|Pre-Timeskip • Post-Timeskip|
|“||'Wasting your time'...? That's my line. I dunno how many of you there are, but I'll be the one to insta-kill you, so... All of you, bring it on. Right now!!||„|
|“||Sacrificing citizens for the sake of the country? What kind of prosperity is that?! If you want a fight that badly... Then I'll crush you all!!!||„|
|“||Now that's what makes you... human!||„|
|~ Dante about Asta's transformation|
|“||You're the type who can't kill people, aren't you? You can hate or be sad for somebody else's sake, right? In that case, we can get along! [...] Let's crush the bad guys! Together!!||„|
|~ Asta befriending Liebe|
|“||I'm going to be the Wizard King... but before that, I want to become the kind of person who can come through for Captain Yami!||„|
|~ Asta to his Devil|
|“||It's a weird feeling. Before, the things we felt overlapped. Now it's as if they've truly merged. And so it's not really about specific grudges now. All I know is that I have to take you down! I'm going to beat you and live!!||„|
|~ Asta to Lucifero|
Asta was left at an orphanage as an infant on the outskirts of the Clover Kingdom alongside another baby named Yuno. Excitable and outgoing, he dreams of becoming the Magic Emperor, the greatest mage in the kingdom.
However, Asta is one of the rare few, if not the only one to be born without the ability to use magic, but he refused to let this stop him, and continuously trained his body to compensate before finally being awarded with a grimoire of his own while getting Yuno out of a bind.
Since then, he has joined the Black Bull Squad, a group of the most rowdy and outrageous Magic Knights in the entire kingdom, using the power of his ominous Anti-Magic swords to defend those he cares about and strive towards his dream.
After the Timeskip, Asta is able to fly on Demon-Slayer by making it levitate with Anti-Magic. He also gained a new sword, which is none other than Yami's katana. He later named it "Demon-Slasher". He decided to learn how to correctly use his Devil Power by training with Nacht and was able to make a contract with his devil Liebe in order to access to the Devil Union, bring Yami and William Vangeance back and stop the other devils from bringing chaos in the world.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 6-C, possibly High 6-C, higher with Black Asta, Low 6-B with Black Divider, 6-B with Berserk Mode, far higher with Devil's Bargain | At least 6-C, possibly High 6-C, 6-B with Black Asta, far higher with Devil Union, even higher with True Devil Union
Origin: Black Clover
Classification: Human, Magic Knight, Black Bulls member, Royal Knights member, Peasant, Arcane Stage Mage, Devil Host
Powers and Abilities:
- Fusionism: (Fuses with his devil Liebe to achieve the state of Devil Union)
- Improved Power Nullification: (Asta can now use Anti-Magic itself and not just the bit of power that was trickling into his swords.)
- Improved Power Nullification: (The nullification potency of the Anti-Magic flowing out of Asta can cause an interference in Nacht's Mana Zone and even make Yuno unable to back Asta up or teleporting him with magic)
- Magical Regeneration Negation: (High; Prevented Naamah from regenerating.)
- Non-Physical Interaction (Erased Nacht's magic, which is stated to lack physical substance.)
Attack Potency: At least Island level, possibly Large Island level+ (Should be much stronger than his Pre-Timeskip Base Self. Possibly comparable to Post-Timeskip Base Noelle), higher with Black Asta (Far stronger than before), Small Country level with Black Divider (Stronger than before), Country level with Berserk Mode (Vastly stronger than before. Damaged 60% Dante), far higher with Devil's Bargain (Surpassed his limits and gave his own arm to his Devil in exchange of the true power of Anti-Magic. Damaged 80% Dante's body. Stated by Asta's Devil to be more powerful than his previous transformations) | At least Island level, possibly Large Island level+ (Stronger than before), Country level with Black Asta (Comparable to his Devil's Bargain Form. Fought off attacks from Devil Union Nacht, who can trade blows with Devil Power Dante), far higher with Devil Union (Far stronger than Devil's Bargain Black Asta. Fought both Lilith and Naamah at the same time without taking a single hit and sliced the latter in half. Deflected Naalith's "Freezing Sun" and one-shot them), Country level+ with True Devil Union (Far stronger than his initial Devil Union due to fully synchronizing with Liebe. Fought and defeated Full Power Half-Manifested Lucifero). Can ignore durability of beings made of magic with Anti Magic slashes.
