|“||You people are special... and we got stronger... and made it this far... so we could protect everyone with you. So we could compete and help each other improve! So we could fight together!||„|
|~ Asta to Langris|
|“||In the beginning... I approached you in order to use you. A magicless boy who'd just happened to acquire a five-leaf grimoire that kept magic away. But as I spent all that time with you... As I watched you fight... I began wanting to believe in you. I started to want to bet on you. Please! Win this, Asta!||„|
|~ Secré's plea for Asta to defeat Zagred|
Asta was left at an orphanage as an infant on the outskirts of the Clover Kingdom alongside another baby named Yuno. Excitable and outgoing, he dreams of becoming the Magic Emperor, the greatest mage in the kingdom.
However, Asta is one of the rare few, if not the only one to be born without the ability to use magic, but he refused to let this stop him, and continuously trained his body to compensate before finally being awarded with a grimoire of his own while getting Yuno out of a bind.
Since then, he has joined the Black Bull Squad, a group of the most rowdy and outrageous Magic Knights in the entire kingdom, using the power of his ominous Anti-Magic swords to defend those he cares about and strive towards his dream.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 8-A | 7-B | High 7-A, 6-C with Black Asta | 6-C, higher with Black Asta | 6-C, higher with Black Asta, High 6-C with Black Divider
Origin: Black Clover
Classification: Magic Knight, Black Bulls member, Royal Knights member, Peasant, Devil Host
Powers and Abilities:
- Base: Superhuman Physical Characteristics (Asta possesses an extremely high level of physical strength, he is able to do a thousand single-handed handstand push-ups, swing heavy swords single-handedly with ease, and punch holes in rock walls with no injury to himself), Accelerated Development (Frequently surpasses his own limits during battles, especially against Vetto), Acrobatics, Analytical Prediction (Learned how to use ki and sense it. With ki, Asta has the capacity to predict opponents' next moves by reading their breathing, body movements, glare, life force and current emotional state with all his senses combined), Enhanced Senses (Can read his opponent's emotions), Expert Swordsman (Asta is an adept swordsman and, other the course of the series, he assimilates the skills of the swordsmen he encountered and uses them or adapts them to better fit his own sworsmanship), Extrasensory Perception (Asta can read the opponent's Life-Force), Information Analysis (With Ki, Asta can read his opponents' true intentions and state of mind), Instinctive Reaction (Was able to reflect Magna's fireball after his mind has turned off), Multiple Selves (Type 1 ; Liebe, residing inside Asta's grimoire can take over Asta's body and fight in his place), Reactive Power Level, Social Influencing (Has been repeatedly shown to influence the people around him and change them for the better. Encouraged Luck to fight better. Saved Patry from his insanity), Summoning (Can summon swords out of his grimoire which all are imbued with the power of Anti-Magic) and Resistance to Possession/Mind Control (Resisted Liebe's attempt to take over his mind) and Mind Manipulation (Unaffected by Neige's Snow Magic, which controls the target, despite not having any Magic Power to resist it)
- Anti-Magic Swords: Anti-Magic (Asta uses swords that are imbued of the mysterious Anti-Magic energy, each of them having different shape and abilities. With those swords, he can easily cut through any magic spell with incredible ease regardless of the shape or even the attribute of the spell, he can also nullify magical teleportation by stabbing the sword into the teleporter's general vicinity. They can even nullify Langris' attacks which can erase out of space anything in a certain path. Anyone taking a clean hit from those swords will be unable to use magic, application of Magic Power, for a variable period of time. The more Anti-Magic Asta uses, the more potent his nullification becomes), Attack Reflection (Can reflect a magic spell back with the spine of his swords), Curse Magic Nullification (Nullified a magic bullet curse that had been inflicted on his skin by No.4 Jimmy), Magical Regeneration Negation (Low-Mid; Prevented Vetto from regenerating his wound with Forbidden Magic) as well as Unholy Manipulation (Asta lets the power of a devil flow within him to transform into Black Asta by channelling the Devil Power inside his swords)
