoot at least 2 volleys of expanding spikes.
- The Pallet Rifle, an EVA’s standard ranged weapon, blows through the angel Matarael, after its AT field is removed.
- EVA-02 can also use the Positron Rifle (Prototype 20 with toroidal accelerator).
- The Positron rifle can shoot into low earth orbit, although its power and accuracy are reduced due to the range.
- The positron rifle can quickly fire 7-8 shots, causing massive explosions bigger than buildings.
- Can be given and dual wield various other weapons like scaled up assault rifles and grenade launchers, which all create building sized explosions.
- Shoulder Blades can be given backup batteries to extend the battery life of EVAs by an unknown degree.
- At the start of the story, despite being 14 years old, Asuka has graduated from college with a degree in an unknown field, probably a physical science based on the subject matter she’s discussing.
- In EVA-02, Asuka grappled with an enemy and broke its neck.
- A.T. Field (A.T. = Absolute Terror): The intangible light of the soul in the physical world, A.T. Fields are possessed by all living beings on NGE-Earth and are one of the major aspects of the human psyche that defines someone as "individual" and "protect" them from the intrusion of another's feelings. However, the Evangelion Units and the Angels are unique in the ability to generate A.T. Fields that are corporeal and occasionally visible to the naked eye, possibly due to a large amount of innate energy contained in their souls. Their A.T. Fields mostly function as a physical defense: a forcefield consisting of concentric octagonal yellow lines. The barrier is almost perfect, only being temporarily disrupted from its active state by incredibly energetic weapons (such as military-grade positron beams and "N² Weapons") or erosion by another corporeal "A.T. Field" that is superior in strength. If left alone after initial disruption, the A.T. Field will revive its durability almost instantly as long as the user is still alive, making it a regenerative barrier. The transition from a dormant A.T. Field to an active Field is indicated by a slight atmospheric blurring.
- Continuous fire: Given and dual wields various other weapons like scaled up assault rifles and grenade launchers, which all create building sized explosions.
- Berserk Mode: Refers to a state an Evangelion can enter, in which it has gone beyond humanity's ability to control. While in this state, they display a savage, nearly animalistic battle frenzy in which their strength and capabilities dramatically increase. Some units that possess jaws bolted shut will typically force them open to let out a frightening howl.
Key: Asuka | Evangelion Unit-02 | Fully Synchronised
Note: This profile covers Asuka in the original series.