Speed: At least FTL (Faster than before), FTL+ with Black Asta (Faster than before), higher with Berserk Mode (Managed to tag Dante, which was something totally impossible for him to do in his other forms), far higher with Devil's Bargain (Faster than before) | At least FTL (Faster than before), FTL+ with Black Asta (Managed to keep up with Devil Union Nacht), far higher with Devil Union (Far superior to his previous transformations. Blitzed Naamah), even higher with True Devil Union (Far faster than before)
Lifting Strength: Class K (Much stronger than his Pre-Timeskip base self), far higher with Black Asta (Stronger than before), Class G with Berserk Mode (Was able to swing his sword while being under Dante's Gravity Magic), higher with Devil's Bargain (Stronger than his Berserk Mode) | Class G (Stronger than before. Stronger than Post-Timeskip Fuegoleon, as he could somewhat stand in Half-Manifested Lucifero's gravity, something which was completely impossible for Fuegoleon to do), higher with Black Asta (Comparable to his Devil's Bargain form), Class T with Devil Union (Deflected Naalith's "Freezing Sun" back at them), higher with True Devil Union (Stronger than before)
Striking Strength: At least Island Class, possibly Large Island Class+ (Much stronger than before), higher with Black Asta (Much stronger than before), Small Country Class with Black Divider (Stronger than before), Country Class with Berserk Mode (Marked 60% Dante with a slash), far higher with Devil's Bargain (Defeated 80% Dante with a sword slash) | At least Island Class, possibly Large Island Class+ (Stronger than before), Country Class with Black Asta (Struck Devil Union Nacht's Pack clones), far higher with Devil Union (Sliced Lilith and Naamah's fusion in half), Country Class+ with True Devil Union (Sent Full Power Half-Manifested Lucifero flying with a kick)
Durability: At least Island level, possibly Large Island level+ (Should be as durable, if not more durable than before. Possibly comparable to Noelle), higher with Black Asta (Far more durable than before), Country level with Berserk Mode (Survived a beatdown from 60% Dante), far higher with Devil's Bargain (Took hits from 80% Dante) | At least Island level, possibly Large Island level+ (More durable than before), Country level with Black Asta (Took hits from Devil Union Nacht), far higher with Devil Union (Comparable to his Attack Power. Far more durable than any of his previous forms), Country level+ with True Devil Union (Tanked a punch from Full Power Half-Manifested Lucifero)
Stamina: Superhuman (Can still remain conscious after being sliced open from shoulder to hip with a diamond projectile with significant blood loss. Fought an army of zombies without getting tired for several hours, and jumped through a wall of flames without flinching or receiving any damage. Kept fighting against Vetto despite taking severe damage and having both of his arms broken. Fought and defeated Ladros while having a hole pierced into him without showing any sign of pain. Managed to re-enter his Black Asta form against Zagred and defeat him despite having just been forced out of it due to the strain it put on his body. Right before and during the Spade Kingdom Raid, Asta fought against Nacht for two days straight and continued to train with Liebe for an extended period of time, likely without sleeping, then fought and defeated an Ancient Demon with Devil Union, and immediately headed to the Spade Kingdom afterwards, where he fought and defeated Lilith and Naamah and then fought Morris afterwards despite the physical backlash of using Devil Union. Immediately after, he went on to use Devil Union after the 30-minute cooldown ran out, destroying Lucifero's incomplete vessel and then fighting him in his half-manifested state, wherein he was brutally wounded, but still managed to get back up despite Mimosa being unable to even get close to completely healing him. After having his wounds sealed by Nero but not completely healed, he re-entered the fight against the full power of Lucifero's half-manifestation, where he suffered more grave injuries and ran out Devil Union, while still having enough stamina left to deal a final blow to the Devil King in his base form)
Range: Extended melee range with swords, at least several dozen meters with Anti-Magic and Black Divider, hundred meters in Berserk Mode, kilometers with Devil Union
- Grimoire: Asta wields a five-leaf clover grimoire, which he receives during his fight with Revchi. The grimoire is tattered and covered in dirt, a black five-leaf clover insignia at the center of its front cover. Assume that the grimoire possesses unusual magic but is otherwise ordinary. Asta is able to summon rusted swords out of it, which he uses for his Anti-Magic. His grimoire used to be a four-leaf clover grimoire that belonged to Licht.