- Demon-Slayer: Mental Enchantment Nullification (Can remove Mental Enchantment Magic by tapping the person's head with the guard of Demon-Slayer), Blood Body Puppetry Nullification (Can negate the Witch Queen's Puppet Bloodflow Magic)
- Demon-Dweller: Power Absorption (Has unconsciously absorbed the magic of his allies with Demon-Dweller and used said magic as a projectile, his sword drains the magical power of anything that makes contact with them until they're completely unable to use magic and can send back the absorbed Magic in a much more powerful attack)
- Black Asta: Aura (Emits Anti-Magic in his surroundings), limited Death Manipulation (Withered plants in his surroundings by emanating Anti-Magic), Flight (Has finally gained the ability to fly. However, he automatically homes on extremely large concentration of magic which makes it very hard for him to maneuver. This issue is solved over the course of the series), Passive Anti-Magic (Can nullify magic without his swords by spreading his Anti-Magic around his environment's and has an Anti-Magic ammunition that passively nullifies incoming magic attack's), Limited Magic Homing (with Black Meteorite) and improved versions of his original Anti-Magic abilities. Resistance to Heat Manipulation (Unaffected by the heat of the Yultim Volcano, a Grand Magic Region which can reduce a human to ashes with heat alone. Ran through Spirit Ladros' fire beam without difficulty)
Attack Potency: Multi-City Block level (Defeated Heath Grice) | City level (Made Gauche bleed with a headbutt) | Large Mountain level+ (Stronger than before. Damaged Base Fana), Island level with Black Asta (One-Shot Ladros, who absorbed the Fire Spirit and surpassed its power) | Island level (Punched Evil Eye Raia and sent him flying), Island level+ with Black Asta (Comparable to Spirit Dive Yuno) | Island level (Should be stronger than before), Island level+ with Black Asta (A combined attack with Yuno wounded Zagred's arm. Is able to parry strikes from Dark Elf Patry), Large Island level+ with Black Divider (Killed Zagred by slicing his heart, which remained unscathed by Licht's "Demon-Dweller Sword: Conquering Eon". Can increase its strength by using more Anti-Magic, making it bigger in the process)
Speed: Relativistic (Comparable to Gauche, who could reflect light at these speeds) | Relativistic (Faster than before) | Relativistic+ (Cancelled Fana's attack before she could fire it), higher with Black Asta (The Demon form significantly increases his speed, allowing him to be faster than Ladros who could blitz him previously) | FTL (Faster than Evil Eye Raia. Able to intercept Elemental Quintet when its speed was doubled by Zora, the quadrupled version of it was fast enough to blitz Elf Raia), higher with Black Asta (Faster than before) | At least FTL (Faster than before), higher with Black Asta (Faster than before)
Lifting Strength: Superhuman (Can easily lift and deftly wield his two swords even though they easily weigh down most grown men) | Superhuman (Stronger than before. Was stated by Tabata to be the second physically strongest character in the series so far) | Superhuman (Stronger than before), far higher with Black Asta (Far stronger than his base form) | Superhuman (Stronger than before), far higher with Black Asta (Stronger than before) | Superhuman (Stronger than before), far higher with Black Asta (Stronger than before)
Striking Strength: Multi-City Block Class (Defeated Heath with a sword slash) | City Class (Harmed Gauche with a headbutt) | Large Mountain Class+ (Damaged Fana with a slash), Island Class with Black Asta (Easily defeated Ladros with a slash) | Island Class (Harmed Evil Eye Raia with a punch), Island Class+ with Black Asta (Defeated Drowa with a blunt strike) | Island Class (Stronger than before), Island Class+ with Black Asta (Cut Zagred's arm alongside Yuno), Large Island Class+ with Black Divider (Sliced Zagred's heart)
Durability: Multi-City Block level (Took hits from Heath) | City level, likely far higher (Shrugged off attacks from Gauche. Took hits from a casual Vetto) | Large Mountain level+ (Comparable to his Attack Power), Island level with Black Asta (The Anti-Magic wreathing his body allowed him to easily shrug off Ladros' attack, which could pierce through his body earlier) | Island level (Shrugged off an attack from Mereoleona that forced Raia to heal), Island level+ with Black Asta (Can take hits from Drowa) | Island level (Should be as durable, if not more durable than before), Island level+ with Black Asta (Took several hits from Dark Elf Patry)
Stamina: Extremely high (Can still remain conscious after being sliced open from shoulder to hip with a diamond projectile with significant blood loss, fought an army of zombies without getting tired for several hours, and jumped through a wall of flames without flinching or receiving any damage)
Range: Extended melee range with swords, at least several dozen meters with Anti-Magic and Black Divider
- Grimoire: Asta wields a five-leaf clover grimoire, which he receives during his fight with Revchi. The grimoire is tattered and covered in dirt, a black five-leaf clover insignia at the center of its front cover. Assume that the grimoire possesses unusual magic but is otherwise ordinary. Asta is able to summon rusted swords out of it, which he uses for his Anti-Magic. His grimoire used to be a four-leaf clover grimoire that belonged to Licht.
- Demon-Slayer: Asta's first and primary Anti-Magic sword. It is the largest and heaviest of the four swords, dealing massive blunt damage with each swing and being a better shield overall, and reflect magic with the flat side. However, its heft means that it is slower than the Demon-Dweller and Demon-Destroyer, making it less suitable for parrying and reflecting high-speed attacks. After the 6 months timeskip, Asta gained the ability to fly on Demon-Slayer by channelling Anti-Magic and call it back by saying its name. By infusing Anti-Magic at the extremity of Demon-Slayer, Asta creates a spell called Black Divider. With Black Divider, Asta makes the extremity of Demon-Slayer sharper in order to deal more fatal injuries. In Devil Union, Asta changes the size of the sword itself, making it long and wide enough to deflect kilometer-sized projectiles
- Demon-Dweller: His second anti-magic weapon, which he discovered towards the end of his fight with Mars. A thinner and more ornate weapon, Asta can swing it much faster than the Demon Slayer Sword, allowing him to defend against attacks too fast for him to block with the Demon Slayer Sword and slice and stab opponents. As a trade-off, it lacks some of the heft of the Demon Slayer sword, resulting in weaker blows. After the 6 months timeskip, Asta gained the ability to summon Demon-Dweller by saying its name and create several Anti-Magic slashes by filling the sword with Anti-Magic and swinging it.
- Demon-Destroyer: Asta's third Anti-Magic sword, It can cut through magic spells with its edges, just like his other two swords. It can also severe the cause-and-effect relationship to absorb and remove the effects of magic spells as if they were never casted or even negate Reincarnation Magic. The shape of Demon-Destroyer changes when Asta is in Devil Union.
Intelligence: Average, Genius in combat. Asta is a teen that was given minimum education due to living in the boondocks at the edge of the kingdom for most of his life and is thus fairly ignorant and book dumb, but nevertheless makes up for it with his strong combat instinct which borders on precognition at times. After receiving advice from experienced Magic Knight Captains such as Yami Sukehiro and Fuegoleon Vermillion, he has become much calmer and level-headed in combat, focusing on the task at hand and maintaining his composure while under pressure. He is a fast learner and takes positive advice to heart, he managed to master the use of his Anti-Magic swords in an extremely short period of time, becoming an expert practically overnight, learned complex techniques such as Ki in less than a handful of tries and mastered it right after, and even copied the stances and battle techniques of his previous allies and opponents just by seeing them once. His ability to learn new techniques is further enhanced when he is in the midst of a battle as he always tries to surpass his limits.