- Demon-Slayer: Asta's first and primary Anti-Magic sword. It is the largest and heaviest of the four swords, dealing massive blunt damage with each swing and being a better shield overall, and reflect magic with the flat side. However, its heft means that it is slower than the Demon-Dweller and Demon-Destroyer, making it less suitable for parrying and reflecting high-speed attacks. After the 6 months timeskip, Asta gained the ability to fly on Demon-Slayer by channeling Anti-Magic and call it back by saying its name. By infusing Anti-Magic at the extremity of Demon-Slayer, Asta creates a spell called Black Divider. With Black Divider, Asta makes the extremity of Demon-Slayer sharper in order to deal more fatal injuries. In Devil Union, Asta changes the size of the sword itself, making it long and wide enough to deflect kilometer-sized projectiles
- Demon-Dweller: His second anti-magic weapon, which he discovered towards the end of his fight with Mars. A thinner and more ornate weapon, Asta can swing it much faster than the Demon Slayer Sword, allowing him to defend against attacks too fast for him to block with the Demon Slayer Sword and slice and stab opponents. As a trade-off, it lacks some of the heft of the Demon Slayer sword, resulting in weaker blows. After the 6 months timeskip, Asta gained the ability to summon Demon-Dweller by saying its name and create several Anti-Magic slashes by filling the sword with Anti-Magic and swinging it.
- Demon-Destroyer: Asta's third Anti-Magic sword, It can cut through magic spells with its edges, just like his other two swords. It can also severe the cause-and-effect relationship to absorb and remove the effects of magic spells as if they were never casted or even negate Reincarnation Magic. The shape of Demon-Destroyer changes when Asta is in Devil Union.
- Demon-Slasher: Asta's fourth and most recent Anti-Magic sword, a katana taken from Yami Sukehiro during the last second of their battle against Dante Zogratis. Can cut spells with its edge, just like his other three swords. In Devil Union, this sword is able to cut only what its user wants to cut and making it possible to pass through Asta's allies.
Weaknesses: He can only enter his Black Asta Form three times a day and doing so places an incredible strain on his muscles and bones. His Black Asta form right after the Devil's Bargain only lasts for 50 seconds. | The Devil Union form lasts for 5 minutes.
Anti-Magic: Asta possesses no mana and therefore is unable to use magic whatsoever. However, his lack of magic enabled Asta to wield the power of Anti-Magic, power coming from a Demon. As its name suggests, Anti-Magic has the unique ability to nullify other magical attacks without difficulty. He uses this power through swords that are stored within his grimoire corrupted by Anti-Magic. He currently has 4 swords: the Demon-Slayer Sword which is able to cleave through virtually any kind of magic with its edges, deflects magic back with the flat parts of the sword, the Demon-Dweller and Demon-Destroyer Swords which as well as cleaving and deflecting magic, can absorb magic for the former and revert magic effect for the latter. He later gained Yami's Katana during his fight against Dante and gives it a name: Demon-Slasher.
- Bull Thrust: After being flung through the air, Asta points both the Demon-Slayer Sword and Demon Dweller Sword in front of himself. Any spells or magic life forms that are in front of Asta are dispelled after coming in contact with the swords. Asta is also incapable of changing direction without the help of Spatial Magic users.
- Mirrors Slash: After Asta has been multiplied with Mirrors Brigade, the Demon Dweller Sword absorb an ally's magic and, with a swing, release the magic in a flurry of flying slashes, which can nullify magic.
- Demon-Slayer Sword: Black Divider: While wielding the Demon-Slayer Sword, Asta pushes the Anti-Magic to the edges of the blade, increasing its size and extending its reach. After the Timeskip, he learned to use Black Divider without needing to transform into Black Asta
- Demon-Dweller Sword: Black Slash: Ability learnt after the six months training in the Heart Kingdom. While holding the Demon-Dweller Sword, Asta fills the sword with Anti-Magic, swings it, and releases the energy as a flying slash which cuts through magic and carries enough force to knock an opponent back into a wall or up through a ceiling. The slash does not appear to cut the opponent but can knock them unconscious. Asta could swing the sword in rapid succession to create a flurry of slashes for targeting multiple opponents.
- Causality Break「因果解放 Inga Kaihō, Viz: "Fate Release"」: It absorbs and removes the effects of spells by severing the cause-and-effect relationship. The sword emanates tendrils of Anti Magic that touch those affected by magic and then draw back into the sword, turning the blade black. Since the ability affects causality, these tendrils negate not only the magic but also its effects, such as the tissue damage caused by a magical poison; the other Anti Magic Weapons are unable to do this and affect only active magic.
Black Asta: After being healed by the Witch Queen and nearly being defeated by Ladros, Asta discovered the ability to channel the flow of Anti-Magic emanating out of his swords through his body, greatly increasing his strength and speed while clearing his mind of all doubts and extraneous thoughts and improving his focus and clarity of mind. At first, he needs some concentration and his two hands on his sword to channel Anti-Magic and transform but can now transform into Black Asta with relative ease.
- Black Meteorite: After activating his Black Asta form, Asta lunges at his opponent, homing in on his target's mana signature while the shroud of Anti-Magic around him nullifies oncoming magical attacks, dealing a powerful slash to the target once he is in range.
- Black Hurricane: With Anti-Magic flowing from the Demon Slayer Sword, Asta steps forward and spins around rapidly, engulfing his surroundings with arcs of Anti-Magic that nullify any magical spells or constructs they come into contact with. This ability is able to deactivate an entire field of magical traps of various kinds in an instant.
- Compound Magic 「複合魔法 Fukugō Mahō」: Despite not being able to use magic, Asta can still combine his Anti-Magic with another magic. Compound Magic is the combination of multiple different spells to create a single, more powerful spell. A smaller variation, Union Magic 「合体魔法 Gattai Mahō」 is the combination of only two spells.
- Mirrors Slash: After Asta has been multiplied with Mirrors Brigade, the Demon-Dweller Sword absorb an ally's magic and, with a swing, release the magic in a flurry of flying slashes, which can nullify magic.
- Mirrors Meteorite: While wielding the Demon-Slayer Sword, Asta coats himself in Anti-Magic and is then multiplied with Gauche's Magic tool, just like Mirrors Brigade. The original Black Asta and his copies then charges a target from multiple directions by using Black Meteorite.
Note: Compound Magic and Union Magic spells can only be used with another mage, therefore not usable in 1 versus 1 scenarios.
Devil Union: After the Devil-Binding Ritual, Asta gained the ability to assimilate with his devil and fuse. This transformation is much more powerful than his Black Asta mode, but he can only use it for 5 minutes and afterwards, he can't use Devil Union or Black Asta for 30 more minutes. In this state, he can overpower and kill a fused Lilith and Naamah, who were separately powerful enough to destroy concepts like darkness. Asta's presence leaks out Anti-Magic, so most magic can't be performed, but more powerful magic can still be used. Most notably, though, is the fact that Asta's and Lieber were formerly not truly merged as the feelings of one of them were overlapping the feelings of the other. However, in the final battle against Lucifero, their feelings finally merged and they achieved what Nacht believes to be "a true Devil Union."
- Demon Slasher~ Infinite Slash Equinox: While wielding the Demon-Slasher Sword in his Devil Union state, Asta raises the sword above his head and then performs a downward slash, which produces a massive Anti-Magic flying slash. The attack can travel for miles without losing its edge, and the slash will not injure the user's allies even if they are in the path of the attack.
- Due to the enhanced effects of Asta’s overflowing anti-magic in Devil Union mode, he passively erases magic in his surroundings at an accelerated rate. Therefore he is unable to enjoy any advantages offered by his allies and his allies are wary of casting spells near him. However, this could work in his favor against the enemy. This effect is less noticeable when he is in Black Mode.
- Anti-Magic, especially from Devil Union, is very effective against Devils.
Ki: During the battle opposing Patry and Yami, Asta learned how to read the natural energy given off by living beings to read their current emotional state or predict their next attacks, granting him a pseudo-sixth sense for danger and enhancing his reaction speed.
Key: Beginning of Timeskip | Spade War Arc
|Discussion threads involving Asta (Post-Timeskip)|
- Black Clover Volume 3, Chapter 22
- Black Clover Volume 5, Chapter 42
- Black Clover Volume 27, Chapter 269
- Black Clover Volume 27, Chapter 267
- Black Clover Volume 1 Chapter 4
- Black Clover Volume 25, Chapter 242
- Black Clover Volume 6, Chapter 48
- Black Clover Volume 21, Chapter 200
- Black Clover Volume 10 Chapter 97