Weaknesses: Reckless with little regard for his own safety, but this has lessened somewhat over the course of the story. Asta is exceptionally naive at times and is rather merciful. He can swing the Demon-Dweller Sword faster, but can't hit as hard with it and vice versa. Anti-Magic is less effective against amorphous magic such as Fog, Smoke, and Sand Magic as they can simply flow back into position. The magic projectile function of the Demon-Dweller Sword requires time to charge and the actual type of projectile fired cannot be controlled by Asta. He can only enter his Black Asta Form three times a day and doing so places an incredible strain on his muscles and bones.
Anti-Magic: Asta possesses no Magic Power and therefore is unable to use magic whatsoever. However, his lack of magic enabled Asta to wield the power of Anti-Magic, power coming from a Demon. As its name suggests, Anti-Magic has the unique ability to nullify other magical attacks without difficulty. He uses this power through swords that are stored within his grimoire corrupted by Anti-Magic. He has 3 swords: the Demon-Slayer Sword which is able to cleave through virtually any kind of magic with its edges, deflects magic back with the flat parts of the sword, the Demon-Dweller and Demon-Destroyer Swords which as well as cleaving and deflecting magic, can absorb magic for the former and revert magic effect for the latter.
- Bull Thrust: After being flung through the air, Asta points both the Demon-Slayer Sword and Demon Dweller Sword in front of himself. Any spells or magic life forms that are in front of Asta are dispelled after coming in contact with the swords. Asta is also incapable of changing direction without the help of Spatial Magic users.
- Mirrors Slash: After Asta has been multiplied with Mirrors Brigade, the Demon Dweller Sword absorb an ally's magic and, with a swing, release the magic in a flurry of flying slashes, which can nullify magic.
- Demon-Slayer Sword: Black Divider: While wielding the Demon-Slayer Sword, Asta pushes the Anti-Magic to the edges of the blade, increasing its size and extending its reach. After the Timeskip, he learned to use Black Divider without needing to transform into Black Asta
Black Asta: After being healed by the Witch Queen and nearly being defeated by Ladros, Asta discovered the ability to channel the flow of Anti-Magic emanating out of his swords through his body, greatly increasing his strength and speed while clearing his mind of all doubts and extraneous thoughts and improving his focus and clarity of mind. At first, he needs some concentration and his two hands on his sword to channel Anti-Magic and transform but can now transform into Black Asta with relative ease.
- Black Meteorite: After activating his Black Asta form, Asta lunges at his opponent, homing in on his target's Magic Power while the shroud of Anti-Magic around him nullifies oncoming magical attacks, dealing a powerful slash to the target once he is in range.
- Black Hurricane: With Anti-Magic flowing from the Demon Slayer Sword, Asta steps forward and spins around rapidly, engulfing his surroundings with arcs of Anti-Magic that nullify any magical spells or constructs they come into contact with. This ability is able to deactivate an entire field of magical traps of various kinds in an instant.
- Compound Magic 「複合魔法 Fukugō Mahō」: Despite not being able to use magic, Asta can still combine his Anti-Magic with another magic. Compound Magic is the combination of multiple different spells to create a single, more powerful spell. A smaller variation, Union Magic 「合体魔法 Gattai Mahō」 is the combination of only two spells.
- Mirrors Slash: After Asta has been multiplied with Mirrors Brigade, the Demon-Dweller Sword absorb an ally's magic and, with a swing, release the magic in a flurry of flying slashes, which can nullify magic.
Note: Compound Magic and Union Magic spells can only be used with another mage, therefore not usable in 1 versus 1 scenarios.
Ki: During the battle opposing Patry and Yami, Asta learned how to read the natural energy given off by living beings to read their current emotional state or predict their next attacks, granting him a pseudo-sixth sense for danger and enhancing his reaction speed.
Key: Beginning of Series | Eye of the Midnight Sun Arc | Witches' Forest Arc | Royal Knights Arc | Elves' Invasion Arc
|Discussion threads involving Asta (Pre-Timeskip)|